Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic car insulation

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Not directly on topic but relevant to the discussion - one of the best things we can do to quiet things down and create a more refined/sophisticated experience inside the car is to do what's possible to stiffen up the frame/unibody. Many of us in the forum are swapping older cars/trucks. The stiffness (torsion and bending) of older vehicles is nothing close to what newer cars have designed into them -- you can thank safety regs. The older stuff bends and twists more easily - and that allows things to move. And when stuff moves, it usually makes noise. Over decades, things loosen up and move more and more. If you improve in that area before you start damping/insulating - things get even nicer. With the added benefit of having a better handling vehicle as the suspension can act on its own, as opposed to having the frame/unibody be PART of the suspension. fwiw on a rainy, cold morning.
I believe I’m suffering through this very issue right now with my 66 Chevelle.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Now THAT'S thinking outside the box.... uhh.... ROLL!
That 100 square foot roll of Peel and Seal is about $100 plus tax from Lowes. It's 3' wide by about 33' long and is very easy to cut into any size strips or squares with a metal straight edge and a sharp box cutter.

I'd still like to add some of the foam sound damper materials that are mentioned in this thread. Fox body Mustangs are noisy so I'd like to quiet mine way down.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 196 Likes on 157 Posts

+++++++1 on the Peel & Seal from Lowes. No smell at all on the hottest of Louisiana days and even stuck upside down onto the roof, it has remained in place. However, as advised above, I do recommend that it be stuck to a surface that has been clear coated for best adhesion. Any of these aluminized rubber adhesive products need a clean surface for best adhesion - rusty, metal flaky, dirty surfaces won't work here. At least not for very long.

My doors now have a very solid sound when closing without tinnyness. And I don't care one whit about adding weight to a 51 year old vehicle that it a cruiser, not a drag car.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MuhThugga
There are cheaper products than Dynamat out there that do the same thing. I've used Noico on my rides before, but I think they've increased their price lately. There are plenty of butyl options out there. Just pay attention to the thickness and square footage when comparing prices.

The old school of thought was that you need to cover every square inch of the car in sound absorption material. That isn't really the case. You simply need to place the material in areas that are prone to transmitting noise, and strips of the material will suffice in dampening noise.
The reason you don’t need to cover every inch with Dynamat or other butyl based mat is that it does NOT absorb sound. It just deadens the sound of the metal. Strategically placed pieces is all you need. Deadner is an important piece of making a car quiet but you absolutely need sound absorption too.
That said, my car is completely wiped out with Dynamat. Along with just about every other trick in the book. I like quiet.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

I tried the Peel-n-Seal once and although it did somewhat work, I found the adhesion wasn't nearly as good as Dynamat or Hushmat that I have used in other cars. If I was building a keeper, I'd opt for the better stuff. Just my opinion though.
The following users liked this post:
CattleAc (02-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Classic car insulation