Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda RX8 LS Swap Steering Rack Choices?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021 | 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Once you’ve zeroed in on possibilities, hit up guys on forums/FB/IG groups that specialize in those makes. You’ll find someone with a rack laying around that’ll take a measurement for you. Be careful - some folks will say “it’ll work” but have little idea that the bumpsteer is terrible because it really doesn’t work. Measure and compare to be sure.
Old 08-15-2021 | 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks again for the good advice. I'm gonna find someone with an RX7 rack and try and get some measurements to compare to my factory EPS rack. I can also go down to my local O'reillys auto, have them pull an MX5 rack and then take some measurements right there in the store. It's time to put my feet on the ground and get busy running around.
Old 12-02-2021 | 08:53 PM

I use an e36 rack in my car. Wisefab makes a jig that gives you the places to notch and the plates you weld in. Ls bmws are pretty common so there are a lot of info on pumps and racks. Make sure you get the rack spacers and u joint with the jig.
Old 12-03-2021 | 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

How about a canton oil pan with a hole put through it like the TBSS uses for the front drive line?

Or,, Dry sump pan.. with dry sump.
Old 12-08-2021 | 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
How about a canton oil pan with a hole put through it like the TBSS uses for the front drive line?

Or,, Dry sump pan.. with dry sump.
Hmm... I'm running the after-market LS swap oil pan right now.. If the rack needs to pass through the pan-it will have to pass through the crankshaft and spinning rods as well! There is very little clearance between the pan, and the crank, when using this pan.. So little clearance in fact that the front part of the windage tray must be removed as it will contact the pan before the pan rail contacts the engine block. Yep.. It's tight. I got the engine in.. Transmission in... and then the project stalled. I'll have some free time in the next few months to work on it.. Busy putting a Ninja 250R motor into a Chinese buggy.. good weekend fun until I can finish the Mazda.

Quick Reply: Mazda RX8 LS Swap Steering Rack Choices?