Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS and RWD swapping my Beretta

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
I missed that you'll also be swapping to the L33! That will be a nice upgrade. I'm running an LC9, which is virtually identical just Gen4 with the SDPC LS6 Power Max Plus Cam and it runs great. Uses stock LS3 valve springs which makes for a great budget cam.
I just googled that cam, not a bad choice. More lift and LSA with a little less duration than the Truck Norris NSR I've been eyeing. Any dyno sheets available on power increase on a 5.3?
I'm back & forth on camming. While I'd love the extra power up top and the sound, I'm not eager for the time required for tuning. The cam I put in my 3400 Beretta was even smaller and still took me a while to get the tune dialed in. I'm also hesitant to lose my OEM driveability and MPG for a daily, and the stock 4.8 didn't love my little trailer in 6th. I know a stock L33 will pull the trailer better, but if I cam it...probably not much improvement. 6th gear at 70 is like 1700rpm.
I'm leaning toward putting the L33 in stock and maybe upgrade later. I really need to get my Camaro done...that's the fast car with a 238@.050 .585 cam and 11:1...

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
That's pretty shitty that Moser set you up for failure and then wouldn't do anything about it.
Good job on the easy fix, even though you shouldn't have had to.
Yeah, I wasn't happy with them. I discovered Dutchman during the whole debacle and that's who I'd go with next time.
I used folded paper as shims to center the rotor a little better and it helped the vibration, so I figured correcting the pilot would be a good fix. Freakin nightmare to even put the wheels on with lug bolts and spacers when nothing piloted right. Especially when I was trying to wrangle the paper in the rotor pilot. haha
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (04-24-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Lots of daily driving. It's running/looking great and I made some more upgrades. Set the sloppy mechanics group on fire with my cut & welded control arms...but they work awesome. Gained me the steering clearance I needed, and added 2* of caster and about a degree of camber. Handles AWESOME now. I also got my rear sway bar frame brackets done and changed my torque arm bushing from a rubber trailer bushing to poly and a bracket. Braced the engine mounts to cut down on flex and I have an appt to get some door locks. haha Can it get much better? Yeah, I've got more plans...

Old 06-06-2024, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

I figured out a way to set up a 2-step rev limiter, controlled by the stock PCM with no wiring needed. It reacts super quick and it should work great for drag racing.I originally tried wiring in a clutch switch to pin 32 of the PCM to trigger the P/N tables, but that didn't work at all. So I changed my strategy and repurposed the "closed throttle base spark" table. That's actually a better solution for a few reasons:
1 - Spark advance changes recover faster that fuel injector cut...
2 - It reacts quicker in the pedal swing without needing to trip a switch at the rest position. The clutch is already fully engaged when the pedal closes the CPP switch. But the wheel speed hits 1mph as soon as the clutch starts to engage
3 - No wiring...at all. Adding the Clutch Pedal Position switch requires running a wire to pin 32 to the P01 harness and grounding the other.

The following 2 users liked this post by Woody80z28:
BFromTheD (06-09-2024), Mr. Black (06-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Crash video is up. Looks like the bumper did its job just as it was supposed to.

Was hot as hell all weekend with heat index over 100. Turnout was still good considering. We brought pop-up tents and a little splash pad for the kids. Jay tried out his first autox and got about a half dozen runs in. They all did the UMI ride-a-long with the fast autox cars too, that's always impressive. Got their first whiffs of nitromethane too from 70s funny cars. Seemed to have a good time at their first Carlisle.

So...the crash. Prob a few factors involved...pick the excuse you like best. haha. Prob the biggest one being that left-foot braking messes with my brain - haven't mastered that yet. Started raining just as the contest started. I checked the tires when I got home and they're 13 years old. Prob another reason they didn't grip as much as I expected. I have the Cleetus contest in two weeks, so I'm hoping that goes better! Who knows, accidents happen when you party.

Quad4 race car was interesting. Best of 13.0

Amish Airbnb was nice

I think Jack had the most fun of anyone

Catbox (09-09-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 605 Likes on 481 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Glad you’re ok. 👍
Old 08-13-2024, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

The Cleetus burnout contest went perfectly! This time I smashed the front and broke the brake pedal. Oof.

Maybe I could use some seat time. I was worried about putting it into the concrete barriers and that's exactly what happened. Now's prob the time to take it in for another alignment too...it always goes left.
To be rules legal for Cleetus I got some steelies and wired in an external kill switch, and for fun I took the hood and exhaust off and pointed an extra pair of headers straight up.
Everything considered the damage could have been a lot worse. Definitely gotta learn how to drive though...cause that's 0/2 this year.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Good as new! Basically. I grabbed another bumper from a buddy, The cover was pretty rough but the steel part got me back in business. The urethane straightened out pretty well with a heat gun.
Brakes weren't too tough to fix...the master cylinder pushrod was all that broke. Sucks to pull the dash again, but no new fabrication needed.
I also bought another car! Blown head gasket and rotten rockers, but it's same year and color as mine so I grabbed it. Driving a trailer through NYC is never fun, but it was only about 9 hours of driving total. And there are a couple fun things I can do with it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Woody80z28:
Catbox (09-09-2024), Jimbo1367 (09-02-2024), sugey (09-01-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 574 Likes on 356 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That's pretty sweet you scored a second Z26! What's the plan for this one?
Old 09-20-2024, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
That's pretty sweet you scored a second Z26! What's the plan for this one?
Parts cause it's pretty much junk. Rot underneath and a blown headgasket...but I do plan to do a FWD vs RWD tug of war with it.
G Atsma (09-20-2024)

Quick Reply: LS and RWD swapping my Beretta