Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piece together or complete

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2021 | 10:19 AM
Launching!

Default Piece together or complete

I want this project to be up and running a year after start rather end up like the unfinished last one. Thinking the connect and cruise might be the best choice except for a few thoughts. It is either the ls3/480 and 6l80e connect and cruise, or piece together the ls364/450 with a 4l80e. This is going in a 74 dodge dart, so there will already need to be some tunnel work needed, and leaning towards a ford 8.8 rear with 3.73's (bad choice for the 6l80e and 26" tall tires?). I want great street manners, decent mpg (20mpg?) and must have no issues with a/c. It will be a street car, not a strip car, but usually we all get the itch for more and am thinking the ls364 might be a better choice if I can fit a supercharger in there down the road..... I have a self imposed budget of 30k including aftermarket ifs k member and suspension. Any opinions/thoughts?
Old 11-02-2021 | 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Long time no see!!! What became of the Nova?

My opinion after spending way too long on my swap is do whatever will get you on the road faster. If for you that means getting a turn key package, then go with the connect & cruise - less fussing on computer/wiring/tune and there's plenty of work remaining to get it in the car anyway. This assumes the tunnel work for the 6L80E is just a matter of cutting further and not running into some major obstacle in the Dart.

With regards to rear gearing, it depends significantly the tire size. In my Nova I have 275/35R18 with 3.73s and Magnum-F 0.64 overdrive ratio. I am turning about 2,200 at 70mph in 6th gear. I recently did a 300mi trip down to Corona and back, mostly freeway but with some stop and go traffic and I averaged 18.7mpg.My 370 made 415rwhp through the old TH400 - not sure how the crank HP would compare to what you're working on, but 20mpg should be very doable at that power level with a lockup converter OD trans (either 4L80 or 6L80).
Old 11-02-2021 | 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I've done a couple of L92 LS swaps dressed as an LS3. Both had 4L60E's that were built to handle the L92's power. I haven't done the Connect and Cruise route but I think they get pretty good reviews. I've only done after market harnesses. All my LS swaps with one exception were junk yard engines. Low mileage engines. Without exception I do a mild tear down to for check wear.
The L92's had small cams installed along with better valve springs and push rods installed. On the chassis dyno they made 420 rwhp.
If are thinking some type of power adder I would I would plan ahead engine wise. Do you need forged internals? Lower compression?
Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Piece together or complete