Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB Legal LS3 Wagon Swap Project (Official Build Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Just curious, do you plan on upgrading the rear drums to disc?
At this time and for the scope of this build, i do not. but never say never.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
At this time and for the scope of this build, i do not. but never say never.
Got it. The fronts do by far most of the work, but I figured as heavy a boat as that is, you might consider it.
I bet Wilwood has the kit for it.... lol
The following users liked this post:
KW Baraka (02-27-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

#3 was great! Keep 'em coming!
NEEEEXT!! LOL
Old 01-14-2022, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Updated the original post with PART 4!

PART 4 - COILOVERS & CONTROL ARMS

ARTICLE: https://ls1tech.com/articles/carb-le...n-swap-part-4/

PARTS & PRODUCTS FEATURED
Coming Soon! - PART 5 - GOODBYE, TBI (ENGINE OUT!)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just watched #4. That wagon is really getting to HANDLE!
I hope you get the one coil-over taken care of.
Now it just needs MORE POWER!
MPalmer (01-14-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 05:10 PM
mjc
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Hotchkis rear sway bar on my old 92 roadmaster and broke 2 of them so watch for that.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It is interesting how usually everyone thinks coilovers are so sexy, and here we see that they are not necessarily the best way to go. On my '70 Impala (similar size and weight than the Roadmaster), I had excellent result with stock springs and Bilstein shocks: way cheaper than coilovers (I checked at the time), and the car turns like a go-cart!
I used to have a similar Roadmaster as a DD a few years ago, and I love the idea of trying to make it behave like a sportscar, though!!
The following 2 users liked this post by wave1957:
G Atsma (01-24-2022), KW Baraka (02-27-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wave1957
It is interesting how usually everyone thinks coilovers are so sexy, and here we see that they are not necessarily the best way to go. On my '70 Impala (similar size and weight than the Roadmaster), I had excellent result with stock springs and Bilstein shocks: way cheaper than coilovers (I checked at the time), and the car turns like a go-cart!
I used to have a similar Roadmaster as a DD a few years ago, and I love the idea of trying to make it behave like a sportscar, though!!
I agree. Many times, a good set of bars and shocks is all that's needed. Maybe some stiffer springs, but I would not do coil-overs. Unless you will be constantly adjusting, just get a set of springs at the desired rate
Old 01-24-2022, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ready for Part 5 over here!!
Old 01-28-2022, 04:33 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Ready for Part 5 over here!!
Thank you, it'll be out very soon. I have to rethink a few things in terms of how many episodes I release (#BossesAreInCharge)...

But the old drivetrain is out, engine bay is cleaned up, new fuel pump & lines are in, and new steering box in place.
G Atsma (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by wave1957
very well said!
G Atsma (01-28-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So.....

about episode 5. Did you lose the footage? j/k I'm sure you have a good reason for the delay.

Who'd have thought back when these cars were new we'd be looking back at them with such nostalgia? Love the swap.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red89GTA:
G Atsma (02-06-2022), KW Baraka (02-27-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

He's getting into the most intense part of the project, so a little space should be allowed here.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
So.....

about episode 5. Did you lose the footage? j/k I'm sure you have a good reason for the delay.

Who'd have thought back when these cars were new we'd be looking back at them with such nostalgia? Love the swap.
Hahaha, yeah, sorry about the delay. Episode 5 will be out tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. I have about an hour's worth of editing, sound mixing, and color grading left.

Funny enough, Episode 5 was ready to go out about 10 days ago, but as I was finishing it, our division's Boss suggested that I not release quite as many episodes as I had planned. Not skip anything, per see, but a little less fly on the wall. So, in addition to reconceptualizing & rediting Episodes 5 and 6 into one, I got the Audi RS 5 Sportback in for review (https://www.audiworld.com/articles/a...back-reviewed/).

But here's a preview of the thumbnail...

He's getting into the most intense part of the project, so a little space should be allowed here.
This is very much true. Episodes 1-4 were all captured in October - December (on and off work, of course, and then filming). Episode 5 is all from January. Episode 6 will document the transition from removing old things to actually installing new stuff, so there are lots of little parts to snag here and there, and I'm guessing some things won't fit as planned, hahaha. If I'm lucky, we'll go to LSFest West with it. If not, that's okay too.

I'm getting the Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing in for review tomorrow, but I'm cranking on this in every spare minute. Today, for example, I modified the F-Body crankshaft oil deflector to fit the Holley 302-2 pickup tube. And then I realized the Connect & Cruise kit doesn't include a transmission dipstick, and I gave my old one (which would have fit) away to the 92-engine's new owner, hahaha. Anyway, I'm broke.

Thank you all for the kind words and following along
The following 2 users liked this post by MPalmer:
G Atsma (02-06-2022), KW Baraka (02-27-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello, Michael and everyone else. I'm sort of a longtime lurker here that never bothered to register till now. Nice to see someone installing an E-rod into anything really. I guess cost is the big issue. I did mine back in 2015
(then re-did it in 2017).The hardest part for my application (3rd gen f-body)was the exh, cats mostly. Since you cant move them much more than 2" either up/downstream. Primaries weren't as bad as the secondary cats.
Due to the 4l65e pan and subframes being in the way. Took me a couple weekends to work that out. I'm a decent mechanic, but had never pulled a motor/trans from a car. I did mine at home in the garage. Whole conversion took me about 7 months. I actually passed the Referee test the first time, but he dinged me on the vapor line i used for the evap, rubber instead of fuel approved rubber. Also i used 4th gen f-body exh manifolds. Ref said i have to use
the supplied manifolds, no substitutes (even though the manual says you can). That's Ca. for you i guess. Overall, wasn't too difficult. Looking forward to your project progress.

Last edited by 84/89; 02-06-2022 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 84/89:
G Atsma (02-06-2022), MPalmer (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Originally Posted by 84/89
Hello, Michael and everyone else. I'm sort of a longtime lurker here that never bothered to register till now. Nice to see someone installing an E-rod into anything really. I guess cost is the big issue. I did mine back in 2015
(then re-did it in 2017).The hardest part for my application (3rd gen f-body)was the exh, cats mostly. Since you cant move them much more than 2" either up/downstream. Primaries weren't as bad as the secondary cats.
Due to the 4l65e pan and subframes being in the way. Took me a couple weekends to work that out. I'm a decent mechanic, but had never pulled a motor/trans from a car. I did mine at home in the garage. Whole conversion took me about 7 months. I actually passed the Referee test the first time, but he dinged me on the vapor line i used for the evap, rubber instead of fuel approved rubber. Also i used 4th gen f-body exh manifolds. Ref said i have to use
the supplied manifolds, no substitutes (even though the manual says you can). That's Ca. for you i guess. Overall, wasn't too difficult. Looking forward to your project progress.
I'm definitely nervous about the cat pipes, but a buddy of mine put me in touch with a good fabricator so I'm ready to get things adjusted as needed.

Do you have any videos of your car running? I'd love to see and hear it! And how has it been over these last 7 years?
Old 02-06-2022, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Unfortunately, i dont have any vids. It sounds about the same as a factory LS3 car. Even though i have the holley blackheart exhaust on it. The exhaust note is pretty subtle. When i get on it though, it does wake up a bit. So far so good, i've had zero issues with it and passes smog with flying colors. The smog techs cant believe how low the numbers are and how much HP it makes.

The cats are probably your biggest hurdle. Since you can only move them up or down 2" and the two cats cant be more than 4" apart or closer than 2" from each other. So if you move the primary 2" downstream. You need to move the secondary cat enough to keep it at least two inches, but not more than four inches from the primary. On the plus side, you can change the angle/s and/or rotate pretty much any way you want. Its a little confusing/frustrating at first, but its do-able.I think in your roadmaster you should have plenty of room. Or at least more than an f-body anyway.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:19 PM
LS1Tech Editor

PART 5: GOODBYE, TBI (Old Engine OUT, Fuel System IN)

PRODUCTS & PARTS FEATURED
Old 02-07-2022, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice work! That boat is gonna handle AND go a lot better than it has a right to!
Can't wait for Part 6. The GOOD PART!
MPalmer (02-07-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Does GM do any upgrading to that rebuilt 65e? I went with a new 65e, but the max HP is below the LS3's 430 hp rating. Sometimes i wish id gotten the 70e, but its holding up fine so far.

Quick Reply: CARB Legal LS3 Wagon Swap Project (Official Build Thread)