Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 3.8l V6 auto to LS1 T56

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022 | 09:02 PM
Launching!

Well, changed the booster and I’m back in business. Got breaks again. 🍺🍺 And and installed a catch can while I was at it. Now it idles really low??? Any ideas? Auto trans still in.

Old 06-11-2022 | 09:05 AM
Launching!

Well, the low idle/stalling fixed it self the next morning. Started it up to se if I can see something a miss under the hood, it stumbled for a second and then just kicked in to normal. I wonder if the vacuum to the new brake booster had to sort it self out for a bit maybe?? I’m just glad I’m back on track with the swap now.
Old 06-13-2022 | 10:25 AM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barn Find CETA
Well, the low idle/stalling fixed it self the next morning. Started it up to se if I can see something a miss under the hood, it stumbled for a second and then just kicked in to normal. I wonder if the vacuum to the new brake booster had to sort it self out for a bit maybe?? I’m just glad I’m back on track with the swap now.
Glad to hear the issue resolved itself. And glad to hear you have brakes! I guess I can't comment on why it had a low idle for a while, but unless it presents itself again I'd say keep thrashing forward.
Catch can looks sweet!
Old 06-19-2022 | 07:10 PM
Launching!

Alright, hoist time happening on the 27th, one week away!! So as per protocol I have a few last minute questions. 😁😁

Should I pre lube the pilot bearing? And if I should, am I use Red &Tacky grease???

And, once the auto trans cooler lines are disconnected from the radiator, do those holes in the radiator need to be plugged? Looped somehow? Left open? Hold my fingers in the holes ?

The t56 was just rebuilt before I bought it. He did not use it after the rebuild. I’m using stock oil in it. Does that oil needs to be changed after the trans brakes in??? Is it like a engine with braking in oil changes? Or it’s just good to go?? Thanx for the info.
Old 06-21-2022 | 07:40 AM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

Alright, hoist time happening on the 27th, one week away!! So as per protocol I have a few last minute questions. 😁😁

Should I pre lube the pilot bearing? And if I should, am I use Red &Tacky grease???

And, once the auto trans cooler lines are disconnected from the radiator, do those holes in the radiator need to be plugged? Looped somehow? Left open? Hold my fingers in the holes ?

The t56 was just rebuilt before I bought it. He did not use it after the rebuild. I’m using stock oil in it. Does that oil needs to be changed after the trans brakes in??? Is it like a engine with braking in oil changes? Or it’s just good to go?? Thanx for the info.
The countdown begins! I did not lube the pilot bearing and any videos I watched did not show any lubing of the pilot bearing.
I would think you can just plug the trans cooler plugs, no need to loop since there isn't anything flowing. You can probably also just leave them open, but might drip some left over trans fluid.
I've never run a rebuilt trans but from a quick search, just throw some cheap Dex3 ATF in there and drive it, and maybe change the fluid in 500 - 1000 miles.
Old 06-29-2022 | 02:39 PM
Launching!

Soo, the T56 is in and it’s perfect!! Shifts good, no whining or grinding of any kind. Got lucky with the transmission as I got it sight unseen.

Now about all this wiring, what do you guys do with it?? It’s the big trans plug, rear 02 sensor wires and the speed sensor that I have to stretch out to the back. Any and all advice is welcomed.

In front of the shop.
Old 07-01-2022 | 08:33 PM
Launching!

All finally buttoned up. What a process it was. But in reality I wasn’t to bad. The local performance shop charged me $1000 to swap the actual trans, and they put it my poly engine mounts. So I thought that was really reasonable. How fast do you guys go when you shift in to 6th?? At 80 it’s turning barely over 1000 rpm’s!!! Gears seem very tall. Supper smooth though. Now a major wash and it’s car show time. Oh seems like braking in the clutch is gonna be a drag. Can’t get on it to hard. Lol.

Old 07-05-2022 | 07:15 AM
Staging Lane
15 Year Member

All finally buttoned up. What a process it was. But in reality I wasn’t to bad. The local performance shop charged me $1000 to swap the actual trans, and they put it my poly engine mounts. So I thought that was really reasonable. How fast do you guys go when you shift in to 6th?? At 80 it’s turning barely over 1000 rpm’s!!! Gears seem very tall. Supper smooth though. Now a major wash and it’s car show time. Oh seems like braking in the clutch is gonna be a drag. Can’t get on it to hard. Lol.
Awesome to hear it's all done! Congrats!

Your gear does seem very tall. The stock T56 cars came with 3.73 gears from the factory. The stock A4 cars came with either 2.73's or 3.23's. You can check your RPO codes on the drivers door to see what gear it came from the factory with - GU5 (3.23) or GU2 (2.73).

I swapped a stock T56 rear end in (3.73's) and I run about 1700 RPM at 75 MPH.

I used this calculator (go to the bottom to find the RPM calculator - choose 1998 F-Body M6) https://www.andysautosport.com/learn...r/calculators/
and I put 2.73's in, and your RPM's at 80 MPH would be around 1400 with 245/50 R16 tires.

Another thing I see, your gauge cluster only goes to 120 mph? Not sure if that is a Canadian thing - but the V6 clusters go to 120 mph, and the V8 clusters should go to 150mph.
Old 07-05-2022 | 10:43 AM
On The Tree

has anyone done t56 to auto here?

Quick Reply: 1998 3.8l V6 auto to LS1 T56