Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to fit M14x1.25 temp sending unit. Relocate ecu sending unit to other side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need to fit M14x1.25 temp sending unit. Relocate ecu sending unit to other side?

Hi guys,

My swap requires a gauge sending unit that unfortunately has m14x1.25 threads. I can't seem to locate (or fabricate due to the size differences) an adapter to fit into the M12 threads in the heads. My last ditch attempt will be to drill out and tap the head for an M14x1.25 thread. However, on the RH rear plug in the head, I don't have room to drill and tap in my swap. I would have much more room if I used the LH front plug where the current ecm sending unit resides.
Has anyone moved the stock ecm sending unit to the opposite rear port in the rh head, and if so, any negative impact due to the temperature difference?

Barring that, I'm open to ideas!

Thanks gents!
Old 09-22-2022, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Found another thread where it was asked, so I guess it's ok to do so.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Yeah, there is no issue moving the pcm sender to the rear position other than the wiring. I moved mine to the passenger side rear to "clean up" the wiring on my swap.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Other option is to turn down the sender to 12mm and run a die down it to cut the threads. Thats what I've done on mine. If you don't have access to a lathe, but you are careful and halfway handy, you could lightly chuck the sender in a drill press, to spin it. Then just use a file against the rotating sender to take it down to size (my experience is it needs to be in the range of around 11.7-11.5mm for the die to grab). Use a copper washer to create the seal to the head.

I run my factory sender in the drivers head and my Corvette sender in the passenger head.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

Honeywell and Delphi make a lot of different senders, you can look at the published characteristic curves and use the one that's closest to what you have. It's just a gauge, close enough is good enough.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks gent (I went through some sender lists but couldn't find anything that was close enough). I ended up moving the stock sender to the rear RH side (no room to drill and tap), and drilled and tapped the stock location to M14x1.25.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need to fit M14x1.25 temp sending unit. Relocate ecu sending unit to other side?