Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&P header problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S&P header problems?

Hey guys, first time posting here, I'm usually over at team camaro. . . but I need your help;-)
Anyway, I have a '68 Camaro with a '98 LS1. The motor mount adaptor plates are home made, but are pretty much identical to the s&p ones. The mounts are energy suspension.
So here’s my list of problems so far . . .

1st:the rag-joint on my pwr steering box hits the back tube, not just slightly, but is pushing the rag-joint over.

2nd: the clearance between the tubes and the steering box is about 1/16"
are they always that close?

3rd: what type of plug wires work with these headers? I bought an MSD set, but the boots hit the tubes. I saw that s&p sells Taylor wires, are they the only ones that fit?

Lastly, do these headers really flow any better than the stock manifolds?

Thanks for the help,
-Ryan
Old 07-25-2004, 12:20 PM
Launching!

any pictures....when i received my s & p headers they was tac welded to test for fit ...but that was in 2001 lol I dont know how is the process now but my headers are real close too ...oakland ca
Old 07-25-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

S&P products are notorious for poor fit .. get in touch with them and try to remedy as soon as possible. It seems to be the case for more than just me. Here is just one of my bad experiences with S&P- crap parts with crap service:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/115169-caution-s-p-what-s-deal-these-guys.html
Old 07-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Teching In

here are a few pics, everything's a bit dirty, but you get the idea. . .
I've actually had these for about a year, and if I remeber, it took about 2 months to get them.

http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/DSC00689.JPG

http://www.ls1camaro.net/freehosting/DSC00692.JPG
Old 07-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Teching In

I just sat the engine back about another 1 1/2 inches and everything cleared. Still having problems with the number 4 (straight) wire fitting. I was even able to mount my alt in the factory location.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Launching!

YEP mines were like that but they rebended them and sent them back and i test fitted them again and then sent them back for the coating ...done!! ...but i dont know if they send them finished now ...whats the deal with it ...my taylor wires fit good on the #5 cylinder it fits tight ...but i used a metal jacket on that one and i use the grinded socket if i wanna exchange that spark plug
Old 07-28-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,499 Likes on 935 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The boots on the MSD wires can be bent as needed. I would make sure that your engine is centered in the chassis. If the mounts are slightly off, the engine can over just a bit. Check your tailshaft to see that it is centered between the frame rails. You can also use a nice U-joint instead of the rag joint, to gain clearance.

http://www.flamingriver.com/joint1.htm

Andrew

Quick Reply: S&P header problems?