Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 66 mustang swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023 | 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Default Possible 66 mustang swap

So, i helped my best friend dig out the 66 mustang he drove in high school, blew the motor in college, then wound up with life and divorce and 4 kids and....

While im the guy that instigated the ls swap discussion, I'm needing to check sone thoughts. Id still rather see this car with a 5.0/t5 combo, he wants 300rwtq, efi, automatic overdrive, and inexpensive. Which runs us to junkyard ls stuff.

First, is there any build threads i can't find on ls 64-66 mustangs? Im building it on paper first, to make sure i can do this with a 5k budget, no cutting or welding of the car, and minimal fabrication. Im thinking drive by cable truck intake, block hugger headers, f body pan minimum.

Anyway, tgeres a locally available 5.3 from a buick rainier with the aluminum block. What do i need to know about this as compared to the suburban 5.3 i run in the race car? Any gotchas?

4l60s around here are worth about 1k+ from the junkyards. And i am not planning to try my luck at rebuilding one. However, we have a 700r4 in the corner thats from about 1990 suburban. So, the later upgraded version. What is the deal with doing a tv cable to an ls? I know about the $150 speedway flexplate and spacer kit. Any way to activate the converter lockup from the ls pcm?

Thanks in advance yall.
Old 04-23-2023 | 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Man you are going to have haters if you put an LS in a 66 Mustang.
From what I have read you will need to run a GTO LS front sump pan to clear the Mustang cross member.
I considered a LS swap into my 66 Mustang but it would have killed the resale value.
I went with a 302/T5 combo. It was a great project.

Quick Reply: Possible 66 mustang swap