Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2 swap fan control issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2 swap fan control issues

Good afternoon. I am working on a 6.2 swap in a 1987 s10 4x4.
Moving along but have a few issues I am struggling with. I have a standalone harness and ecu done buy a guy here in Ontario. The issue is i can not get the fans to run. The fuse box I was provided has relay and 12v fused outlet for the fan but the fan setup I have is from a 2016? Sierra and has a small brown and yellow wire as well. I have suspect this is to go to the ecu I do not have that input. The fan output I have is controlled by the ecu as the 12v output is not energized until up to temp.
I did read a number of forums talking about standalone systems but they were way over my head. I suspect I have everything I need here just don't know how to do it.
Any help would be awesome
Old 05-26-2023, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 171 Posts

Most of these PCM devices only complete a ground when the temperature is hot enough which then triggers a relay to operate the fan. There should be diagrams around here to help you with this setup.

You can also do it standalone with a very easy to install Four Seasons part number 35879 for maybe forty dollars USD. This device is completely adjustable for whatever fan temperature you desire while also immediately turning on a fan when the AC compressor kicks in - this to limit excessive compressor head pressures.

Rick
Old 05-28-2023, 07:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=B52bombardier1;20502019]Most of these PCM devices only complete a ground when the temperature is hot enough which then triggers a relay to operate the fan. There should be diagrams around here to help you with this setup.

You can also do it standalone with a very easy to install Four Seasons part number 35879 for maybe forty dollars USD. This device is completely adjustable for whatever fan temperature you desire while also immediately turning on a fan when the AC compressor kicks in - this to limit excessive compressor head pressures.

Rick[/QUOTE

I already have a standalone harness and ecu though. The system I have only sends fan power when up to temp. The issue I have though is that the fan itself has the little brown wire that requires ecu input that I don't have. Do I really need a seperate standalone to run the fans? I thi k it would be easier to switch to aftermarket fans that only have 2 wires. I'm stuck]
Old 05-28-2023, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 927 Posts

[QUOTE=pedlarma;20502194]
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Most of these PCM devices only complete a ground when the temperature is hot enough which then triggers a relay to operate the fan. There should be diagrams around here to help you with this setup.

Rick[/QUOTE

I already have a standalone harness and ecu though. The system I have only sends fan power when up to temp. The issue I have though is that the fan itself has the little brown wire that requires ecu input that I don't have. Do I really need a seperate standalone to run the fans? I thi k it would be easier to switch to aftermarket fans that only have 2 wires. I'm stuck]
Are you saying that you have a PWM fan? If that is the case, depending on the ECU and OS, you may be able to enable the PWM control in the ECU. Talk to whoever build your harness.

If you were using Holley EFI, it would be easy peasy...

Andrew

Quick Reply: 6.2 swap fan control issues