Sponsored by:

Smog legal 5.3 advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Smog legal 5.3 advice

Hey Guys,
I am doing a resto on my 95 Sierra and thought maybe a 5.3 ls could be a good upgrade to complete the truck. Can anyone school me on what engine would my best choice for a fun driver that is smog legal. It doesn’t need to be a race truck just fun and reliable

Vince

Old 11-30-2023, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,222 Likes on 2,514 Posts

I don't know which state you're in, but here in California which is likely the strictest, you can swap in any engine the same year or newer as the vehicle involved, as long as you retain all smog equipment on the engine, plus being the truck is a 95, cats are required. Other than that, it's pretty wide open
Old 11-30-2023, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Socal and have to deal with all the smog laws unfortunately, I plan on going with a 5.3 as I dont need a race truck, so far I have read and seen that the gen 4 are the better options?
Old 11-30-2023, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,222 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by vince72
I live in Socal and have to deal with all the smog laws unfortunately, I plan on going with a 5.3 as I dont need a race truck, so far I have read and seen that the gen 4 are the better options?
As far as smog is concerned it really makes no difference. A Gen III would be easier to deal with as none of them have VVT or AFM/DOD to mess with. The Gen IV makes a little more power but not enough to be concerned about.
I deal with the same laws as you as I'm in central Cal.
Find any good LS engine you can get your hands on and get wrenching. It doesn't matter which one smog-wise.

Quick Reply: Smog legal 5.3 advice