Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to swap a GenIII 4.8 with a GenIV LFA 6.0..I'll hold the flashlight for you!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How to swap a GenIII 4.8 with a GenIV LFA 6.0..I'll hold the flashlight for you!

I have a GenIII Silverado with a 4.8 that took a crap, but I already have an aluminum block GenIV LFA 6.0 laying around (minus the flex plate, accessory pumps, starter, belt tensioner, intake, and coils). The LFA used 243 heads, so swapping the 4.8's TBSS intake is no issue. The 4.8 also has upgraded BTR roller bearing rockers, BTR chromoly pushrods, Melling VS-2257 springs, and LS7 lifters that I can "borrow" from it, and albeit, a bit small for the 6.0, a BTR Truck Norris cam, too. So in regards to the 6.0, other than new lifter trays and an AFM and VVT delete, it's reasonably complete. The GenIII has also been swapped over to electric fans already, so that part of swapping to the GenIV is not issue. I'm curious however, if the GenIII flex plate, and then subsequent torque converter/tranny, mating will be straight forward, or will I need a "GenIV flexplate" then use an adapter in order to fit the current converter and semi-built 4l60e.

Outside of that, I'm really not sure what I will be needing, if anything to round out the swap other than I know my PCM will not plug and play with the GenIV's front mounted cam sensor as it is, but would it work if I were to just extend and re-route the harness from the back of the block to the front?

The knock sensor difference, at first glance, appears to me that the easiest way to make it work would be to drill and tap the block and keep running the GenIII knocks, but I have no intention, nor desire, to pull the bottom end out of the block in order to clean those shavings out since the bottom end is already good as-is, and I'm not sure if something as outrageous as drilling holes in the side of the block for knock sensors would even be a viable option to make work anyhow. Are there kits or magic spells or anything like that available?

Basically, I'm in looking for those who have done similar GenIV into GenIII swaps before who'd be a rockstar by being kind enough to break down for me what I will need to make this work. If so, I'd be forever indebted to you, and if I had a sister, I'd even let you sleep with her (I DO have a brother though if that's your thing, but you're gonna have to be the one to tell him). My budget for this swap is essentially non-existent though. As in, I've already come to terms with the relatively-high likelihood that I may have to take the 4.8's serpentine belt, o-rings, and rubber gaskets to work with me for lunch next week.

In advance, thanks a ton for any help. I appreciate it more than I could ever accurately express with words. Again though, I have a brother if your into that. He's not, so you'll want to stretch beforehand, and possibly bring a taser.

Again, thanks!
Old 12-05-2023, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts

You need to swap the reluctor wheel on the back of the crank. The cam sensor just needs the 1x cam gear and it will work with the front mount sensor.

Knock sensor needs drill and tap. You don't go into the block though if I am remembering correctly.

Flex plate just use your old one.

Also you need a tune. I am sure you know this though.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (12-05-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 568 Likes on 354 Posts

If you didn't want to swap reluctors(requires that you remove the crank), you can always get the Lingenfelter box that converts the crank and cam 58x and 4x signals to 24x and 1x.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts

Ewwww lingenfelter box

Quick Reply: How to swap a GenIII 4.8 with a GenIV LFA 6.0..I'll hold the flashlight for you!