Sponsored by:

radiator height and steam line

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default radiator height and steam line

Greetings all.

I am getting ready to make a new upper and lower radiator support for my LS swap 07 mustang. I am running a radiator with a non-pressurized overflow catch can. Typically, the fill point of the radiator should be above the engine's highest coolant point, and we see this with degas tanks, etc., in modern vehicles. With the setup I am running, do I need to be sure the top of the radiator is above the coolant in the heads? Does the steam line system that LS motors use make any difference regarding this? I have a Meziere electric WP.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2024, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I am going to fab it up so the radiator is as high as possible.

Looks like there's nothing special about the steam line stuff.

Thanks all for reading. Will post pics in my build thread of the radiator and A2A inrtercooler mount, etc., when we get them done.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Yes, ideally the steam vent should exit above the water line at the highest point of the system. If this is not possible you can buy a pressurized "Swirl pot".

Or... just fake it. I've plumbed them back into the water pump and even just burped the system well and blocked them off. This is not ideal, but I had no issues overheating so take it for what its worth. The importance of a functioning steam vent system depends on your application IMHO. On a non-turbo super mild street build... prob not super important. On an all out drag forced induction deal... I'd want it working well.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply!

I will do that and then check temps once I get all together and get some miles on it.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 236 Posts

On my LS swaps I've used a few different solutions for the steam line.
My 98 Wrangler I plumbed into the water pump. 15 years on the swap no issues.
My 73 Camaro I plumbed into the upper radiator hose. You can just see the splice in the upper radiator hose. Again no issues.
Current 80 Camaro plumbed into the radiator just below the upper radiator hose. No issues.
As said above the important thing is to get all the air out of the system.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Nice! Thanks! Basically, I will try to have it re-enter as high as possible, maybe an adapter with 1/8 npt right near the radiator, or even drill and tap the radiator for it. I have a coolant vacuum fill tool and will use that when I fill the system.

I like that black radiator cover you have! Might have to make something similar for my car.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

I've done the steam line to water pump deal...working fine on my weekend toy. No regrets.
The following users liked this post:
07GTLS (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 318 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
I've done the steam line to water pump deal...working fine on my weekend toy. No regrets.

Same here...except I daily mine, works fine.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:18 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

If you read up on the whole theory of operation and design you want small diameter tubing on the front vents only. Thats why GM did away with rear vents. Whole idea is to keep velocity way up so it can "scrape" air bubbles out of the awkward tiny "nooks and crannies" in the head. When you have opposition to flow by plumbing it into a high pressure area or and area with back flow, it defeats the purpose. Same deal with using -6 or other huge aftermarket line kits. It kills velocity and basically makes it all work poorly.

Like I said tho... you can block the damn things off and it will still "work". Def not gonna implode your engine without a steam vent.

07GTLS (02-09-2024)
Old 06-08-2024, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Welded in a 1/8 npt port on the top of the radiator for the steam line. Clean and easy.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Forcefed86 (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: radiator height and steam line