Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 with 4l80e using stock rad enough trans cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lq4 with 4l80e using stock rad enough trans cooling?

I have a 76 corvette and im wondering if the stock radiator has a large enough cooler? Im not sure if the fitting size or pipe size in the radiator is too small and will restrict flow or not? Does anyone know on this?
Heres the radiator specs. The Engine is stock performance. If i can make this rad work I will, If i have to piggyback an extra cooler I can do that as well if i have to.

I have another option of using the c5 radiator and installing a surge tank, which i am considering as I dislike where the rad fill is way under the hood on these cars lmao.

2nd image is the c5 rad specs for the transmission cooler side.

Last edited by ToastedPirate; 02-23-2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

You have left out the most important part of this... the stall converter.
The stock 4l80e converters don't make much heat, you will be just fine with the original transmission cooling system.
If you have a large stall converter and drive the car aggressively or lots of stop and go traffic, you will want an additional cooler.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wlink14
The stock 4l80e converters don't make much heat, you will be just fine with the original transmission cooling system.
If you have a large stall converter and drive the car aggressively or lots of stop and go traffic, you will want an additional cooler.
Sorry by stock engine I really mean stock engine and transmission. I'm just trying to get the rig moveable for now so I'm ready when I leave my job and move towns. Trying to make it so I can drive it there instead of towing it.

As I build the car later I will go through and performance everything. Right now I'm running a free 6.0l and trans. Got a whole van for nothing.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 336 Likes on 246 Posts

Kind of two schools of thought on this. My 98 Wrangler with a LS6/4L60E swap uses the radiator trans cooler. Its a aftermarket rad from Novak in Logan UT. Been 15 years with no issues. Had the trans serviced last summer for the first time and everything looked great. Stock 2002 Camaro converter.
But and there is always a but on my current 80 Camaro project I'm using a aftermarket generic LS rad without a trans cooler. So I typically run a B&M stacked plate trans cooler. 3000 stall converter with lock up. Used this combo on a few LS swaps with zero issues.
Pic of my 80 with the B&M trans cooler.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 533 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by wlink14
What he said.

With stock converter and just to move it, you should be ok with cooler in rad.

BTW, nice score.... 6.0 van for your C3. You may have hood clearance issues with intake and alternator with stock hood. Some rework on the trans mount and and shorten the driveshaft, shorter oil pan and you're done.

Last edited by LSswap; 03-01-2024 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Lq4 with 4l80e using stock rad enough trans cooling?