Sponsored by:

5.3 swap V6 Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 11:26 AM
dmv
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.3 swap V6 Firebird?

I have a 2000 v6 Firebird and my 3.8l is taking a fat **** on me. Before anyone says it would be cheaper and easier to just get a T/A, I got this car for $250. I rather put the work in then pay 10k. I really want to know if i should 5.3 swap it? Would I be able to make lots of power with a 5.3? I'm trying to get a v8 in with a budget and need to know what else i would need to do the car in order to swap it?
Old 06-20-2024, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Hello,

First off . . . what state are you in? Does it have strict state emissions control laws?

If you get a running truck 5.3 liter motor for the swap, you are looking at needing a new oil pan because the truck pans are deep and hang low. Holley makes a good pan for this, their model 302-5. You will need motor mounts and I went most recently with the ICT Billet part number 551028-LS01 “Builders Engine Mount Kit” in my Catalina but there will need to be some experimentation here for height and forward-rear bias for your Firebird. Once you are satisfied for height, oil pan clearance, firewall clearance and the pinion angle towards the rear differential, the frame stands get welded to the engine cradle between the frame rails.

What transmission are you considering? You will need to either move your transmission crossmember or buy something different. The driveshaft length will likely need to change and be rebalanced.

What will you use for a wiring harness and a PCM? For ease of the swap, try to stick with something LS from 1999 to about model year 2007.5. These engines don't have Active Fuel Management and are easier to tune. From about model year 2017 and newer, they become even more difficult to swap in and tune.

Exhaust manifolds for you?? See if you can use the stock LS engine exhaust manifolds but they are a little bulky, especially at the exit flanges. My Catalina got a set of Chevy S-10 truck exhaust headers that work well because they are designed to tuck in tightly to clear the frame rails. But you will need a special thin-walled, deep well socket for removing and installing some of the spark plugs.

Yes, you can make a lot of power with a 5.3 but it'll cost money. The ripple effects here move to needing a stouter transmission and changes to your differential gearing and rear suspension.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Y2K_Frenzy (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

If you’re not doing the labor you’ll probably have close to $10k in a swap.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Click on the stikied threads at the top of this section.

I did the LT->LS a long time ago:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...on-sticky.html

Later V6 to LS here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-w-pics-2.html

Between those two is enough info to get it done. LT1 Fbody Radiator & Fans, and all the LS Fbody Parts out there needed will do it. K-Member, Stands, Trans Crossmember, etc...
The following 2 users liked this post by the_merv:
G Atsma (06-20-2024), Y2K_Frenzy (06-20-2024)

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap V6 Firebird?