Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk's LS1 tubular K-member

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hawk's LS1 tubular K-member

just got this today , thought i'd post a few pics of it for you thirdgen swappers, note the strategic placement of my LS1/T56 in the background , lol .nice quality ,powdercoating looks good, weighs maybe 20-30 lbs and all the original LS1 engine accessories will fit now with no modifications , woo hoo!
Attached Thumbnails Hawk's LS1 tubular K-member-kmember11.jpg   Hawk's LS1 tubular K-member-kmember22.jpg   Hawk's LS1 tubular K-member-kmember33.jpg  
Old 08-20-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats great, How does the quality look?? About how much weight savings do you think?? I plan on ordering one of these pretty soon.

Clint
Old 08-20-2004, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Default Ls1 3rd Gen k-member

Looks just like a Pa Racing unit?
Old 08-20-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing i wonder is if it is available in chromoly? their site only mentions mild steel. also i woudl like a manual rack set up, guess i would have to get that someplace else.

later
tim
Old 08-21-2004, 05:53 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to answer some of your questions:i would have to say the factory third gen k-members have to weigh at least 100 lbs., probably more , i can easily pick up the hawk's unit with one hand.the powdercoating was top notch , very pleased with it.welds were clean and complete. i talked to Bruce Hawkins, the owner of Hawk's Thirdgen Parts at great length , he stated these were fabbed at a local race shop, and was completely confident they were quite sturdy for street use.they looked a lot like the BMR 4th gen k-members (i have seen one up close) to me in design.the main reason i bought was to retain the LS1's a/c compressor and a 2nd reason is they just look so trick. the factory k-member is a much more economical alternative but that's something i'm NOT concerned about although completely understandable that you might be . i do believe it is available in chromoly , need to call Bruce on that one. i have heard nothing but total praise for him and his business and the guy really is a f-body fanatic. his website is www.hawksthirdgenparts.com check it out! lots of f-body pics and thirdgen pics. there is a mention of an available rack and pinion set up but get your wallet out for that one.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Default weight of a factory 3rd gen

Weight of a stock 3rd gen k-member is 54lbs. A tubular unit is 24-16 depending on material used. Pa Racing has offered these units for last 4 yrs. We also make manual and power rack kits for 3rd gens. For more info check www.paracing.com
Old 08-22-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Weight of a stock 3rd gen k-member is 54lbs. A tubular unit is 24-16 depending on material used. Pa Racing has offered these units for last 4 yrs. We also make manual and power rack kits for 3rd gens. For more info check www.paracing.com
Great to see a sponsor get on here and chime in, glad to here hit. Jason, do ya'll offer or have thought of offering a thirdgen k-member with LS1 Mounts?? Much rather buy from a sponsor than a non-sponsor. I heard that sphon was working on one, but never heard any updates of them completeing one. Thanks for the info.

edit-It appears that ya'll will be offering an LS1 k-member, can'ts wait to see how it is going to come out. let us know when you get it done.

Clint

Last edited by CamaroCain; 08-22-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Hawk's LS1 tubular K-member