Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th gen swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen swap

I am considering doing an engine swap later this year and thought I would start collecting information and things to look out for now. First, what would I have to change on a 6.0 motor for it to bolt up to a t-56 tranny? I would think that I would need to change anything except the flywheel but I am not sure. Also, would it be worth it to swap a 6.0 or an ls1 while keeping in mind performance, power, and alot of potential for future plans. I am thinking either 408 stroker with a turbo in the future, or a stock bottom end ls1 with a built top end, and later on a stroker crank and turbo. From what I have gathered, I basically need a v8 engine cradle/motor mounts, and a t-56 crossmember from the same year as the car, wiring harness, a latemodel tank and pump, and possibly a driveshaft. The reason I was considering a 6.0 swap is because the fuel system is simplified because they both have feed and return lines. And I can just tap the new fuel pump relay to the old wiring. What about the egr equipment? Should I just rip it out and throw it away or should I keep it. The car will need to stay street legal and pass emissions so what should I do? What is everyone else doing for this? I dont know whether to just hook it up to a computer or to run it through a sniffer test. Is there anything else I am leaving out? I would really like this swap to go quickly and smoothly, so if there is anything I missed or any recommedations or things to look out for, please let me know.

Remington
Old 08-23-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you considered holding off and just puttng in an LS2?!!!!

The 6.0 will work as you stated with the correct F-body clutch set-up, however you can solve the fuel line issue by either using a '99 & newer C5 fuel filter with the return line and use a standard F-body or late mode C5 single fuel line fuel rail.

If you are planning a turbo in the future the 6.0 heads have large chambers for low compression so this is good. You could still go either way depending on your budget.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Launching!

I would love to stick an ls2 in there but I am in college and dont have the dough to sport for one of those. I was thinking 6.0 because I could probably score one for 1500 bucks complete. I also know of a place where I can score an ls1/t-56 from an 01 ss for 1600 straight up complete with wiring and computer so I am still in a decision making process. I will pb go the ls1 route since I wont be able to get a turbo kit for some time. Plus I am wanting to go high cr to start out with, and thats where the ls1 shines. Hopefully I can make up my mind soon and get it goin. BTW nice monte carlo, I though about that too but I want to stick to a later f-body foundation.

Remington
Old 08-23-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have to be careful with the 6.0's ... If you get the version that had a 4L80e behind it, the crankshaft will stick out too far. If you get the version that had a 4L60e behind it, everything bolts up the same as your LS1 (minus two missing bolt holes for the alternator, no big deal).

Quick Reply: 4th gen swap