Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting/idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004 | 03:06 PM
Launching!

Default starting/idling problem

I have recently gotten my k5 blazer with a 6.0 in running condition, but this past week i tried to start it and it wouldnt stay running, so i thought it was the maf. But when i went to plug in the new one, i left the connector off and it started up great, but started to race as soon as it was started without me pressing the throttle??????? But when i plugged in the new one, it did the same thing. It just starts and runs for a second or two and dies. Any ideas??????? sry i am trying to type with a broken finger. I have checked and rechecked all the plugs, grounds, connectors, and also the 02 censors, upgraded the fuel pump, and everything that I can possibly think of. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Remington
Old 09-04-2004 | 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

When the MAF is faulty or disconnected, it forces the PCM into an open loop type operating setup. This typically increases the idle speed via the IAC (Idle Air Control) solenoid located on the side of your throttle body. It basically has a plunger that opens/closes to allow more air to bypass the t-body blade.

As for your engine starting and dying, it could mean that you need to drill out the small hole on the t-body blade. Just use the next biggest drill bit and open it up some. I'd take the t-body off to do that, to keep metal shavings out of the engine.

BTW, i'm originally from Friendswood. My parents still live there.
Old 09-04-2004 | 06:50 PM
Launching!

ok, thanks for the input 9-ball. I got to work earlier and tore down the intake, and found a leak in the egr hose. Took it off and put a plate/oring over it and it fires and runs awesome. So now I am in search for an egr tube to replace the old torn up one.

Remington