Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elbow into intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elbow into intake?

This might be a silly question but thought I might ask it. I have been contemplating what I will do for an elbow into my throttle body since things are sooo tight up front. I think I'm probably gonna have to fabricate my own elbow to fit but I don't want to restrict things too much. I was thinking about maybe fabricating an elbow that would attach to the intake manifold and then have the throttle body attached to the other end so the throttle body is actually pointing towards the drivers side wheel well. It would either be fabbed out of metal or fiberglass (or carbon fiber to look kewl) with a flange at each end (one for intake manifold, the other for throttle body). I would have to get a different throttle cable to reach (probably) the added distance.

My question on such an elbow, relocating the throttle body just a few inches from its original location... will this cause any problems with intake velocity? I wouldn't figure so since the air has to turn anyway but not sure... it would make for an easier fit since I have VERY limited space (front to back) under my hood. Sooo... whatayathink?! Input please! Thanks!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery...
Attached Thumbnails Elbow into intake?-throttlebody.jpg  
Old 11-26-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a GTO intake from one of the sponsors. Either that, or buy a stock one from a member if you dont care about a hp or ten.

Itll clear no problem.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply... I did a quick search here on LS1Tech.com but didn't find anything to look at... the only thing I found was talk about elbows from a GTO and 1LE... a question if the GTO intake was the same as the LS6... and a couple other things that didn't help me out much. I went to Pontiacs webpage and did a quick search on Yahoo for pictures of a GTO intake... but not help... Is the actual intake manifold different? Or are we talking about a difference in the plumbing from the airbox to throttle body? Is the throttle body in the same location? I would like to see pictures that show a birds-eye view of said motor/intake so I can see how it might help. If anyone can point me in the direction of said picture, I'd appreciate it. If the intake is different and that looks like the best option, I will buy from a sponsor... anyone wanna help a little more? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

search in the GTO section here, someone will point you in the right direction...

Sorry I cannot be of more help...
Old 11-26-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Here's the one I'm using. They also make a 4 to 4 if you want to go maf-less.

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=9D

Here's all the rubber.

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...egory_Code=RHC
Old 11-26-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

and if all else fails.....box the radiator into the support that will get you the clearance, but dont go repositinoing the TB
Old 11-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

The rubber that is in the link above looks like it might work but not sure. I really need something that the radius of the bend starts IMMEDIATELY at the throttle body... if that makes any sense... I mean, from the throttle body lip, in the direction it is bending, it needs to be a pretty sharp 90º bend... so that the 4" radius of the pipe bend would make the rubber only protrude 4" (or very slightly more) from the throttle body. Maybe one of these rubber pieces could be trimmed just enough to make the turn... not sure. After much searching last night, I found the K&N part #63-1099 on eBay (see attached picture) which looks like it MIGHT fit. It has a slightly flattened spot where I expect it fits pretty tightly up against the radiator fan shroud. Now, all I need to do is find some specs on it and see what the measurement would be from the front of the TB to the furthest point forward. I only have about 5" to play with. I will end up making a custom shroud for my fan(s) so it if this will fit, its a possibility. Like I said, things are seriously tight under the hood... I know there are LS1 conversion into smaller cars but it seems that every other car has a longer engine bay than the Vehicross. Anywho... thanks for the replies guys!

Coach!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaleMX
This might be a stupid question... going maf-less... how do you do that? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing this? I thought the MAF was an important part of the computer system... am I wrong? How does the computer figure thing? MAP sensor? Just curious. Hopefully I can get an elbow to work... we shall see.

TTYL!

Randy
Old 11-27-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

2004 GTO elbow

As far as going "MAF-less", do some poking around the PCM tuning section for "SD tuning". The MAF is a redundant component that measures incoming air. The MAP sensor does the same thing (but in a different way). With a well tuned car, the MAF isn't needed (some people have found that it's actually a hinderance). But it requires a very good speed density (SD) tune. Next spring I was planning to unhook my MAF and see if I can get an SD tune to work on my car. Those who are using this tune report better throttle response and better drivability.

Hope that helps.
-Matt
Old 11-27-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it is just rubber and easy to cut if you need to shorten it up. Here's a pic from a while back.

http://www.circuitflex.com/Rubber1.jpg
Old 11-27-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Have you checked out Street & Performance...

They sell a MAF/air filter combo unit that calls for very little space. No air intake snorkel required. Gar
Old 12-06-2004, 12:35 AM
svt
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DaleMX

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=9D

Here's all the rubber.

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...egory_Code=RHC
Thanks for the link. Just got mine in the mail, looks very good. $25 shipped. Seems high for a peice of rubber but cheaper and cleaner than anything else I found.

-Marc
Attached Thumbnails Elbow into intake?-dsc02840a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Elbow into intake?