Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Camaro LS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Camaro LS6

Thanks for lookin! I just sold my lt4 1995 Z28 and bought a 1968 camaro. I want a reliable injected stroker motor swap with around 450-500 horse and a possible 100-150 nos shot. I am looking at the Stroker setup that Scogg and Dickeys is showing for 3995. I am not terribly familiar with the exacts of some things. I am looking at the afr heads, comp cam with roller rockers and lifters, and the intake and t-body kit from SDPC. This should get me to where i want to be (I think). My biggest question is where would i get a harness and ecm for this setup? It sounds like from this forum that the tuning on the ecm is fairly complicated, what type of Hard/Softwear is required to pull this off? And does anyone have any internal engine setup suggestions?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds very similar to what I'll be doing starting in about a year. First, 450 HP is fairly easy with an LS1/LS6...especially if you're talking flywheel horsepower.

I have a few suggestions for you before you start spending money. Read on here a lot. Lot of people have tried lots of things. You can get to 450 RWHP with just heads and cam and boltons.

As for getting a harness, I would suggest getting the whole engine/transmission and wiring harness from a donor car. If you don't want to go that route some of the sponosors ------> can help you out.

As for getting the car running and other things you will want/need I would suggest looking here and also at Protouring.com. A lot of people over there have done the LS1 in a 1st gen camaro successfully.

As for my plans: 68 camaro with a stroked/forged bottom end (382) with a supercharger, and a milder cam. Shooting for 600 RWHP. Should be pretty easy. I'm sure I could get more than 600 RWHP with a larger cam, but want to maintain somewhat good driveability characteristics. Also, mine is going to be a road race / handling machine rather than a drag racer, so I'll need the mid range power as well as the top end power.

Hopefully some of this advice will help you out.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

yes you really should atleast search and if you dont understand anything then you should ask! but i am doing a 68 firebird ls1 swap and i tell you what, you better have some extra money for unexpected expenses! and all those parts that you are talkin about have a huge price tag on them! if you dont mind me asking how old are you and where do you work lol! because i want to start there soon! lol
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Veteran

All the prices add up pretty quickly. I've got over 7K in mine so far and it's not even running yet. You can go pretty radical with the LS1 and still be able to drive it, which is why I'm not building a carburated motor. It would have been tons cheaper, but not worth it in the long run.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its fun but the hidden costs really add up fast.. read a lot and learn from the mistakes of others

Best of luck.. its all worth it in the end.. or so im told
Old 12-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Im 20 years old and i am a manager of a private auto shop while i go finish school, When something is your passion its amazing how easily the money can be saved for what you want, i was looking at the ls6 crate motor from gm performance for 5800 bucks and that doesnt seem a terrible way to go but i will want more power, so i figured the short block with the upper end of my choice would be the way to go, i added up what i wanted for my long block and am just under 8k, whicih is where i would like to be, anyone know what a harness and ecm with programming software runs or where specifically to get it
Old 12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

A custom harness from Speartech will run you ~$700. For tuning, look at HP Tuners. Both are LS1Tech sponsors and I consider them both to be the best at waht they do.

My harness was a stock engine harness that Speartech modified for me. For a PCM, check the "For Sale" forum or call Valvegod. (Do a search or PM me for his contact info.) Tuning with HPTuners is not all that hard if you take the time to research and learn how to effectively use it.

To echo what everyone else said, take your budget and add 50-75%. I know I went over mine by at least that much.

-Matt
Old 12-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Thank you that was exactly what i needed
Old 12-15-2004, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that you were interested in a stroked motor. A small suggestion. I wouldn't mess with the GMPP LS6 crate motor. I would look for a used 6.0 vortec motor. You can pick those up cheap than the aluminum LS1/LS6 block. Yeah it will be alittle heavier but depending on how much you want to spend that would be the way to go. Resleeved LS1/LS6 blocks are expensive and I have heard enough horror stories about those that I won't touch unless I were to get it for next to nothing. Yeah, they make good power but knowing my luck I would get a motor that the sleeves would drop in. Anyways, best of luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Teching In

What is wrong with the gm performance motor? i may be not understanding what you are commenting on...
Old 12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

i don't think he is saying anything is wrong with it, But for what you are planning it would save you alot of money to go with a 6.0 and the blocks are stronger with out haveing to sleeve it.

Quick Reply: 1968 Camaro LS6