Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Second to Last post for this thread...

Guy,

I am all done as I drove the car to the exhaust shop where the car has been for this week as I wait on them to get the Magnaflow parts and make the dual exhaust. I am working on moding an Autometer speedometer and putting it behind my stock face with a custom face to match the factory look. I am almost done and I will post the pictures of the speedo next.

Attached are pictures of the final engine installation. The three items left to do are exhaust, A/C lines, and speedo install. Well not to mention the PCM reprogram to get the tach to read correctly and set up the speedo output properly as the Autometer electronic speedo is self calibrating with a measured 2 miles.

Next for the Elco is a paint job, interior, and suspension upgrade and not any time soon or in that order. The front of the car is raised up 1" from the orginal height so a suspension mod should be next.

Thanks guys for all your input and help with this LS1 install. I can't wait to drive it and test out the response.

James
Attached Thumbnails LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-dscn0794.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-dscn0795.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-dscn0796.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-dscn0798.jpg  
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Default Speedometer mod pics

I made a custom face and drilled and filed the face for the new openning required for the Autometer speedometer. The mod was easier than I thought.

I measured and used a CAD package to make the face to scale then imported it into a graphic package. I saved it in multiple formats where PhotoShop .eps was the best. I took it to Kinkos to have them print it on card stock. I then cut it out and used spray adhesive to adhere it to the old face. I use the outer part of the card stock cutout to cover the parts I didn't want adhesive and used it for alignment marks to line up the face as I glued it down.

I took the Autometer needle and cut it down and filed its top flat and superglued it to the bottom of my factory needle so I would have the proper Autometer needle connection. Works pretty good. Now I just need to get it mounted in the dash and connect it up. Oh, I will cut down the back cover to use it as a dust cover over the electronics.

That is all there is to it.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-dscn0799.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-dscn0800.jpg  
Old 01-21-2006, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading through this and have a question on fuel sending units for intank pumps. Vehicle is a 82 Elcamino that is currently equipped with TPI and an external pump. First what is the difference between the 22 gallon sender for the 87 model (part number 25092938) and the 22 gallon sender for the 85-86 model (part number 25004938) there is a big price difference between the 2 of them. Also can the intank sender be used in the 82 fuel tank or is a new tank required. I need to get this figured out asap due to the vapor lock problem that started after I had a new cat conv installed.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:05 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never held both a the same time but I looked at pics and the only difference I could see was that the one had a round float and one was rectangular, I think they are interchangeable. Yep I be theres a huge price diff, I just realized you have the wrong PN, for the 86 and older sender you have a monte PN, it is much easier to find and cheaper. The correct El Camino PN until 86 is 25004940, but according to GMpartsdirect it is no longer available. They have the 87 sender for 193.00 check the PN and prices at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

The newer sender will work in the old tank, the only difference between tanks is the newer ones have baffles. If you didn`t get fuel slosh and loss of fuel pressure on corners with an external pump than you shouldn`t with the new sending unit.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Launching!

I ordered the FI sender part number 25092938 from gmpartsdirect and it had a square float. I ordered GM-515B from Quanta Products 22 gal FI tank with all the baffles. The FI sender contains the intank electric fuel pump which is why I went with that setup. If your car contains an external pump and you don't mind an external pump then you don't have to do anything to your fuel tank you just have get an external pump that will supply 58psi to the fuel rail.

I went with the intank pump to keep it cool in the fuel.

I talked with a guy who restores El Caminos about the difference between the 17 gal and 22 gal fuel tanks and he stated that they are identical where the length of filler pipe sticking into the tank dictates the gallons it holds.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:42 PM

Thumbs up 99 Vortec inot 79 Elky

OK looks like this thread is aligned with our father/son project. We have already rebuilt a 5.7 Vortec from a 3/4 T truck. Haven't had much time to research details but now that the motor is ready and some open time coming up, we want to get on with it. We have the 4L80 too. Most immediate concerns are with the oil pan and fuel delivery. Oh yeh, we are going back with the spider FI sys.
any advice is welcome.
Thanx ....
Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Read through my thread and I answer a lot of question on fuel, installation, and other items. G-Body installed a truck engine in his 1985 Elco and even reworked a factory harness himself. He might know of any issues with installation of the truck version.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Is it a GEN III vortec (LSx)? The 99 trucks did have them, but it would be a 5.3L or 6.0L, not a 5.7.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:59 AM

G-Body - Thanx for the fast response and I (along with a reading assignement for my son) will go thru your thread. The engine is a 5.7 and was probably a left over 99 put into a fleet type work truck. The donor was a 3/4 ton. The engine code is 'R'.
Again thanx
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM

Hmm, that makes it easier and more difficult at the same time. More stuff will bolt right up, but I don`t have a lot of experience with the GEN I vortecs.

The motor mounts should bolt right in. And for fuel you can use the EFI elcamino tank and sending unit with a high pressure pump or you could cut the top of your tank and install a late model fuel bucket/sender/pump assembly.
As for the oil pan I`m not sure if it will fit, but if it does not you might want to see if a LT1 caprice pan, or a later model (IE: 88 monte carlo 305 1 piece rear main seal) oil pan will bolt on. I think those would, but I don`t know of anyone who has tried it yet. Unfortunately I don`t know of any web pages/forums that have much info on swapping that style vortec, But there is some info that crosses over with an LS1 swap. There are a few web pages that talk about swapping that engine into off-road vehicles, mostly jeeps, those pages may also have some useful info.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 PM

G-Body,
Thanx. All good info. Just like me to find myself in a 'one off' or semi outa step situation. It will all be good though. The engine came from a friend who wanted to help with the project and a little swapping and trading later the engine sits on a stand totally rebuilt. painted and panting for a 'ride'. Happened fast so now I'm trying to catch up. I can tell that this web site and guys like yourself will be key to a nice hot rod soon. I've got some good reading to do so thanx and I'll do my best to keep updates coming on the project.
Red
Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Auto
We are currently swapping a 1980 El Camino over to a 2000 LS1 A4. Check out the link 1980 El Camino

Will are using all the factory accessories. No need to build anything other than a alt relocation bracket. The oil pan is not cut. We took a small slice out of the factory boss on the back of the crossmember, and boxed it back in with 3/16' The goal is to make the swap look as the factory done it. The factory radiator, fans, and ac condensor core will be used from the ls1 car also. The only thing that will be aftermaket looking is our fuel line kit, and most of it hides in the frame rail.

The ac compressor clears no problem, along with the oil pan, and the factory manifolds, y-pipe are installed and clear just like they were made to be there.

The fuel tank we are using is a 1987 4.3 tbi, and also the pickup from the same year. We are upgrading the pump to a Walbro 255, and using 3/8" hard stainless line going to our fuel line kit. The makes the fuel system a breaze. No need for cuting the factory fuel rail and adding a fuel regulator.

The wiring harness is done by Dana at high performance wiring. Cost around $325 to do the full harness.

If you have any questions let me know. Thanks Scott
Scott, if your still on this thread I could really use some help. I am currently swapping a 5.3l into my 83 el camino. I am trying to gather all my parts before I do anything else. I am currently working on my fueling issues. I noticed you said you used a fuel tank from a 1987 4.3 tbi. What vehicle did you get it out of?

also, did you have to swap out coil springs for suspension to support the added weight?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 PM

The 1987 el camino was available as a 4.3l fuel injected car.

If your el camino was a v8 car the LS should be lighter as it has aluminum heads. If it was a v6 car you may have to swap to v8 springs, but its possible the v6 springs could be strong enough
Old 06-19-2016, 01:16 PM

Default 4.8L in 69 El Camino with doug nash 5 speed

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Here are pics of an LS1 in a 1980 Malibu:
can these 4.8L engines be stripped of F.I. manifold and retrofitted with a carb and intake?

Is there a different ignition system like standard distributor and MSD box and wires available or is the indivdual coil set up the best?

Yes i am old school.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM

Yep MSD makes an ignition box that will run the coils and edelbrock makes carb manifolds.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Teching In

G-body
Thanks for a great build and a great thread, I´ll let you know that you are the reson I converted my El Camino ( also a 86 ) after reading this thread years ago I followed your lead and saved some valuable time and money.

How ever every car has it´s issues and my has had a really nagging issue. The FLY BY WIRE gas pedal wont work....inside the car!

Again following your lead I sent everything of to SpearTech ( Unbelievable service, strongly recommended ) they hooked my harness,tac, ecu and FLY BY WIRE gas pedal to there engine and it was all good.

I think, YEA were finished, well not so much.

Put every thing back in the car, hit the start button and she starts and idles ...give it some gas and nothing just idle.
Geting frustrated we rip every thing out of the car ....hook everything up, hit start and BINGO the gas pedal works.

I think, YEA were finished, well....not so much

Put every thing back it the car, hit start, idle but NO fly by wire!

Do you or any one else have even the faintest clue to what the culprit might be if so I would be most thank ful for any info

regards

Andreas
Old 07-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Put every thing back in the car, hit the start button and she starts and idles ...give it some gas and nothing just idle.
Geting frustrated we rip every thing out of the car ....hook everything up, hit start and BINGO the gas pedal works.

I think, YEA were finished, well....not so much

Put every thing back it the car, hit start, idle but NO fly by wire!

Do you or any one else have even the faintest clue to what the culprit might be if so I would be most thank ful for any info
Have you ran this past Speartech?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:26 AM
Teching In

John B.
No I have not talked to them jet ....wanted to trie here first ...SpearTech have helped me so much already.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Teching In

John B

Talked to my father, he told me that when SpearTech hooked up the fly by wire pedal it stressed the sensor.
We are geting codes that say there is no contact with the sensor, the sensor is new.
I´ll get the codes soon and post them.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:29 PM
Teching In

After 10 years the black hole came alive and runs as she should.
One of the wires in to the throttle body was broken

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO JOHN B, G-BODY AND EVEY ONE ELSE THAT HAS HELPED ME THROUGH THE YEARS

Quick Reply: LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino