Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the stock Tb. FYI if you are going to use john B motor mounts you need to get F body motor mounts(engine side) I suggest you get them new. I'm swapping a 6.0 into my 86 monte carlo and was wondering is any one using the 4l80e? and if so what are you doing for trans crossmembers?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default IT RUNS!!!! and fits

I started it for the first time tonight, fired up on the first twist of the key. Didn`t get to drive it though (the bed was full of junk like the old motor and trans b/c I had no where else to put it.)unless you count a few feet in and out of the garage. After I fixed the hole in the radiator oops and started it I put the hoood on. The hood would not clear the EVAP purge solenoid or the truck air intake tube. I checked for fit without the underhood blanket and the alternator clears, I had no modeling clay, play dough, or even cream cheese so I don`t know how close it is but I put a piece of 3/8" rope on top closed the hood and the rope was still free. the check engine light came on though, now if I could only remember where I put the ALDL plug so I could put it in and go to autozone. Can`t wait to see their face when I tell them I want them to pull the codes on my 85 El Camino.

JD: I wasn`t saying that the truck motor was the best choice, I would rather have an all aluminum motor but I am too cheap. I don`t know the exact size of the o2 sensor hole since my drill bit selection only goes to 1/2" and the hole was bigger so I used a vari-bit. I think that a 18mm hole would be the right size though since the threads are 18mm. Speedometer who needs a speedometer? I have not installed that yet, I bought an autometer old tyme speedometer off e-bay for less than $50 including shipping. It is a 3 3/8" speedo which is the same as the factory. For now I will just zip tie/duct tape it somewhere as this is my only car and I need it running. Eventually I will find someone to print out a new face (that looks stock same as John B. did) for the speedo since it goes to 120mph and then I will mount it in the dash.

Stick SS: My truck motor came witha cable throttle body, I am pretty sure that if the truck had no traction control it got a cable TB. But I know that JD is using fly by wire so you could go either way. Almost forgot, I am using the stock feed/return fuel rails, I am using v6 camaro flexible plastic fuel lines to connect to them. I used compression fittings to put GM quick connect ends on my steel fuel lines and sending unit.

6.0: I made a completely new crossmember for my 4l60e, wasn`t that hard. Plus it has cutouts for true dual exhaust tucked close to the floor.

Last edited by G-Body; 08-26-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Congrats G-body that was fast!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM

Actually it was way slower than I thought. I figured I could do it in two days so I figured I would actually be able to finnish it in a week, so far it has been 2 weeks. I guess that is pretty fast thought for swapping in an engine that was neved intended to be in my car. I was hopeing to make it to the dragstrip this sunday (US41 Morocco Indiana) we`ll see if that works out.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great to hear you got it running. I believe it can be done in 2 weeks approximately. My only issue is finding time to work on mine. One and a half days a week just doesn't cut it but that is life. I think I could have done it in a week if I worked full time and had all the parts.

GBody, nothing intended about which motor to select. Just stating how I came about my motor. I sold some rare mint GM rear quarter panels for a 1967 Impala that I had which gave me the money for the motor. Now I am low on funds and all the little stuff I need to do it right is dollaring me to death.

If everything goes right I might have mine started this weekend. I am getting the drive shaft sorted out Saturday morning. Just need to verify my wiring connections and put the front end back on the car. Then vacuum lines and that sort of thing.

Full exhaust system will be the last thing I need not counting new hoses to get fabricated for the AC compressor.

I will keep you guys posted when I finally get it running.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Launching!

HI: Good job GBody glad you got your car running. You were able to get it going pretty fast. As Duca stated the 4.8 and 5.3 motors make 280-290 HP thats almost double the power of the Old 5.0 liter motor and it will run on regular. For a daily driver car thats not a show car or drag strip car its good enough. You proved that you can build one of these cars on a very low budget. Once again good job. See if you can borrow a camera and post up some pictures. JD lets us know when you get your car going and post some more pictures up. Just a tip for you guys when you first start it up push it out into the driveway and have a bucket of water and fire extinquisher on hand just in case. See Ya, Bye
Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 PM

I took it for a ride tonight Found a couple minor problems but it still runs better than the 305. The exhaust is too close to the evap line on my frame so it rubs, But the hood does clear the alternator, and I was able to make the truck intake tube between the throttlebody and MAF fit, nothing the sawzall and fiberglass wouldn`t fix. I have borrowed a camera but it was too dark to take pictures by the time I got it, so I`ll post some tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:54 AM

The good news is the car felt slow last night because I was taking off in 3rd or 4th gear. The bad news is my codes were all transmission related and the trans will not shift. I am going to talk to a few late model f-body guys tomorrow and find out if these codes mean the trans is junk. Good news is that I was able to have my factory temp sensor cut cown and rethreaded to 12mmx1.50 so my temp gauge now works. I tried to upload some pics of the exhaust but the computer just seemed to sit there and do nothing, anyone else ever try to upload pics on a 56k modem or are you all using something faster?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Gbody, did you get your transmission issue worked out?

Try posting some pictures again. On a 56k modem if the pictures are large then it will take a long time. One solution is to resize the pictures to a smaller file size using a photo program. For the web the pictures do not have to be large to be clear. Try to resize so the file size is in the 200K or so where smaller is better.

I am working on installing a electronic speedo and I will give you some info as I make progress.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:15 AM

I still have not figured out the trans. Found out the wiring is definently the same for the truck and camaro trans. So far everyone has said either I have a bad connection somewhere or the shift solenoids are sticking. So I am going to recheck all the wiring while it is under load tomorrow. I now have a speedo though, Zip tied my autometer speedo to the steering column until I find someone to make a new face for my stock speedo. Tried to upload some pics but it said 200kb was too large, had to be less than 100 so I will resize them tomorrow and try again.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Fixed the Trans

Well I found the $4.99 solution to my trans problems. I used relays to power up all of the computer, engine, and trans requirements because I knew my ignition wouldn`t handle it. The relay that provided power to the trans must have been a lemon, it would check out good as long as there wasn`t a high current load on it, but if you plugged the trans in and checked it as the trans was trying to use the power the voltage would drop to almost zero. I think I finally figured out how to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-drivers-cat-o2.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-exhaustcrossmember.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-motor.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-pass-cat.jpg   LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino-fusecomputer.jpg  

Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Default So how does it run now?

Gbody, how does the car run now that you got the transmission working? How is your gas milage? Any plans to tune the PCM?

I will get back on mine probably in two weeks, I have other more important stuff happening right now. I can't wait to get back on it because I am so close to getting it running.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

what did you do about the power steering lines since the camaro uses a rack , and a g body doesnt and the pumps are differant? i have my ls1 in a third gen formula and ran into this problem. i am about to go and have some lines fabed, but i am on a tight budget.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by exodus
what did you do about the power steering lines since the camaro uses a rack , and a g body doesnt and the pumps are differant? i have my ls1 in a third gen formula and ran into this problem. i am about to go and have some lines fabed, but i am on a tight budget.
The main high pressure line was still on the pump with a added hose that connected the return to it so it would just circlulate within the pump when the engine was running. So all I had to do was screw in the high pressure line directly into my power steering box and fabricated a line from my old return line since it isn't high pressure. I haven't started the car yet to see it work.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:18 PM

Runs Great, lights um up off the line hits second and rips the tires loose again, pulls hard to way over the speed limit. It`s great, if I am at 20-25mph I can nail it and it will downshift to first, rip the tires loose, hit second and chirp um again. So far I don`t know about fuel mileage, I refilled it with about 15 gallons from before the conversion and then topped the tank off, I have about 250 miles on it so far with about a half tank left. I think it is getting about the same as the old motor, but I was expecting horrible fuel economy for the first couple tanks, I keep taking people for rides and even when I am alone I can`t keep my foot out of it. I had it to full throttle, chirping second at least 4 times on my way to school thursday, I think it may take a few weeks, mabey months for me to be able to drive it like a normal person and get some decent fuel numbers out of it. My computer has already been tuned, got rid of all the useless codes, fuel/timing tweaks, eliminated the torque management, cut the clutch engagement time, set up for electric fans, and set up the tow/haul mode with torque management.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Gbody, I am jealous and your sucess just makes me want to work 24/7 to get mine done. But unfortunately due to moving into a new house and going to visit my Father in the hospital it will have to wait.

I will keep everyone posted to my progress as soon as I get back on the swap.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

please if you can would you be able to pm me with the results of the ps line issue thanks.

Chris
Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 PM

14 MPG. just filled it up today and I averaged 14, I think that`s ok since it was all city driving and I constantly had my foot in it. That`s about what I was getting with my 305, but I was not driving it as hard. It`s so difficult to take it easy with the new motor, it just beggs for more throttle
Old 09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Launching!

FINALLY got to work on the car Saturday after 3 weeks of other things I had to do.

G-Body, I drilled and welded on the O2 sensor bung with no issues. I had to take a hammer to the passenger side cat to move it from rubbing the frame. Some stuff came out of it so I think I might have damaged it. I plan on using the cat flanges and go from there out with new cats and exhaust anyway, I put these on just so I can get it running.

I am almost finished with the details. I have wasted two lower radiator hoses trying to find the right one to fit. I found one that was close but just a little bit large in diameter and I messed up and trimmed it too short.

Lower Radiator hose - What lower radiator hoses are you guys using? Part number? I am using a Modine #951 radiator.

Air filter - G-body did you try and run a pipe to infront of the radiator area? I am looking at mine and I don't think there is room. I am actually thinking that later I might get a cowl induction hood and seal it off and make it funtional.

Fuel pressure- can I purchase a test fuel pressure gauge and hook it up onto the fuel rail schrader valve connection? I just want to test fuel pressure.

Last edited by jdperk-86elco; 09-18-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used dayco 70115(gates 20230) for a lower hose. it was up against the frame at the idler arm so i used a small piece of old radiator hose to prevent rubbing a hole in it. i was using a northern aluminum radiator with the same size inlet as stock. my air intake was 2 aluminum 90*'s(90 on the t-body and a 90 behind the headlights) and a straight section of 4" aluminum pipe i bought from ebay that i ran behind the right side headlights with a cone filter. i was using a truck intake but i don't see where an f-body would be much different. i bought an autometer fuel pressure gauge and -4 braided brake line to check my pressure at the rail.

Quick Reply: LS1 swap into a 1986 Elcamino