Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to swap 4wd to 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard to swap 4wd to 2wd?

I have a 95 GMC 1500 Z71. It has gotten alot of work so far but now it is only a good weather truck so I want to swap it to a 2wd to loose weight, problems and make the LS1 T56 swap much easier when the time comes. I found out that 2500's in 95 that are 2wd also have a 6 luck axle so that will make it easier on my 20" wheels and wont need an adapter that would push the tires out farther. Does anyone know how difficult this would be and how involved. I dont exactly know all the components that are different on the front end between 4wd and 2wd and it would be nice to know what other years might fit with the 6 lugs.

-thanks,
Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need different spindles, springs and controls arms on the front. You'll be able to ditch the torsion bars that way.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badjuju342
You'll need different spindles, springs and controls arms on the front. You'll be able to ditch the torsion bars that way.

Can I use the spindles, springs and control arms from the doner vehicle I got the axle from? Dont the tortion bars effect the rear also?

-thanks,
Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Yeah you can use the parts from the donor truck for the front end and no, the torsion bars only connect with the front , not the rear suspension.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Yeah you can use the parts from the donor truck for the front end and no, the torsion bars only connect with the front , not the rear suspension.

So when guys crank their T-bars up or down to lift or lower their trucks a little bit and stiffen or soften the ride it is only lifting or lowering the front end?

-thanks,
Mike
Old 01-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Yup, , if you crawl under the truck and look at it, the rear suspension is not tied in with the torsion bars at all.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewmont3
So when guys crank their T-bars up or down to lift or lower their trucks a little bit and stiffen or soften the ride it is only lifting or lowering the front end?

-thanks,
Mike
My 2000 Z71 with the Ford torsion bar keys cranked up.

Mike - I see you're from Ashburnham. I grew up in Ashby, about 1/4 mile from the Ashburnham line. Small world....
Old 01-03-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

the 2wd and 4wd frames are different......the 88-98 2wd trucks used coil springs, only the 4x4 used torsion bars, meaning no place for you to mount the coil springs in the front, shock mounts are wrong,the control arms are different and wont bolt in, steering i'm not sure.

imho,why wouldnt you keep the front diff and everything, and use the 4wd when you launch the truck? a bunch of the truck section members are 4x4.if you want to use a t56 just divorce the transfer case from the tranny with a short shaft, mount it in a (strong)crossmember and youre good.get a good clutch
Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I am from Ashburnham...very small world.

Hondo my 4wd gets locked in and out by the floor shift. I am not so sure its a good idea to launch hard in 4wd and even so you wouldnt want it in 4wd after the launch, it would be too far away for me to push the shifter back into 2wd without driving off the road or track and from what I have heard you cant have a T56 and 4 wheel drive together...or atleast no one has attempted to fab it together yet. Yes I have heard my weakest link is going to be the clutch so I will be sure not to skimp.

-thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: How hard to swap 4wd to 2wd?