Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Third Gen Project has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005 | 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by teamspank
the car not changing gears,he drove the car he said it felt like his blower car.the car takes off in drive and stayes in drive.he going to fix it for me.I got the motor trans from bruce.i wired the car but it does not change,and dont know why.so took it to him
Me hope he fix car for you. Motor trans good. Wiring bad.
Old 02-22-2005 | 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Hey, I know you. Good to see you here too.
Old 02-22-2005 | 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
No, that would be just for parts. Let's compare my ORIGINAL swap I had planned, just to compare apples to apples.

Keep in mind it is 1:30 am, and this is off the top of my head with only one set of my notes within arms reach, so many of these are just ballpark figures. Anyway, here is how my swap expenses shape up:

$4400 2001 LS1/4L60E, 18k miles, COMPLETE motor including harness, PCM, etc - ready to "drop in" a car (planned on reselling the auto trans)
$1100 T56 trans with 21k miles
$600 McLeod Street Twin Clutch with less than 2k miles and only a few passes on it
$1600 Brand new Moser 9" with 35 spline axles and 4.10 gears (yes I got some excellent deals through patience)
$1000 or so for other chassis/suspension/brake upgrades
$ 800 17x11 rear and 17x9.5 wheels with new tires up front, 20% left on rear Nittos
$475 Ported Stage 1.5 heads
$730 Cam kit with TR224/224 112lsa, springs, retainers, pushrods
$125 Jantzer Ported Throttlebody
$375 Coated PaceSetter Longtube headers
$330 Custom Chromoly 3" driveshaft from APE
$950 3rd Gen Specific LS1 Swap parts (tubular k-member/a-arms, trans crossmember, speedo converter, vats box, etc)
$750 SpearTech Custom Wiring Harness
$400 Misc gaskets, bolts, etc
$300 4th Gen seats (mint condition, front and rear)
$100 4th Gen M6 center console

So, $12k BEFORE LABOR for just about everything you'd need is a pretty good figure. I got a lot of stuff I didn't really NEED (like the seats, for example), and I also went with top of the line on all the suspension stuff that most guys doing a stock-cubed head/cam LS1 wouldn't have to go so far on.

NOW, however, I've just spent about $6k for the forged LS2 stroker. I'll still use the same wiring harness and PCM, and the majority of the mods. I'm either going to sell the LS1 or keep it for a future project, so I'm just deducting the cost of the LS1 package and plugging in the cost of the LS2, as far as my "expense sheet" is concerned.

So, add in the $1300 I paid for the car, the $3k estimate for body restoration and paint, and then labor, and you've got roughly $25k total invested into one mean bad-*** 3rd gen with lots of mods. More expensive than a "stock" 4th gen car, but still far cheaper than what I've seen many similarly modded 4th gens sell for.

I wouldnt mind buying your LS1 and the T56 if you want to sell them, would have to wait a little while though. It sounds like you want to keep the T56 though. Anyways let me know.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2005 | 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The T56 is going into my car with the LS2.

The LS1 and auto trans I would consider selling, however. I'd really like to keep them for a future project, but this one is getting so expensive that I may HAVE to sell them just to pay the bills........

Hey Mike - good to see you here. also!
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
The T56 is going into my car with the LS2.

The LS1 and auto trans I would consider selling, however. I'd really like to keep them for a future project, but this one is getting so expensive that I may HAVE to sell them just to pay the bills........

Hey Mike - good to see you here. also!
Thank you. I plan on putting an LS1 and T56 into my truck some time soon. I was hoping to be working on it by at least this time next year but my work/money situation isnt working out that way thus far. It happens I guess. My truck is an auto right now so its going to take some work and lots of money. I have a few interior things to finish up before I can start saving for it. Maybe ill start playing the lottery...

-Mike

Quick Reply: LS2 Third Gen Project has begun!