Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 in a Jeep

I picked up the latest issue of JP magazine (I'm thinking about buying an old CJ) and they had an article on engine swaps and one of the candidates they listed was the LS1. Here is a quote:

"Probably the best option for cutting-edge engines is the new Generation III engine offered by GM. Beginning with the 5.7L LS1, which debuted in 1997 in the Corvette and in 1998 in the Camaro and Firebird, the Gen III engine shares the same bellhousing bolt patterns with the old school GM engines, but not much else. The LS1 is an all-aluminum firebreather that churns out about 345 hp in stock form and weighs slightly less than 400 lbs ready to run."

The same article also mentioned doing a Chrysler 4.7 DOHC V8 or a Ford 5.0 EFI swap and another article showed a step by step on a Caddy Northstar V8 swap into a Jeep.

As cool as it sounds though, Id rather do an old school carbed 350 swap. Keep it simple if you're gonna be running through water and mud.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: LS1 in a Jeep

http://www.sunrayengineering.com/main.html

These guys shoehorn all kinds of fuel injected power plants into off road vehicles.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I worked for Motive Gear in the sales dpt, I sold gear sets to a guy who made kits to put TPI's into Jeep Cherokees. They TPI is PERFECT for the off road guys because of all the low end torque they make is perfect for mudding and rock climbing.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would NOT do carb in my 4-wheeler. Thats just my opinion of course. 4-wheeler did a comparison of carb vs. fuel injection pros and cons for both.good article. An ls1 would be sweet in a 4 wheeler.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TanRchy:
<strong>i would NOT do carb in my 4-wheeler. Thats just my opinion of course. 4-wheeler did a comparison of carb vs. fuel injection pros and cons for both.good article. An ls1 would be sweet in a 4 wheeler.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only real con for a carb in a hardcore 4 wheeler is the tendency to stall on real steep inclines. The problem with fuel injection is that electronics tend to short out in the water and mud, plus there isn't much on a carb that can't be fixed with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers; if FI goes out on the trail, you're screwed.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

there's a guy out just north of houston who has a bright yellow jeep with an ls1 in it and he did all the work with it. i've had the pleasure of riding in it personally it goes great off road and still has some kick driving around town.

mike

Quick Reply: LS1 in a Jeep