Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be doing LS1 in thirdgen conversion, any tips or warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea my aunt lives right by west chester and we ussually visit her in the summer, the weather is similar to Chicago, I figure I could get by with just rolling down the windows, but I think it would be nice to say you still got AC.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it gets real expensive, real fast. I wanted to do this ONCE, and not have to worry about upgrading anything again for along time. I don't even want to THINK about how much money I have put into this car at this point!!

Speartech is pretty fast, I had my harness back in about 3 weeks I believe. Bruce Hawkins sells a lot of swap parts also at hawksthirdgenparts.com (Bruce is doing the actual labor for my swap). Just make sure you do your research, MAKE a plan, and STICK to the plan, and you'll be all set. But be warned - if you change your plan half way through the project, you'll wind up spending extra money for different parts that you wouldn't have needed to if you had decided on that route to begin with.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey 89ForumulaLS2 Whacha doin to keep that big cube ls2 cool?? RIght now I just have my stock radiator and single fan, but if I go down the 402 ls2 route someday I think I would need a bit of an upgrade.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well after all my info on what to look out for it looks like I over look a part. Start looking for your harness or harnesses for the engine now because those suckers add up. I needed both harnesses one for the car stock (90 Iroc TPI) and an LS1 6 speed for my car because the stock setup was a 5 speed 305TPI and the car was rare as hell so I didn't want to cut up its factory harness. Besides that it was mint.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Yea my aunt lives right by west chester and we ussually visit her in the summer, the weather is similar to Chicago, I figure I could get by with just rolling down the windows, but I think it would be nice to say you still got AC.
Yea definately. Let me know next time you head up this way, there's a shitload of F-bodies around here all year round. We're actually setting up a pretty big meet in York, Pa in the beginning of april. We're trying to get atleast 100 f-bodies (mustangs are welcome too) for the meet and greet. I'll keep you guys posted if anyone is interested
Old 03-06-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm that would seem pretty cool, Ill probably be up there mid summer or so...probably not with the camaro, but I wouldnt mind hangin out with some fbody guys...
Old 03-06-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Hey 89ForumulaLS2 Whacha doin to keep that big cube ls2 cool?? RIght now I just have my stock radiator and single fan, but if I go down the 402 ls2 route someday I think I would need a bit of an upgrade.
We are going to be looking into that in a couple of weeks from now. I've got a couple of leads, I'll let you know what we decide on.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
We are going to be looking into that in a couple of weeks from now. I've got a couple of leads, I'll let you know what we decide on.
Alright, sounds good....good luck with that....
Old 03-09-2005, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

hay im doing a swap on my 91 rs and i already have the 99 rear end in wich i found out is four inches wider than my stock rear end. for the motor mounts because there reversed from my tbi motor to the ls1 do u have to pull the a arms to pull the motor mounts or is there an easier way? also will any headers fit for this swap or do i need certain headers?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1rscamaro
hay im doing a swap on my 91 rs and i already have the 99 rear end in wich i found out is four inches wider than my stock rear end. for the motor mounts because there reversed from my tbi motor to the ls1 do u have to pull the a arms to pull the motor mounts or is there an easier way? also will any headers fit for this swap or do i need certain headers?
Hawk 's has been saying that they're going to start producing long tubes for this swap but no dice yet. They also say the headers will be stainless steel. Another place that has headers for this swap is fbodymotorsports but they look pretty cheesy and their customer service is horrible. The only other option you have is to buy thirdgen headers , cut off the flanges and weld on LS1 flanges. 4th gen headers do not fit even with a tubular K-member.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

so no 4th gen headers will fit! dam that makes it even harder to get a hold of them then. i m haveing a hard enough time trying to get headers for this project. fbody has them u said?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

They do but I wouldn't buy from them nor do those headers look like very quality pieces, Hawk's has stated that their headers will be out in May. I've bought quite a few things from them and have had a good buying experience every time. They also have quite a few LS1/thirdgen swap parts.Definitely worth checking out. Also go to www.thirdgen.org , they have an engine swap forum with LOTS of good info concerning this swap.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:23 AM
12 Second Club

how about shortys ? do i have to pull the front a arms on the car to install the conversion motor mounts? also would u sudgest wiering the car after the motors in ?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

shorty's arn't worth it over the stock manifolds, long tubes are the only way to go.

Justin
Old 03-12-2005, 03:33 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Werd to that! Don't waste your money on shorties.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Launching!

LS1rscamaro read this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/274469-third-gen-pa-tubular-k-member-macs.html

The other cheapo way for a header is to get a 3rd gen hooker header and new LS1 flanges at ya GM dealer and cut off the old flange and weld the ls1 to the hooker!

All this takes some nite brainers and all ya Q´s have been chewed thru 10 times!
Lots of things concerning a LS1 swap depend on your skills!
If you cant weld,have no friends or two left hands call up a sponsor and turn ya car in!
There are guys on this and other boards who have paid a shop to join the Hybrid LS1 gang!
Other take there time and gather LS1 stuff , read and search and then swap their LS1 without hassle!

Strange that a thing like a third gen LS1 swap is still a nitemare for some1
The first LS1 Swapper in a 3rd gen was doing it in the early days as the LS1 came out...backyard guy with a vision and hard work to get the thing rolling...its 2005 and GM is throwing another LSX generation on the market so
relax sit back and think about ya bankaccount and swap problems first and then get things rolling!

SHORTIES ON A LS1 DO NOT MAKE SENSE!

With the asking price of around 700$ you can call a board sponsor and get one done for ya needs!
All those shops that offering one or getting things rolling are not in the header BIZZ!

badjuju342 you are always throwing a helping hand to those newbies cool

BUT ITS TIME TO TELL THE TRUTH!

We and other boards should write to hooker for a ls1 swap unit or get to a sponsor like http://www.stainlessworks.net/ and try to run a GP or something like that!
This are exhaust pros and they know what we need and THEY have the tooling!!!!!!!!!!!! This will if they play with us and like me see a great LSx swap market keep prices low!
WHY ARE LSX HEADER (8 pipes ,flange,collector) far more expensive than the 1gen chevy headers!?????????????????????????????????????????? ??
700$ for a header shortie hahahah

would you pay 5$ at the gas station just because you own a brand new car and the old honda fueling up next to you pays 50ct a gallon cause he got a old car?????
AMERICA PLSSSSSSSSSSS!
The first Company that puts out a ls1 3rd gen LT header for 300-450$ will have orders for the next 2years!
OLD HENRY FORD did make a cheap azz A-model and AMERICA WAS BORN!
Everybody could buy it and all other companies were running fine with it cause people need slicks and other hardware to burn the LSX POWER to the ground!

Quick Reply: Might be doing LS1 in thirdgen conversion, any tips or warnings?