Sponsored by:

Third gen PA tubular k-member and MACs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Third gen PA tubular k-member and MACs

DONT FIT

Well i took the time to hoist the engine up take off the alt.. the a/c and the mounts.. then bolted on the k-member

They are all over the lower a-arm mount on the driver side.. suprisingly the passanger side which someone told me would be the trouble area fit perfectly with no issues.. i cant see any hope in hell of any 4th gen headers fitting

Whats my other options.. i got too many parts to turn back now.. id loose more sellin parts then just suckin it up and gettin some new headers..

Old 02-11-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

damn, i hate to hear that, I was hoping they would fit. I do know someone on Thirdgen.org took set of big block(hooker super comp) third gen headers and had to modify a couple of tubes and weld up the LS1 flange and made them work, but seems like alot of work and not cheap either. I would like to see some more choices too. Good luck and keep all of us posted.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

well i see that as the only option and im gonna have him do that to a set of 2210s for me

i just have to find a set of used ones preferably.. cause it would suck to hack up a new pair of 400$ headers
Old 02-11-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bruce Hawkins (www.hawksthirdgenparts.com) has also designed some. Last I spoke to him about it, he wanted to test-fit them on a lowered car to check ground clearance before he starts getting them made up to sell.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Launching!

The hooker is the getto way to move till now!

The hooker comp version for small blocks was used by the third genner who was tired of hustling the indutrie for making one!

Hooker did 82-92 shorties and Lts and a big block swap header for the third gen world !I cant understand why Hooker is not moving on the market with LS1 swap headers for Fbodys 1-4th gen and other Chevy monsters like ChevyII.......

There has been lots of talk about the LT from Bruce but no sale!
If He sells them he will be the only supplier for LS1 Third gen LT´s!

The brave version is to get the GM LS1 header flange Nr. 12480130 and go from there with a weld up kit!
Found some prices of laser cut 3/8 flanges can someone post stainless and steel weld up kit prices and www info?
The Cat is a race version 3" up to 5"
Attached Thumbnails Third gen PA tubular k-member and MACs-116-0304-head-7_z-1.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by LS1 Hybrid Magna; 02-12-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
Bruce Hawkins (www.hawksthirdgenparts.com) has also designed some. Last I spoke to him about it, he wanted to test-fit them on a lowered car to check ground clearance before he starts getting them made up to sell.
My car is lowered with tubular kmember and a-arms...im willing to donate my car for the test...
Old 02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last I spoke to him about it, he wanted to test-fit them on a lowered car to check ground clearance before he starts getting them made up to sell.
They better fit or I am going to have to spend some big $ for a custom set. I have way to much invested in this thing to not get LT headers.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YsoFast - I hear you, I feel the same way about my own swap.

92CamaroReallySlow - maybe you should get hold of Bruce directly!! My swap MIGHT be the guneau pig - not sure if I want it lowered or not is all. I deliver my car to Bruce in the morning, so I'm sure the topic will be coming up soon.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
92CamaroReallySlow - maybe you should get hold of Bruce directly!! My swap MIGHT be the guneau pig - not sure if I want it lowered or not is all. I deliver my car to Bruce in the morning, so I'm sure the topic will be coming up soon.
Well I dont live real close and the car wont be done for a couple more weeks, and im at college so i would have no way to get it there. I might give him a call just to see what his plans are, but well see...
Old 02-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Launching!

I hope Hawks starts selling some LT's. I'm getting tired of the exhaust leak coming from the drivers side collector. (My exhaust shop had to make the Y-Pipe flange on the drivers side and its not quite right.) Also, does anyone know if the LT's are going to fit with the stock K-Member? I hope so, but if not, then no LT's for me. I'll just have to fab up a twin hairdryer set-up and not worry about LT's.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a feeling that if he does start selling them they wont be for stock k-member but I could be wrong. I never had the motor in with the stock k-member but im guessing there is a lot less room to work with without the tubular k-member.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Fbodymotorsports.com has alot of LS1 Swap parts too. They have a set of shorties for $699, and they have some picks of the exhaust system and how it was run on the 91 Z they did. I dont know about hawks, my friend ordered a door panel that was supposedly new for his 89 GTA and it looked like it was cut off a car with a butter knife. They seem kinda shadey but its up to you.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

damn for 300 us i think i could make the mac's fit on the driver side

or just make another header for that side only
Old 02-13-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey guys, I dropped my car off at Hawks today, and spoke with Bruce (at length!) in person. He's got a car that they will be fitting up long tube headers on WITH THE STOCK K-MEMBER, next week. He's investing a lot of money out of pocket for these, and will make them available for sale once they get all the fitment measurements off to the place that is going to manufacture them. He's estimating the price at around the $800-$900 dollar range.

I've read that the stock manifolds on 2001 and later LS1s flow BETTER than the shorties made by fbodymotorsports. Even JBA shorties are not supposed to flow "better" than those manifolds, so personally I think shorty headers are just a waste of money on these engines. Mid-lengths or long tubes are the ONLY way to go to wake these up!

As to Hawks being "shady," I was THERE today at his place of business. It is as clean and professional as ANY place I've ever been to. Ironically, if you go onto www.thirdgen.org you will find that it is fbodymotorsports that has a reputation for lousy service and undelivered parts, whereas Bruce Hawkins has an EXCELLENT reputation with those guys. I've bought swap parts from both fbodymotorsports and hawksthirdgenparts, and one of the reasons I decided to hire Bruce to do my swap was because I got GREAT service from him, my phone call was returned, and my questions were answered promptly. Fbodymotorsports didn't treat me badly, but just didn't seem like they were as friendly or interested in helping me as much, when I spoke on the phone with Roy (my call was not returned - I had to call back to get to talk to him). Anyway, if your friend was not happy with the door panel, then I suspect there was either a misunderstanding somewhere in what he was ordering, or else he did not contact them and express his dissatisfaction. BOTTOM LINE is that I can vouch for the legitimacy of his business, and the obvious pride that Bruce takes in ALL of his business operations. He's got some of the sweetest looking and running f-bodies in his yard that I have ever seen.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea Bruce is a good guy, ive had a few fittement(sp?) issues with some of stuff and hes helped me work them out each an every time.

89FormulaLS2, did bruce happen to mention approximatly when these will be for sale? Also anything about a y-pipe that would hook up to stock catback location, or are we going to have to do custom?

I have the same problem with spending thousands of dollars on a car and not even having longtubes (unfortunatly I am poor right now and need a job )...I have JBA shorties and their probably more for show than for go, might get a few hp to the ground, but they look better and i got em from a friend for 75 bucks.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Nsm92LS1 Fbodymotorsports.com is not a sponsor of the board!
The price for a pair of shorties (pls take a look at this XXXX design)for $699 kind of looks like the same attempt to rob someone as ya friend payed for a new doorpanel and got a used one!

Funny how the parts look like they are off another LS1 Sponsor website.....

Dj92GTA you are dammmmm right!LS1 supply seems to be the biggest ripp off machine for some dealers!
800-900 $ for that amount of money call Stainless Exhaust a sponsor of the board and asked for a header!
You may have more luck on the force/turbo board were lots of "crazy" Turbo nuts have there headers done....post there with a call for a set of headers and you will for sure get websites of companies in ya spot.
You may wanna call John at Speartech he is 100% Fbody and has a own LS1
Hybrid , he is a Board Sponsor and is 100% customer friendly!
His Ride shows stock headers but he might have a solution....!

89FormulaLS2 I can only support what you said ...but Hawk is not showing up on the sponsor list either...????I might be wrong pls somebody clear this up!THANXS!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Awesome, LT's with the stock K-Member, finally.

I will vouch for Bruce Hawkins anytime. I ordered close to $2K worth of parts from Hawks while building this car and that is directly attributed to the excellent service he provived me. I called him a couple times looking for parts and advice and he came through everytime when no one else seemed to care or didnt know what the hell I was talking about. So yeah, Hawks is the way to go IMHO.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any idea what size piping these LTs are going to be made out of? I hope they are as good as some of the sets made for the 4th gens.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YsoFast
Any idea what size piping these LTs are going to be made out of? I hope they are as good as some of the sets made for the 4th gens.
No, I'm not sure about the piping size. I do know that they will be made out of stainless steel.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1 Hybrid Magna
Nsm92LS1 Fbodymotorsports.com is not a sponsor of the board!
The price for a pair of shorties (pls take a look at this XXXX design)for $699 kind of looks like the same attempt to rob someone as ya friend payed for a new doorpanel and got a used one!

Funny how the parts look like they are off another LS1 Sponsor website.....

Dj92GTA you are dammmmm right!LS1 supply seems to be the biggest ripp off machine for some dealers!
800-900 $ for that amount of money call Stainless Exhaust a sponsor of the board and asked for a header!
You may have more luck on the force/turbo board were lots of "crazy" Turbo nuts have there headers done....post there with a call for a set of headers and you will for sure get websites of companies in ya spot.
You may wanna call John at Speartech he is 100% Fbody and has a own LS1
Hybrid , he is a Board Sponsor and is 100% customer friendly!
His Ride shows stock headers but he might have a solution....!

89FormulaLS2 I can only support what you said ...but Hawk is not showing up on the sponsor list either...????I might be wrong pls somebody clear this up!THANXS!
Magna,

No, Bruce is not a sponsor of this site (nor is fbodymotorsports). However, I feel there is no wrong with speaking of them, since their products are catering SPECIFICALLY to 3rd gen owners, for which there are NO OTHER SPONSORS on this board who provide for us. If another sponsor were to step up and make parts, then it would be different. (I WILL note that both carry a line of SPOHN PERFORMANCE parts, and Spohn IS an LS1tech.com sponsor).

I can't really see that it would be worth it to these specialty shops doing 3rd gen LSx conversions to become a sponsor of this site at this point in time (my own opinion, nothing Bruce or Roy have ever said to me). There are so few of us 3rd gen guys putting in LS series engines, that there isn't enough demand (yet, anyway) to spend a lot on advertising and marketing. In the future, that might change, however.

The only sponsor on here who does 3rd gen swaps is SPEARTECH. But John also does a LOT more than "just" Ls1 wiring for 3rd gen cars, so I'm sure the cost-effectiveness of his advertising is well justified.

Quick Reply: Third gen PA tubular k-member and MACs