Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo LS6 Power into a 1992 AWD Typhoon ***Pics 56k beware***

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo Man
what is the latest word on this project? I keep checking back and there hasnt been an update latley.

Thanks for the interest, I havent forgotten about any updates.. I havent had a chance to really do a WHOLE lot on the truck lately.. We rented the track last weekend at Bowling Green KY and made a stop off at the Vette Museum..

Pics of the cars at the track are here:

http://www.turbols6.com/gallery/view...mName=JSM-Meet

and pics of the vette museum are here:

http://www.turbols6.com/gallery/view...e=Vette-Museum

I expect to make some progress very soon on the Typhoon... I have been waiting on my friend to get some of the more critical parts (engine mounts) cut out from plate. If he doesnt have them done soon I am going to get them cut somewhere else.. This has been really bogging my progress down.. I expect to hopefully get the motor in and bolted in place then I can report back..
Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Teching In

That Ty is INCREDIBLE. I have always thought of the engine as the weak link in those trucks (all you SyTy people don't get pissed, it's only my opinion and I'm not knocking those 3/4 350s) and a LSx seems like the way to go. And to gnx7, a friend of mine has a Datsun 510 with a turbocharged L24 from a 240Z set way back into the firewall and offset towards the passenger side for more operating room and better lateral weight distribution, and the widest tire he has managed in front with full range of movement is a 9" Hoosier road race slick, and that's with about a third hanging outside the stock fenders and under the flares. But if you can amnage to shoehorn an LSx into one with awd more power to you, maybe you can help me put one in my Karmann Ghia lol.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Teching In

lol some interesting posts on this one. gotta love the idea of puttin a turbo v8 in a SyTy. and Mmm PB i think i have seen that Datto...silver with 2 thick black diagonal stripes on the sides? it sounded wicked and was fast as hell which made me wonder what it had. if you still want to put a ls1 in that Ghia you might try taking some cues from the SyTys and put it over the rear but backwards and flip the "rearend" housing.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Yeah that's the car and it's probably wilder now because last week it got another engine built to handle more boost and it's at more than 500hp now. Yes, I still want to put a LS1 in my Ghia and I still want to put it in front, in fact I want to even more because I saw scanned images from a South American modified car magazine with a carbed Ford 302 in the front of a one and the back of the motor was under the rearmost area of the hood. It had small wheel tubs kind of like Cobras and you really couldn't tell it had a V8 from the outside. It even used the stock horn grills as radiator inlets. Now something tells me a LS1 isn't as tall as a carbed 302. Also in response to your earlier post in my original thread I want to put a LS1 in my Scirocco less than my Ghia because I'm in California and my Ghia is smog exempt. Anyway I won't get into it too much because I have my other thread.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Are you in Kentucky Ty? My buddy had an invite to go to that track rental last weekend, but his car won't be running for another month or so. I'd like to take a look at your truck whenever it gets finished, it's gonna be a bad *****.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by O'dell
Are you in Kentucky Ty? My buddy had an invite to go to that track rental last weekend, but his car won't be running for another month or so. I'd like to take a look at your truck whenever it gets finished, it's gonna be a bad *****.

Close, I am in Indianapolis.. However I have alot of friends down in the louisville area that are SYTY guys (and car nuts in general).. As for the truck, I hope to have it running sometime this summer.. If it doesnt, I swear I'm gonna cry !!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Slightly off topic, but how much can a Sy/Ty tow? I was looking into buying one but I want to be able to tow a boat with it. I want to not only use it for performance, but to take advantage of its utility capability. Great project by the way.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

According to GM ---- > Zero <---- Has it been done.. Sure.. Just gotta be smart, undoubtedly, the weakest link is the transmission... AWD + 450lb ft of Tq (stock) = DEATH to the 700r4..

Its a well known fact that GM purposely underrated the HP/TQ numbers for sytys so as not to **** off the C4 guys (cant be upstaged by an SUV can ya ?)

Take it easy towing, ie, no boost launchs and keep OUT of the boost and it will prolly be fine..
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Wow. I thought it would have been rated like the Jimmys. About 5k or so. They use the same trans. Well I can't buy a new one so a built trans would be a givin. I am well aware of the 700. Thanks and good luck on the project. I will keep a watch on here for it.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tydriver
Close, I am in Indianapolis.. However I have alot of friends down in the louisville area that are SYTY guys (and car nuts in general).. As for the truck, I hope to have it running sometime this summer.. If it doesnt, I swear I'm gonna cry !!

Good Luck. Theres a few of us that go up to Indianapolis on tuesday nights for TT, but right now I'm the only one with a running car so it'll probably be a little while till we get back up there.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by O'dell
Good Luck. Theres a few of us that go up to Indianapolis on tuesday nights for TT, but right now I'm the only one with a running car so it'll probably be a little while till we get back up there.
I work a 4on 4off schedule so shoot me a PM sometime you are gonna be up here.. I wouldnt mind going out to IRP, infact.. I live 4 blocks from it and have attended many a Test & Tune night there when my truck WAS running..

I need to get hooked up with some Fbody guys anyhow since I'm going to need tuning help/advice on this beast once its closer to running.. I bought EFILive and have been playing around with it on my '02 Silverado, but thats sorta pointless because there really isnt any HUGE gains to be had on a 100% stock truck..
Old 04-19-2005, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tydriver
I work a 4on 4off schedule so shoot me a PM sometime you are gonna be up here.. I wouldnt mind going out to IRP, infact.. I live 4 blocks from it and have attended many a Test & Tune night there when my truck WAS running..

I need to get hooked up with some Fbody guys anyhow since I'm going to need tuning help/advice on this beast once its closer to running.. I bought EFILive and have been playing around with it on my '02 Silverado, but thats sorta pointless because there really isnt any HUGE gains to be had on a 100% stock truck..

Can definetly help you out there, one of my good friends just opened up a shop here in louisville that specializes in ls1s, and really any high performace car. He's building a twin turbo 98ws6 right now, can't disclose any other details but it's gonan haul. We should be up there later in the summer with his car, another turbo SS, my slow junk, and a pretty nasty supra. I'll shoot ya a pm and let ya know.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Launching!

sounds good.. Hopefully I will have a running truck by then.. <back on subject> New parts were ordered today to complete the brakes and get the motor mounts DONE..

wahooooooooo
Old 04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome project! I've always been a fan of the Sy/Tys, love to have one sometime. That should be a hell of a fun time when you get it all put together.

On a related note, who has the quickest AWD now? I believe that there was a guy in town (Fort Wayne) with a beautiful white truck that was shooting for that.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Launching!

I know the guy that you are talking about, he's a good friend.. In terms of Typhoons its pretty much tied around 10.7x's where John G's (the guy you mentioned) and a guy in canada are at..

The Syclones, theres a pretty good battle going on now... Some shooting for Mid 9s as we speak/type.. This year is going to blow the lid off ET's in terms of SyTy's.. My truck will never run that fast.. Since i refuse to cage the truck my goals have changed.. I am shooting more for a Autocrosser actually with some serious OOOOMPH and the occasional blast down the 1/4mi track..

The guy you mentioned in Ft Wayne is actually building a 2wd Typhoon that supposed to tickle the 8's when its done and look BONE STOCK with radio and full interior in it !!
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Got some additional parts on Friday.. Check 'em out 8)

GT42r Full Ball bearing turbo with fully polished compressor and a whoppin' 5" inlet and turbine outlet !! This thing is a beast !!

5" Inlet tubing & elbow

Tial 38mm Wastegate and associated hardware:

Special thanks to Eric @ www.turbotime.us for the quick service and shipping. I am somewhat concerned about using the turbo... As Ben Stiller would put it.... Its GI-NORMOUS.. This thing is is a monster at 44# dead weight and bigger than a basketball.. Its going to be hard enough to get the LS6 under the hood, much less a turbo of this size.. It may force my hand to run twins.. Just depends at this point.. I hope to get a chance to get into the garage tomorrow and actually start playing with some of this stuff... Up next are headers .. I wanted to snap a pic of the mandrel bend tubes but they are coated in oil to prevent rusting and I dont think the wife would appreciate it on the living room floor.. Perhaps tomorrow once I can lay them out on the garage floor.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Todd, that's definitely gihugenous. I don't have any idea where you're going to be able to stuff that.

I personally think an STS styled setup would be good for the AWD S10 / Typhoon, given the lack of underhood space, but I don't think there is a good way to get the turbo outlet tubing up to the motor. I haven't looked at it really closely, not even sure there is enough space under the truck for that monster, its huge.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you locate that thing. And you're right, space constraints may dictate twins. At least that's my thinking.

'Dreamin'
Old 06-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Launching!

That's badass....I can't wait to see the end result. As far as where to mount the turbo, it's definetly gonna take some ingenuity, but I think with patience you could get it to fit.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say this is the coolest LSX swap I've seen. I love SyTy's!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Bringing this post back from the dead.. Finally FINALLY have progress on my truck.. I could almost pee my pants ( no, not really, but I am pretty excited)..

I finally got a chance to attempt installation of my sheetmetal oil pan:

As you can see, we've given up on the idea that the stock pan can be modified, while I am confident it still can be, however, warping is a concern. It was decided that this project would be better off in the hands of someone who has done a few of these before (not specifically LS1 pans, but sheetmetal pans for all sorts of motors).

The pan is about 90% there, it needs some additional tweaking (nothing too major), and FINAL WELDING and then its ready to rock !!

The stock truck pickup tube is also very close to fitting, not 100% yet, but minor tweaks there as well:

Hopefully this beast will actually RUN this summer!! I wont know what to do if it does.. I will be probably too scared to drive the dang thing !

Anyhow, as always, pictures are up in my gallery on the website.

Quick Reply: Turbo LS6 Power into a 1992 AWD Typhoon ***Pics 56k beware***