Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005 | 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Ok heres some pics. Ignore the tranny tunnel. We cut it down low, where it appeared to be the problem, opened that up and realized we needed to cut higher up... My temper didn't help any hehe. Put my foot on the metal and kicked it open. As a look closer... a 3 inch peice of metal will overlap and cover the gap well.

Heres some pics showing clearance. If you need anymore just let me know!

Oh, I also through in a pic of the PS pump without the PS box installed.

-Matt
Hi matt, Looks like it all fits. I think you have used different accs than I , I used the f body ones. my alt is on the bot. drivers side. I may of said the power steering pump above. I just finishes pluming it and both needed to remove for the pluming. forgot that it was the top one in the post. My Mistake if I did. it is the alt. that didnt clear. the pump. I think you went back a lot further than I did. I belive if I too went back that far, with the 4L60e I would need to cut the sheet metal like you did. should make the weight transfer good.
Old 04-14-2005 | 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Glad I asked. I can't be doing **** like that to my GTO. Looks like a T56 will fit much better.

Andrew
Old 04-14-2005 | 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Glad I asked. I can't be doing **** like that to my GTO. Looks like a T56 will fit much better.

Andrew
Think again Andrew(sorry to say though). With BRP mounts you HAVE to T cut your tranny tunnel. Straight from BRP. They suggested I might be able to get away with a hammer, I decided I'd rather just cut it.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2005 | 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
Hi matt, Looks like it all fits. I think you have used different accs than I , I used the f body ones. my alt is on the bot. drivers side. I may of said the power steering pump above. I just finishes pluming it and both needed to remove for the pluming. forgot that it was the top one in the post. My Mistake if I did. it is the alt. that didnt clear. the pump. I think you went back a lot further than I did. I belive if I too went back that far, with the 4L60e I would need to cut the sheet metal like you did. should make the weight transfer good.
Yes I'm using the truck acces. set-up. How far is your passenger head from the firewall? Mines half inch.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2005 | 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

I am around 2" Got room for the harness and all connections. looks like same type of distance that a small block would have. I needed to use the f body oil pan and it was modified to clear the front cross member. I used the chevelle trans cross member and it would of worked out great but it didn't clear the exaust I bought it had an X pipe. so I cut it all up and fabed it into a new one. I am thinking if you have a body and use the f body stuff you should be ok not doing any cutting to the body. I didnt need to hit the fire wall any if I used the above stuff to mount the ls1 in the stock frame holes but I moved it back in the chassies to clear the alt. but S&P does make a relocation bracket for the alt to work. yep, its like 300.00 but they have one. Can some one tell me how to post pics. I will post a few....
Old 04-18-2005 | 01:15 AM
Teching In

Will an Ls1 into a 71 cutlass supreme be much different from your chevelle? I wanted to do one which transmission will be better (easier) for the conversion.
Old 04-18-2005 | 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't see it being much different. The Cutlass is still an A-body car. For the easiest swap possible.... I'd say go with a 01-02 LS1 with the 4l60e tranny.

-Matt
Old 04-18-2005 | 10:32 AM
Teching In

What other cars would be considered A- bodies. Since I want to do some suspension and brake upgrades. What cars do people usually get there suspension from?
Old 04-18-2005 | 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member20 Year Member

A-bodies are GTO/Le Mans, Skylark, Cutlass, Chevelle, El Camino and Sprint
Old 04-18-2005 | 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Think again Andrew(sorry to say though). With BRP mounts you HAVE to T cut your tranny tunnel. Straight from BRP. They suggested I might be able to get away with a hammer, I decided I'd rather just cut it.

-Matt
I guess that is the price you pay for not having to modify the pan. With their mounts, the engine is further back which makes for nice pan clearance, but obviosly there are other major issue. Looks like I will be modifying a pan and pick up. Cutting the body is not an option for me. The underside of my car has better paint than most cars on top.

Andrew
Old 04-18-2005 | 03:58 PM
11 Second Club

I put a 6.0 4l80e out of an 02 suburban in my 68 lemans . No tunnel mods, no frame mods,ac compressor fits fine as does the power steering pump. I think I am going to use the fan without any problems. I also have the 6.0 oil pan and intake. jim
Old 04-18-2005 | 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by hugger 6933
I put a 6.0 4l80e out of an 02 suburban in my 68 lemans . No tunnel mods, no frame mods,ac compressor fits fine as does the power steering pump. I think I am going to use the fan without any problems. I also have the 6.0 oil pan and intake. jim
Jim,

Did you use commercially available motor mounts, or did you make your own? Do you have pictures that you can post?

Andrew
Old 04-18-2005 | 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess that is the price you pay for not having to modify the pan. With their mounts, the engine is further back which makes for nice pan clearance, but obviosly there are other major issue. Looks like I will be modifying a pan and pick up. Cutting the body is not an option for me. The underside of my car has better paint than most cars on top.

Andrew
I guess if making the car handle isn't a top priority... I can't speek for you. I have no clue what the car is being built for but I assume it's your GTO.

I'd LOVE to see pics of this. My engine is sitting way low in the car. Infact the highest part on the oil pan(closest to the engine) is sitting on my front crossmember. Couldn't get any lower. The truck pan would then be hanging 3 inches below my front crossmember just asking to be wiped off by a bump in the road.

Theres obviously different ways of attacking this. Although I'm stumped how you can run a truck oil pan, no tunnel mods, without having the oilpan hanging down low.

-Matt
Old 04-19-2005 | 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Matt,

Handling is a priority, but the benefits that are gained by moving the engine 2-3 inches further back are not worth it if I have to perform tunnel surgery. Besides, having an LSx engine instead of the BBC that is in there now will improve handling tremendously.

Andrew
Old 04-19-2005 | 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Matt,

Handling is a priority, but the benefits that are gained by moving the engine 2-3 inches further back are not worth it if I have to perform tunnel surgery. Besides, having an LSx engine instead of the BBC that is in there now will improve handling tremendously.

Andrew
Andrew,

To each his own! 3 inches is quite a bit. Either way if your gonna have fun... Who the hell cares?

-Matt
Old 05-08-2005 | 06:23 PM
Teching In

Hey Ls1_chevelle got a engine mount question. I'm doing a 5.3L truck motor with a 4l60e swap in a Luv and was wondering is your tranny level with your motor because i was going to level the motor to the frame but the tranny seems at an angle, so i figured i'd level the tranny to the frame and have the motor at a slight angle, any advice? Thanks
Fred
Old 05-08-2005 | 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fred,

I'm not totally able to give you an answer that you'd like seeing how I bought the mounts from a manufacturer(BRP). However the tranny appears to be level with the frame if that helps any. The best way to do it is get the plates made with no holes, set the engine and tranny in there and get the 3-5 degree drive train angle(off the tranny) that is needed.

Sorry I'm not much help

-Matt
Old 06-09-2005 | 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to make up some hoses for adapting a stock style steering box on a 72 chevelle to a power steering pump on a Gen III LQ9 engine out of an Escalade. I've been told that the fittings for the pump are 16mm saginaw male fittings. Can you confirm this? Do you know what the fittings for the steering box are? Are the fittings the same for the high pressure and low pressure lines in the box?
Old 06-11-2005 | 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have no dug into the power steering lines yet so I'm no help. I'll look around but post up once you find the info!

-Matt
Old 06-11-2005 | 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

I have no dug into the power steering lines yet so I'm no help. I'll look around but post up once you find the info!

-Matt
Yes, the high pressure output line from the PS pump is a 16mm saginaw. See www.performanceplumbing.com for these. The input fitting is just a 3/8? slip on tube.

Quick Reply: 6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle