Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle

Well after some cursing and scratchin heads the engine and tranny is in place. Right now its a matter of getting the engine level with the frame and having the tranny inline. Once its all straight and level gonna have the engine mounts(on front crossmember) tac'd in place then I can drill some new holes for them mounts, then drill the tranny crossmember holes. We had to butcher the tranny tunnel which kinda sucks but I don't really care at the same time. I'll find a way to make it look pretty(after all, carpet is going over top, just needs a nice shape with strength)

Engine sits in a decent location. Pops and I want to cut out the firewall later on and move the engine back further. Right now the passenger head is 1/2 inch from the firewall.

Less talk more pics!

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails 6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-6front.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-6side.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-6sideintake.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-4l80ground.jpg  
Old 04-10-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

that engine bay is freaking massive/1
Old 04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Teching In

I remeber my 72 olds 98, you could have dinner for two in the engine bay.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
that engine bay is freaking massive/1
Perfect for twin turbos, or a 76mm turbo, or a supercharger... hmm. lol

-Matt
Old 04-11-2005, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Yup it's official, you have plenty of room for future growth in that engine bay. Looks really good so far and kudos on the tranny crossmember. That is on of the cleanest pieces I have seen. I wish I could make one for my hybrids that looked that good. Cheers !!!

Jim C.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Geek
Yup it's official, you have plenty of room for future growth in that engine bay. Looks really good so far and kudos on the tranny crossmember. That is on of the cleanest pieces I have seen. I wish I could make one for my hybrids that looked that good. Cheers !!! Jim C.
I can't take credit for the crossmember. Its a BRP hotrods part.

Thanks for the kind words.

-Matt
Old 04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Nice Job! I'm looking at the BRP mounts and crossmember for my 68 chevelle.

Two questions -

1) What oil pan are you using, and who modified it for you?

2) Have you checked clearance on the PS pump or AC compressor yet?

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
I can't take credit for the crossmember. Its a BRP hotrods part.

Thanks for the kind words.

-Matt
Old 04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 72chevy72

Two questions -

Just my info, I used the f body acc and pan. pan was reworked by S&P with new pick up tube too. The alt cleared after using the S&P mounts and relocating the frame purches back areund two inches. not too sure if an ac compressor will fit but my guess on mine is no.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 72chevy72

Two questions -

1) Camaro LS1 oilpan. BRP mounts for Chevelles do not require modification which is a big A+!

2) Havn't check on my PS pump. I'm sure it will clear though. As far as AC, I won't be running it due the the car being built more for track use.

-Matt
Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I just put the PS pump on the engine, It clears the steering shaft... I will put the PS box on tomorrow and see if it clears that. Its gonna be close. Rather then normal PS lines I'm thinkin we'll have to use some nice 90 degree quick links. Ohwell.

-Matt
Old 04-13-2005, 05:00 AM
TECH Regular

My pump lines were braided stainless and some of the fittings were high cost. I have 150.00 in fittings and lines. went to Detroit flexable tubing and they had what i needed. Sure looks good. wow, its just two lines. oh well.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
My pump lines were braided stainless and some of the fittings were high cost. I have 150.00 in fittings and lines. went to Detroit flexable tubing and they had what i needed. Sure looks good. wow, its just two lines. oh well.
Ya thats the killer! For my fuel system I'm gonna try to use as much hardline as possible. lol

-Matt
Old 04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Hi: Looks like your car is coming along smoothly. What headers or exhaust manifolds are you going to use? Will the truck manifolds work OK? If you moved the engine mounts forward I wonder If the truck trans would fit with out cutting the trans tunnel? The Iron Block motor and heavy duty trans should be very strong and durable. Good luck keep us posted.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 AM
TECH Regular

No the truck ones wont fit, the f body ones will fit. I have a set that have the air stuff removed and welded shut. I will sell for 50.00 plus shipping. I used the S&P type 3 headers, they say that if you tell them they are needed for a chevelle they will make them clear a little better then just ordering them. if you left the mounts forward, your car would become relly hard to steer at low speeds. yep thats correct, (wrong WOOPS I ment the ALT wont clear and last time I checked, You can still steer the car without it. ) sorry the f-body power steering pump won't clear the steering box. so if you don't use the pump, it steers hard. I guss if you don't use the steering box, It steere eaven harder. LOL Thanks, as for the trans tunnel, I was happy to beat it in. it only needed to be pushed in around 1" in around 3 spots. I used a 5 lb hammer but hit lightly. with the motor out, you are hard pressed to see the damage. the motor sits in their real nice.
If some one lets me know how to post some Pics. I will show a few shots.
I have a freind that sells some High Performance LS1 stuff, he said a lot of people like to build the 6.0 cast block. I perfer the LS1. sounds cool to say All Al block and heads.

Last edited by 72ChevelleConv.LS1; 04-14-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
No the truck ones wont fit, the f body ones will fit. I have a set that have the air stuff removed and welded shut. I will sell for 50.00 plus shipping. I used the S&P type 3 headers, they say that if you tell them they are needed for a chevelle they will make them clear a little better then just ordering them. if you left the mounts forward, your car would become relly hard to steer at low speeds. yep thats correct, the f-body power steering pump won't clear the steering box. so if you don't use the pump, it steers hard. I guss if you don't use the steering box, It steere eaven harder. LOL Thanks, as for the trans tunnel, I was happy to beat it in. it only needed to be pushed in around 1" in around 3 spots. I used a 5 lb hammer but hit lightly. with the motor out, you are hard pressed to see the damage. the motor sits in their real nice.
If some one lets me know how to post some Pics. I will show a few shots.
I have a freind that sells some High Performance LS1 stuff, he said a lot of people like to build the 6.0 cast block. I perfer the LS1. sounds cool to say All Al block and heads.
Our engine mounts must be very different. My stock truck manifolds clear my frame fine. Its close but they clear. For the tunnel mods, the 80e is much bigger then the 60e. The biggest issue was right around the bell housing so we pretty much said screw it and cut that sucker open. We now need around 3 inches of sheetmetal to fill the opening. Makes the engine go in much nicer and no one will be able to tell the difference. Only thing I don't like is my tranny hangs down pretty low. I'll be looking at a shallower tranny pan.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 927 Posts

How much was the BRP mount and crossmember kit?

Andrew
Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

475shipped US is what they go for. I bought my kit from a guy over at protouring.com that changed his mind. He parted out a complete LS1 swap into a 72 Chevelle. I scooped the kit for 375shipped to my door. Mind you though.... With the time and effort, you could do this for less then half the price. Tranny mounts are different so you'd have to do some searching around or fill the 2 holes in the factory crossmember, and mill a slot for just one in the center.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 927 Posts

Thanks for the info Matt. Any massaging required to clear the 4L80?

Andrew
Old 04-14-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Thanks for the info Matt. Any massaging required to clear the 4L80?

Andrew
Massaging.... Fricken rights. The BIGGEST issue is the bellhousing area. Its what hung up the whole deal(engine/tranny) from going in. It also has to be raised a bit along with opened up so you can get the oilpan to clear the crossmember. Once the engine is in place you think "Holy crap thats TONS of clearence" When really, you need it to get everything set in place. Not a big deal though, cut, bent, weld.

I'll snap some pics.

-Matt
Old 04-14-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok heres some pics. Ignore the tranny tunnel. We cut it down low, where it appeared to be the problem, opened that up and realized we needed to cut higher up... My temper didn't help any hehe. Put my foot on the metal and kicked it open. As a look closer... a 3 inch peice of metal will overlap and cover the gap well.

Heres some pics showing clearance. If you need anymore just let me know!

Oh, I also through in a pic of the PS pump without the PS box installed.

-Matt
Attached Thumbnails 6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-picture-027.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-picture-026.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-picture-025.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-picture-024.jpg   6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle-picture-023.jpg  

Quick Reply: 6.0l and 4l80e are in the Chevelle