Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to do a Jag XJ6 > 5.3/4L60e swap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to do a Jag XJ6 > 5.3/4L60e swap...

I've located an '89 XJ6 that I plan on doing a V8 Chevrolet swap of some sort, using some components from www.jaguarspecialties.com (the only ones I know of offering swap components for the newer XJ40 body style). I'd like a truck 5.3 in there, as LT1s are old hat. In shopping for a complete pullout drivetrain, can I use a 2WD truck 4L60e as is? I know the trans is different from the f-body trans, but I don't know if the differences matter. An LT1 would be easier, but I'd prefer the 5.3, because they are plentiful and cheap, and are easier to find with low-miles. An LS1 from an f-body is too expensive, when there are 5.3s out of trucks everywhere (I'm in Texas, you know). What's the best way to accomplish this, with a very keen eye on the money? I can get the Jag, which is in remarkable shape inside and out, for very cheap. But I don't want to go crazy on the drivetrain. I would put it in a get it sorted out bone-stock, and maybe add a cam later. Also, I have to consider the accessory brackets from the truck, and if they'll clear. If all else fails, I'll do a carbed 350 with a healthy cam and a 700r4. I'm not worried about emissions, so that's not part of the equation. My priorities are cash, and not having to re-engineer the whole car.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Teching In

I'm also planning something similar, since I just stumbled onto a 5.3/4L60E setup from an 00 tahoe or something.

My cat is a '73 XJ6, and I am just getting ramped up on the project.

I would be more than willing to discuss and trade notes as we work along.

I will be doing a complete rebuild of the entire car. Cash is tight, but time is plentiful, so the cash-time equation will balance eventually.

Every jag guy says that this can't be done. That is flat out BS. Anything can be done, it just costs more. I am joining this forum to look into the decision of whether or not to sell my engine and buy an LT-1 that I know will fit with any number of stock kits, ranging in price and completeness from about $400 to almost $2000.

-Nate
Old 04-30-2005, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

I saw some sort of XJ last year at the track. 455 Buick powered.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Well, I'm doing an "old hat" LT1, since the LS1 looked to be a little harder and a lot more expensive than I wanted to go. I've owned several LT1s, so I know what to expect. By the way, Andrew at www.jaguarspecialties.com is absolutely awesome. He responds to emails quickly, and has good solutions to problems and other helpful hints, like making money off of the old components you pull off the Jag that are worth something. The XJ40 style ('88-'94) works great for the swap; the stock fuel pump/system is more than adequate, and is a return style, so all I have to do is hook the lines to the fuel rail. The stock tach is easily modified to run off the PCM signal. The stock speedo runs off the rear end, so no mods needed for the speedo. On top of that, '88-89 XJ6 Jags are easily found in great cosmetic condition for less than $1500-1800. I paid $1100 for a running, driving, cold A/C Jag with only a couple of small dings and no rust. It has excellent paint, and the interior is very nice, except for the driver's seat bottom leather that needs to be replaced. I then picked up an 80k mile '95 Buick Roadmaster LT1 complete with all accessories and complete wiring harness for $600. I then got a '94 4L60e out of a Camaro. It was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago (with receipt), has some internal mods and a 2400 B&M Holeshot converter for $400. I've got at least $500 worth of parts coming out of the Jag, so this whole project is starting off nicely.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Teching In

There was a guy in Chico, California in the mid '80s that did these swaps as a business. No idea how to contact him, but maybe a search? I remember he had V12 engines lined up in the back yard!!!

Quick Reply: Looking to do a Jag XJ6 > 5.3/4L60e swap...