Sponsored by:

Fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel pump for '86 Elcamino LS1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel pump for '86 Elcamino LS1 swap

Hey Guys,

I am picking up my LS1 from SpearTech at the end of this month. I am gathering all parts or at least information on how tos...

I can purchase a new gas tank for a 1986 Elcamino with Fuel Injection but I am not sure how to set the fuel pump in the tank or the sending unit.

Is the sending unit and fuel pump a combo setup different than a stock sending unit alone?

Where can I get one?

What fuel pump should I go with?

SpearTech is setting me up with a fuel filter regulator setup with the return line so I only have to run one line to the fuel rail, sweet. I just need to solve which fuel pump to use and the fuel sending unit.

My setup should be similar to John B's setup but he didn't go into detail on his sending unit or fuel pump.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, get the tank for a TBI injected El Camino along with the matching sending unit. The injected tank is different in that it has baffling to keep fuel around the pump. Also, get the matching TBI sending unit for this tank. You can use a '87-'92 Camaro TPI electric fuel pump on this sending unit with very little modification. That will provide you with pressurized fuel to your new Vette FPR. The sending unit also has a return line and a vent line. The return from the FPR will tie to the return and the vent will need to be at least left open (the tank isn't vented) and preferrably run to a charcoal cannister to avoid the dreaded gas smell in the garage. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I kinda have the part numbers. I have been looking for a while and used senders are hard to come by. I still haven`t figured out if the El Camino sender and monte sender are the same. I just posted on this topic yesterday at the national El Camino owners association site. www.necoa.org Here is what I posted.

Ok, I checked gm parts direct and rock auto and found the PN`S for the fuel injection senders. 87 4.3L El Caminos use #25092938, 87 efi monte`s use #25092742. According to Rock auto 85/86 El Caminos and montes use #25004938, according to gm parts direct 85/86 El Caminos use #25004940, and montes use #25004938 well now that I am confused. 85 to 87 El Caminos use the same tank so I don`t get why there are two different senders, I checked the pics and the only difference I see is that the 87 has a rectangular float and the 85/86 is round. I am also wondering why rock auto and GM list different #`s for the 85/86 El Camino sender the only thing I can think of is that rock auto is wrong and trying to sell you a sender for a monte since it will also fit but I heard it is shorter than the El Camino sender. I typed the GM #25004940 number into the rock auto site and it came up invalid. I looked at olds, and buick g-bodies and the senders are different PN`s. Can anyone verify that the 85/86 El Camino sender and monte sender are different?

Today I checked the AC Delco website and it listed the sender for 85/86 El Caminos and montes as #25004938 the same as rock auto, so mabey the monte and El Camino senders are the same, I can`t find a pic of #25004940 to verify
Old 05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
Well I kinda have the part numbers. I have been looking for a while and used senders are hard to come by. I still haven`t figured out if the El Camino sender and monte sender are the same. I just posted on this topic yesterday at the national El Camino owners association site. www.necoa.org Here is what I posted.

Ok, I checked gm parts direct and rock auto and found the PN`S for the fuel injection senders. 87 4.3L El Caminos use #25092938, 87 efi monte`s use #25092742. According to Rock auto 85/86 El Caminos and montes use #25004938, according to gm parts direct 85/86 El Caminos use #25004940, and montes use #25004938 well now that I am confused. 85 to 87 El Caminos use the same tank so I don`t get why there are two different senders, I checked the pics and the only difference I see is that the 87 has a rectangular float and the 85/86 is round. I am also wondering why rock auto and GM list different #`s for the 85/86 El Camino sender the only thing I can think of is that rock auto is wrong and trying to sell you a sender for a monte since it will also fit but I heard it is shorter than the El Camino sender. I typed the GM #25004940 number into the rock auto site and it came up invalid. I looked at olds, and buick g-bodies and the senders are different PN`s. Can anyone verify that the 85/86 El Camino sender and monte sender are different?

Today I checked the AC Delco website and it listed the sender for 85/86 El Caminos and montes as #25004938 the same as rock auto, so mabey the monte and El Camino senders are the same, I can`t find a pic of #25004940 to verify
Talking to ecparts.com the part number for 87 4.3L El Caminos use #25092938 is for a 22 gal tank FI sending unit. They have a FI 22 gal tank and that sending unit however they don't have the tank straps. My Elco is set up with a 18 gal tank. I can find the 18 gal tank (they call it 17 gal) but I can't find the FI sending unit for that size tank. There is an FI tank 18 gal size so there must be a sending unit for it.

Does anyone know if a Monti FI sending unit would work?

Does anyone know if a Monti FI sending unit with a Monti tank would mount in my Elco?

Is there an aftermarket sending unit I could use if I purchased an 18 gal FI tank?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:25 PM

The monte tank will not fit in an El Camino, the monte fuel filler comes out the back to behind the license plate, the El Camino is on the side. I still cant figure out if a monte sender will work, I checked a local AC Delco parts store and they list the same sender for a monte and El Camino, I found pics of the carb senders and the monte sender looks shorter than the one for the El Camino. I am going to try and check the hollander interchange when I can find one. There is somewhere that sells tank straps just saw them, might have been the elcamino store or honest charley or dixie montecarlo depot
Old 05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Launching!

The monte tank will not fit in an El Camino, the monte fuel filler comes out the back to behind the license plate, the El Camino is on the side. I still cant figure out if a monte sender will work, I checked a local AC Delco parts store and they list the same sender for a monte and El Camino, I found pics of the carb senders and the monte sender looks shorter than the one for the El Camino. I am going to try and check the hollander interchange when I can find one. There is somewhere that sells tank straps just saw them, might have been the elcamino store or honest charley or dixie montecarlo depot
That is the same information I received, that the Monte pickup tube is shorter than the Elco. That wouldn't be good since that would leave gas still in the tank.

The 22 gal FI tank is in the $260 range and the 22 gal FI sender is $330 range and discontinued.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:19 PM

If you search on car-part the new 22 gal tanks are like 100-150 and the senders are still available through gm parts direct the sender for the 87 El Caminos was like $180 I think the sender for the 85/86 may have ben a couple bucks cheaper.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Launching!

If you search on car-part the new 22 gal tanks are like 100-150 and the senders are still available through gm parts direct the sender for the 87 El Caminos was like $180 I think the sender for the 85/86 may have ben a couple bucks cheaper.
I don't want to order from gmpartsdirect until I know with confidence I know the exact GM part numbers. So I will look for somehow acquireing the part numbers. I will post any information I have found.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:22 PM

Stopped at a couple of junk yards today and the only one who tried to look it up in the hollander interchange said that sending units were not listed, just tank assemblies. I called Scoggin Dickey Performance Center and asked for a sender and he said that it was discontinued, did a nationwide parts search and said there were none at any dealer or warehouse. I asked him for the PN and he said it was 25004940, then I asked him to check monte carlos and he said the PN for a monte is 25004938 so I guess the senders are different. If he really did a nationwide search I would have thought that if gmpartsdirect had any it would have shown up. I don`t know, looks like it`s time to break out the sawzall and welder....
Old 05-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Default FI tank info solved...

I emailed Original parts group and they send me a name and number of a shop that restores El Caminos. The guy was nice enough to give me the part numbers for the sending unit and educated me on the fuel tanks.

He stated that there are listed two sizes of tanks for the Elco 17 gal and 22 gal. He states that the tanks are identical in size and the capacity has been adjusted by the depth of the filler neck inserted into the tank. So same tank but filler neck is not longer into the tank which gains more gallons. So the sending unit for FI is the same part number listed above GM Part# 25092938.

Now I just need to order the parts and find a in-tank fuel pump to feed the LS1.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:56 PM

I checked the dimensions at www.spectrapremium.com and both tanks are the same dimensions, 38.5 X 25 X 10.75. but if you think about it that means that the 22 gallon tank would be filled higher at full than the 17 gallon tank so the senders must be different. If you put a 22 gallon sender in a 17 gallon tank it would never register full, and a 17 sender in a 22 tank would register full before the tank was actually full. at the spectra site it only lists a 22 gallon tank for a 87 4.3L El Camino so part # 25092938 must be for a 22 tank. Since they are the same dimensions I would just use a 22 gallon tank same price and more capacity.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel pump for '86 Elcamino LS1 swap