Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheaper to convert computer/go carb???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cheaper to convert computer/go carb???

I am getting ready to install 5.3 L ls1 into my extra frame for my 67 tempest. I have been putting together the cost of fuel injection over the cost of a carb conversion. I still need a computer and need to have my harness converted to wire up. For carb I would only have to buy the intake($700). Any help for cheap fuel injection. -total costs.??
Old 05-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

I've bought junkyard PCMs for between $10 and $100. Wait4meperformance sells them bor $120.

You can modify the harness yourself, send yours in to be modified or buy a new one - your choice. Speartech helps a lot of people out on this board and does a lot of harnesses for conversions. John is very knowledgable and easy to talk to.

In addition to the harness mod, you are going to need a fuel pressure regulator and filter and a fuel pump. The easiest and cheapest way for the FPR is the '98 Vette fuel pressure regulator and filter at about $35 from GM Parts Direct. You'll need a 300LPH fuel pump which will set you back about $125. AN fittings and 3/8 aluminum fuel line will run you another $80-100.

If you have the harness modified by wait4meperformance or Speartech, buy a PCM and use the Vette regulator, the price will be close to the $700 you will have in the intake alone. If you modify the harness yourself, use the Vette FPR, a junkyard PCM and a VATS simulator, the price will be about half the carb manifold but a lot more work.

If you go with fuel injection, you will need to modify your fuel tank with a swirl pot, a sump or external acumilator too. If you do it yourself, none of these cost much, but if you hire it done, it can be expensive.

Go with the fuel injection. You will never look back. Hope this helped
Old 05-31-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

carb is way cheaper!!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

thanks ls1sandrail, very informative. I might also be supercharging. didn't know how an untuned computer would work.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cost is 100% dependant upon how much you do yourself.

if you farm everything out, its going to cost a ton. if you do it all yourself, EFI is way cheaper. it just depends on the little choices on each path (EFI or carb)

Quick Reply: Cheaper to convert computer/go carb???