Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion idea

I want to start off by saying I love the site. I have been lurking in the shadows for about a year now and finally decided to register and join in on the fun. Now down to business. In December of 2002 I bought a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. It replaced my 71 240Z and sadly doesn't perform anything like it. At first I was content with driving it around stock because it gets decent gas mileage and handles ok, but now I'm really itching to get back into something that really performs. Sadly, most cars that really perform are known to really perform and I like to be subtle, so, why not modify the Tib? I could go the turbo route but it's still only a 4 banger so in order to get serious power I would need to really crank up the boost and I don't like the idea of filling the tank with race gas whenever I'm running low. So, why not an LS1? The engine bay is pretty spaceous for a fwd 4 banger car, the nose is fairly long, and it actually looks like a rwd car. I know it's fwd and that will make the swap harder (I have seen this said many times in here) but look at those V8 Focuses (Focii?). Anyway, sure would love some serious input and suggestions. Dave
Old 07-14-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The V8 Focus installation is a helluva tearup. As is said whenever anyone suggests putting an LS1 in a FWD car: Unless you have some serious fabrication skills, I don't think this swap is for you. That said, I have yet to see anyone get a transaxle from a 5.3L GrandPrix or Monte Carlo and make it work in a swap. It's an idea.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

That is a swap I would like to do. I like the way the new body tibs look. If I was goin to do it, I would go with a tube chassis. Fabricate a flloor around it. No one would expect it to be fast, so that would be kind of cool.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

this swap has been discussed a couple of times alread. Neat car, but FWD TOO MUCH WORK!!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Launching!

I'll be blunt... If your garage doesn't contain a tig welder, sheet metal brake, and a mill, and you don't have a MINIMUM of $20,000 cash on hand... this isn't the swap for you. Sell the Tiburon and buy a used Camaro/GTO/Mustang GT or something like that.