Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 maro rs engine swap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 maro rs engine swap...

i am planning on swapping out my V6 for a ls1 crate engine.... i am looking to modify the engine later, but i need to know what needs to be done to get the car running with the stock ls1... i am pretty sure i will need new motor mounts and probablt a new tranny, what else will i need... if you can give me advice on where to get the stuff that would be great to, plus the cheapest i have found a ls1 is 8G, so if you know where i can get one cheaper that would be great..... thanks for the advice.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need motor mounts, engine oil pan, tranny, tranny crossmember (modify yours), drive shaft, computer, wiring harness, exhaust manifolds or headers, and several other odds and ends.

Pace Performance (similar to Scoggin Dickey) has the LS2 for under $6000 (no ECM or harness), LS6 for $7000 (no ECM or harness), or LS1 for $6500 (includes ECM and harness.)

If you plan on going with a manual transmission I would recommend the Tremec TKO (more shifter options than the T-56), don't know the cheepest place for this transmission.

Automatic transmission I would recommend the 4L65E or 4l80E. The 4l65E is what the Silverado SS, Escalades, H2, and Corvettes use. The 4L80E is what the silverado HD (5.3, and 6.0) has in it. The 4L65E also has a lower first gear than the 4L80E, but the 4L80E is a lot stronger, so you would have to pick your preference. Check out Pace Performance Transmission Section.

Some website to look at for starts but there are many more also:
Street & Performance (brackets, mounts, oil pans, articles on LSx conversion and they explain the difference between the LS6 and LS2.
Scoggin Dickey (engines, transmissions, and performance products.