Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big roots blower on LSx

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
Especially since the intake is dry (no coolant to worry about and no fuel to puddle).

'Dreamin'
Not really. Injector/carbs sit over the blower.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by technical
They don't HAVE to....I'm sure an enterprising designer could figure out how to utilize injectors in a mostly stock location, thereby providing the excellent cylinder to cylinder fuel distribution and control that EFI is known for. Yes, I realize the 6-71 is a big honkin chunk of alum, and space would be tight, but I think its doable...

And at that point, all you'd really need is a set of butterflies on top of the blower for throttlebody duty.

But it still doesn't make up for the 6-71 et al's tremendous lack of efficiency.

'Dreamin'
Old 08-31-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
See, that's the problem. The 6-71's and such have flow capacity over the Magnacharger (which is too small for serious motors, along with the Eatons). But the screw type compressors (and the centrifugals too) are light years ahead in terms of efficiency. I'd bet the old roots type blower is only in the 40% to 50% efficiency range (my guess, anybody have any numbers?). Compare that to a good turbo which is in the 70% to 80% range (depending upon compressor and where in the operating range you're in). I doubt the Magna is at the same level of a good turbo, but I'm expecting its better than the 6-71. And the lower the efficiency the hotter the air entering the engine (and the more power it takes to spin the blower at the same boost level).

As far as the sheetmetal intake, I think it'd be alot easier to hog that manifold out of a solid chunk of alum on a good cnc mill than to do a completely fabricated manifold. Especially since the intake is dry (no coolant to worry about and no fuel to puddle). Would be a pretty good sized billet to start with however, and the machine time wouldn't be all that cheap if you have to pay for it (depends upon your connections).

'Dreamin'
yeah....the magnacharger is WAY more efficient than a roots style because it is an internal compressor (boost builds inside the blower case) vs. an external compressor (boost builds in the intake manifold).........but the magnacharder is just too small..........now if they had a "GM 10-71 Magnacharger" where the Magnacharger had the volume of a GM 10-71, then you could do some stuff.....

I would say on a limited production run, it would be cheaper to build a sheet metal intake (I would think)......a solid block of aluminum is not cheap.....now on mass production scale, CNC milled aluminum casting would be the best......

Originally Posted by technical
....though I said put the injectors in the ports so they spray into the head/back of the valve.........THOUGH.....fuel through the blower cools it so......
Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

You could go EFI, but I was thinking something along these lines...

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem that would arrise with not running carbs or injector on top of the blower is that the roots-type blowers are incredibly inefficient, and the fuel helps to cool, and seal the blower rotors. I am currently working on the tooling to create a blower to accept a 6-71 blower to go on a LS1, but it will likely run a mecahnaical fuel injection system, run an injector hat much like the one pictured above, and will most definitely NOT be meant for a street application. Creating my own manifold will alow me to dial in the proper blower setback, to maximize equal flow into all cylinders, and won't require near as much injector or compression stagger. Has anybody figured out what this is going into yet?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
The problem that would arrise with not running carbs or injector on top of the blower is that the roots-type blowers are incredibly inefficient, and the fuel helps to cool, and seal the blower rotors. I am currently working on the tooling to create a blower to accept a 6-71 blower to go on a LS1, but it will likely run a mecahnaical fuel injection system, run an injector hat much like the one pictured above, and will most definitely NOT be meant for a street application.
for the street, a pair of blower Holley 4150s would work just fine........

Originally Posted by Sandmann120
Has anybody figured out what this is going into yet?
who cares what.......as long as it's done (the manifold is out there), people will find something to put the 6-71 LS1 combo in.....
Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, a pair of Holley would work just fine on the street.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

For the street a pair of supercharger 600s will do the trick. A 6-71 is really just a touch too big. I am thinking that a Weiand 256 would do the trick nicely. Sure the roots are not as efficient as a twin crew or a turbo, but the WOW factor is definitely there. Besides that, it will make more power than most people will know what to do with anyways.

Check out the latest Weiand baby 142 kit for Vortec cylinder heads:

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...ower_Curve.pdf

Check out the fuel curve. That is with an out of the box 700 cfm supercharger carb.

Andrew
Old 09-02-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
but the WOW factor is definitely there.
Andrew

........thats the reason most people want a blower.......it just looks cool.........

Quick Reply: Big roots blower on LSx