Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this work for my tach?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work for my tach?

Well for some reason, my computer is sending a tach output signal, so right now I have no tach. But what I was wondering is could I run a wire off the negatives of one of the coils and have that signal multiplied by 8 to get a relativly accurate tach? Is there any harm in splicing into one of the negatives on one of the coils? Will multiplying it by 8 be enough or will it need to be 16 (because you have to multiply the original tach output by 2 for the stock thirdgen tach to be accurate)? Thanks.

Chris
Old 08-21-2005, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Well for some reason, my computer is sending a tach output signal, so right now I have no tach. But what I was wondering is could I run a wire off the negatives of one of the coils and have that signal multiplied by 8 to get a relativly accurate tach? Is there any harm in splicing into one of the negatives on one of the coils? Will multiplying it by 8 be enough or will it need to be 16 (because you have to multiply the original tach output by 2 for the stock thirdgen tach to be accurate)? Thanks.

Chris
Just get the Baker Electronix TSD box($40.00) easy hook up ... even easy for me!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I already have one...I wish I got the adjustable one, but o well. But what I was wondering is if thats ok to splice off the negative of a coil because the PCM is not giving out a signal. Thanks.

Chris
Old 08-21-2005, 10:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t know if it would be ok to splice off the negative of a coil, but that was what I was going to try. Found out that I could just change tach output in computer though EFI live 7 Anyway I found a diagram in a alarm instruction manual of how to connect the tach input for the remote start to a individual coil engine. It used a diode for each coil to isolate all the coils but still provide the correct 8cyl signal to the tach. If you are interested in a copy of the diagram PM me your e-mail, can`t figure out how to attach it to the post. And the correct V8 tach signal for your tach is 4 pulses per revolution.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-Body
I don`t know if it would be ok to splice off the negative of a coil, but that was what I was going to try. Found out that I could just change tach output in computer though EFI live 7 Anyway I found a diagram in a alarm instruction manual of how to connect the tach input for the remote start to a individual coil engine. It used a diode for each coil to isolate all the coils but still provide the correct 8cyl signal to the tach. If you are interested in a copy of the diagram PM me your e-mail, can`t figure out how to attach it to the post. And the correct V8 tach signal for your tach is 4 pulses per revolution.

Hmm interesting...you have a PM.

Quick Reply: Will this work for my tach?