Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 into 94+ stang questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005 | 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Default ls1 into 94+ stang questions

i'm considering taking on a project of this sort with a motor i have laying around. i've done a good bit of research on the swap so far. learned a good bit from the threads about Mystic's car already. but i have several more questions:

1. would a 4L60E fit in the trans tunnel of the stang? i'd rather a big-stalled auto anyway. so i figure this would simplify the issues of having to find somewhere to mount clutch pedals, figure out the hydraulics, etc.

2. what are you guys doing for instrumentation? i'd much rather stick with stock stang gauges but i doubt that would work. right now i'm considering some custom dakota digital gauges but that's a really expensive route

3. anyone know if a ls1-truck intake would fit under the hood (maybe with a cowl hood)? i know where i can get a truck intake for dirt cheap, possibly free. and on a college budget free is much better than anythind i'd pay for an LS6
Old 08-25-2005 | 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

1. Why dont you drop it into that Chevelle instead?

2. Gauges are always going to be tricky. If its a hybrid, you'll have to figure it out or pay soemone that already has.

3. The truck manifold will fit, but it is designed for low RPM torque. I could swear that I saw that tested in an LSx intake round up and it actually performed pretty good, better than the aluminum Weind/Ligenfelter manifold. I can't find that friggin issue anymore though...I think I lent it to someone and never got it back.
Old 08-26-2005 | 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

1. cuz that chevelle needs a crazy amount of money to be able to drive. about the only good thing on it is the body. the suspension, interior, seals, windows, and entire drivetrain have to be redone....and i don't have that kinda money

2. yeah i have a feeling i'm just gunna end up paying dakota digital to figure it out

3. i thought i read somewhere that the truck intake actually performs better than everything but the FAST stuff, even better than the LS6. i could be off on that but right now a truck intake for $50 or less sounds much better than anything LS6.
Old 08-26-2005 | 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

1. Well, I'm dropping one into a 94 Camaro, which is also a 4th gen, but with all of the stuff I have to change over, I should have been doing this in a 67 Camaro. Or better yet, I've often joked about putting it in my wifes old 91 Geo Metro

2. Well, most of the gauges can be bought after market (Autometer, VDO...) as you don't need the gauges hooked up to the computer for operation, just for your use/display. So you can go mechanical oil pressure, water temp, tach... The speedo is the only issue. You "could" get an after market with sending unit. You could also find out how many pulses are sent by the LS1 System, and find out how the Ford system works and get a buddy (or someone on here) that knows about electronics to help you design something.

3. I've read that too. The only problem on a conventional Fbody or vette, is that the truck manifold is too tall. Should fit OK in your mustang.
Old 08-27-2005 | 04:02 PM
On The Tree

i'm considering taking on a project of this sort with a motor i have laying around. i've done a good bit of research on the swap so far. learned a good bit from the threads about Mystic's car already. but i have several more questions:

Originally Posted by crazyidiot4.8
1. would a 4L60E fit in the trans tunnel of the stang? i'd rather a big-stalled auto anyway. so i figure this would simplify the issues of having to find somewhere to mount clutch pedals, figure out the hydraulics, etc.
The 4L60 bellhousing doesn't seem to be any larger than the T56. I have one of each sitting next to my car and I can't see much of a difference. I think it'd be a ton easier to get that to work than getting a clutch to work. I'd probably do the Auto, but since Cobras never came with autos in them, it just wouldn't be natural

2. what are you guys doing for instrumentation? i'd much rather stick with stock stang gauges but i doubt that would work. right now i'm considering some custom dakota digital gauges but that's a really expensive route
I was planning on getting an instrument cluster from Florida 5.0 , then using all Autometer gauges.

3. anyone know if a ls1-truck intake would fit under the hood (maybe with a cowl hood)? i know where i can get a truck intake for dirt cheap, possibly free. and on a college budget free is much better than anythind i'd pay for an LS6
I don't know how tall the truck intake is, but it may fit with a cowl hood. Why though? They do perform pretty good, but they look like ****. Ya they're cheap, but you can pick up a LS1 intake for nothing. I got one for free. Every shop that builds lots of LS1s usually have piles of them just lying around. I don't see why you couldn't get one for less than $50.

Quick Reply: ls1 into 94+ stang questions