Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 fuel level sender

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 fuel level sender

Since the C5's have 2 gas tanks and two inputs to the PCM for tank level. Does anyone know if the two signals are the same? What is the resistance value for the senders? The reason I ask is I am thinking of using a C5 instrument cluster and would like to have the fuel gauge work.

thanks
Old 08-28-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70 LS1
Since the C5's have 2 gas tanks and two inputs to the PCM for tank level. Does anyone know if the two signals are the same? What is the resistance value for the senders? The reason I ask is I am thinking of using a C5 instrument cluster and would like to have the fuel gauge work.

thanks
might also want to consider the oil pressure if your not using a vette motor/computer. It travels in the data 2 stream where the f-body goes straignt from the sender to the gauge. That is my big holdup now.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Conversion master

I thought about the oil pressure and was going to use a vette pressure sender and have the PCM flashed as a vette PCM.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

thanks
I'll have to look, but I believe they are combined and averaged. I think there's only one sig sent from the two. The two tank harnesses plug into each other and one connector branches off.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Conversion master

The averaging is done in the PCM. There are two signals sent to the PCM.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default C5 fuel sender signal-what is it?

So do you guys know how the C5 fuel senders and signal works? One reason I am asking is I own a C5 and all C5 and other same sender equiped cars have this issue the senders are junk! Over time the fuel gauge will become irradic droping to zero from half tank or other positions. The current theory or explaination is the high sulfer content in the gas coats the silver coated senders and blocks the signal going to the PCM. Then the PCM doesn't know what the value the sender is and drops to zero.

One thing I did read is that Chevrolet's cure is to replace both senders ($250 each) and reflash the PCM to change the sampling rate. I have not heard of any real sender solution so far.

What is the signal or ohmic value that is sent to the PCM?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought about the oil pressure and was going to use a vette pressure sender and have the PCM flashed as a vette PCM.
you will also have to change over to a vette fly by wire TB also.