Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gto ls1 in 71 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gto ls1 in 71 camaro

I was wondering if a 04 gto ls1 t56 would fit into a 71 camaro? I know the pan and pickup would need to be changed, but what about the accesories compared to a f body? Or should i get one out of a f body?
Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

F body is much easier. plus the gto is a peddel by wire (no throttle cable). more problems. The guys at speed scene wiring can give you even more tips
Old 09-04-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the 04 GTO was cable??
Also, I think the GTO and F-Body accessories are pretty close to being in the same locations.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The 2004 LS1 GTO is cable, the 2005+ LS2 GTO is wire.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi 71 camaro LS1, I also have a 71 camaro that I am looking to stuff a LS1/T56 into. i am definetly going to go with a f-body LS1 99+. I am currently working on the fuel system. Just bought the fuel pump assembly from tanks inc.

To answer you question, I think it would be easier to go with the f-body engine. They are easy to find at a reasonable price, they need little modification to fit into the 2nd gen bay and there is a few people who have done this so there is info out there. As for the drive by wire throttle on the 05+ GTO, that would just be extra pain to adapt into your setup...unless you are up for the challenge.

Are you a member of www.nastyz28.com ?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

I am considering the 04 gto ls1. I am pretty sure it is a cable throttle, but I am new to this and have a lot to learn. Like for the fuel system, I would like to try the corvette style fuel pressure regulator and a external pump. what would be the best pump? Can I use the stock sending unit with the 3/8 line for the supply? For the return line from the regulator, can i plumb it into the tank any where? I have a tank with the evaporative emissions control, so it has 3 lines in the front at the top of tank for the eec. Can i use one of these for the return? And then there is the clutch, the car is a 4 speed now and i want to switch it over to the hydorlic for the t56, how easy is this?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ill try answer what I can.
The fuel system you are planning to use is different from mine so I don't know much about it. However, check this link. http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/fuel.html He has the kind of set up you want. You should be able to use the 3/8 supply line but I would not recommend using the eec line for a return. You might want more info on that from others.
As for the clutch, go to street and performance and get their clutch master cylinder support bracket. http://hotrodlane.cc/PROJECTS/projectsindex.html#ls Follow this link and see how they use the braket. Check out the Biscayne, camaro and chevelle projects.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

What kind of set up is the fuel pump assembly from tanks inc.? Is it a internal or external pump?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

OPS! I was wrong the 04 gto is cable; sorry, I just checked my info. the late 04 / early 05 are the half and half ones. As for 05 they are peddle.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The setup from tanks inc is internal. I chose to go this way because of noise and cooling issues. ....less noise and the gas keeps the pump cool. Here is a link to how this setup looks like. http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks%2...%20Install.htm
Old 09-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for letting me know of the site. Just wondering where abouts are you going to put the fuel pump? Next to the sending unit? Which side of it? What else do you have planned? How for along are you with your project?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just started last week with the fuel system. I am going to get a new tank once I get one at a reasonable price. I will cut off a small part of the top of the tank and have some one weld in a sunken plate on the side of the sending unit. which ever side suits me best. I guess the key thing is to ensure the fuel pump setup does not interefere with the movement of the sending unit float arm.

What else do i have planned? Lots. I have been researching this swap for almost a year now and have taken lots of note and saved lots of web articles that help me. I will upgrade the wiring to handle the increased voltage demand and make the LS1 feel at home. As for the wiring harness and computer , I will leave that to the pros...i don't care to delve into adapting the harness for my setup.

Right now my car is running a small block 350 and 350 trans. They will be up for sale soon. here is a pic of my car. http://community.webshots.com/user/bobkiny
How about you...have you started the project yet? I am sure I can try help if you have any other specific questions.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, your car looks similar to the car i am working on now. I actually have two 71's. The first one i have had since high school. 71rs z28 clone, 406cu. 700r. 12 bolt posi 3.90 gear, hotchkis suspension and sway bars, 17'' tork thrust wheels. I am in the process of doing another 71rs. I was going to build another 406 and tremek 5sp. but, with the gas prices, i want mileage too. I am hoping the price will be close to the same for this type of swap. Just alot more work. So i think i am going to take the plunge. As for other questions, i am sure i will have plenty. All i have played with is sbc. with carb.

Quick Reply: gto ls1 in 71 camaro