Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 camaro, underhood fuse block Q?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005 | 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Question '69 camaro, underhood fuse block Q?

I have been searching, maybe not with the right key words, for info on running the fans, A/C, fuel pump, speedo/tach, and diagnostic port. Can you use the underhood fuse block/harness from a doner car for these items? I have a 2000 LS1/M6 with original engine harness and want to run the above items "in the system". Does that make sense?

Please help, wiring to me is like Astrophysics to a Labrador!

I want to do a very clean install, and run an elect. Speedo/tach.
Thanks, ATAK
Old 09-24-2005 | 11:51 PM
Launching!

My opinion is you would be better off working with the factory 69 Camaro harness and fuse block. There should be plenty of space to run the extra items. Also you can add a sub fuse block to add the new items. Another option is to purchase a whole new electrical system and add from there, like from Painless. It all depends what stage you are in with the car or how much the car is disassembled.

If it was my 69 Camaro and it had its existing electrical system intact I would get a factory wiring manual and look for places in the fuel block where I can use for the new items. If I couldn't incorporate all the items I would either add a sub fuse block or add individual fuses for the new systems. For example the cooling fans could have its own inline fuse since it is up front near the battery.

For A/C all factory Camaros had A/C so there should be a place for it in the fuse block. The PCM could be run from a empty fuse space in the block or from a sub fuse block.

If you get a factory wiring book you can see how to incorporate everything. I am sure you can find a buddy that can help you with the electrical. If I had the factory wiring book I know I could come up with a solution. I just incorporated my SpearTech harness into my cars factory wiring and proofed all the connections to verify I was working with the correct wiring. I have a full wiring manual for my car so it made it easy to figure out.

First thing is to get ahold of a factory wiring manual for that specific year, second find someone to help you incorporate the new items if you are not comfortable with wiring. If you do it yourself with whatever help you get you will learn alot and know how it works if there are any issues in the future.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2005 | 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

yes you can do all that. That is the way i wired my 67. All you have to do is sort through what you want to keep and what you want to shed. I cut the fyse harness at the fire wall and then i connected those wires to the camaro harness.

Quick Reply: '69 camaro, underhood fuse block Q?