Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progress on my S-truck swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Progress on my S-truck swap

Well, after moving at a glacial pace for most of this year, I have some genuine progress to report on my S-15 swap. First up is the A/C compressor bracket. I didn't want to mutilate the frame any more than I have had to already for oil pan clearance, so I decided to mount the compressor up high like a 4.3 S-truck has originally. After looking at John B's bracket, (thanks for the inspiration, John!) I made one to hold the compressor higher and that would line up with the Corvette accessory drive needed for this chassis. The bracket is made from 3/4" aluminum plate, mounting an LT1 compressor and LT1 tensioner. The original Corvette tensioner is now an idler. Down next to the crank pulley is an additional idler I made to hold the belt away from the thermostat housing, mounted to the original compressor bracket. It took many hours on the milling machine and lathe, but I'm happy with the results.

Next are the headers. 1 3/4" longtubes, 3" collectors, entirely of 304L stainless. I'm no stranger to fabrication, but this was a challenge. Starting with a big box of bends, a pair of flanges, and two collectors from Stainlessworks (>-----sponsor), I cut, fit, tacked, and finally welded out a set of headers that clear everything, (even the upper A-arms at full suspension compression) and should help me get the most from the heads/cam swap that is planned. Now it's on to the rest of the exhaust system.

More updates as they happen.......

David
Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great, and those aluminum brackets are freakin STOUT!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Sweet!
Old 10-08-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Hi David, NICE WORK, Is your steering shaft going to run thru the headers? Gonna be tight. I have a awd 93 that I'm working on, Ive been at it 1year this month. the headers are a real problem. I've tried about every oem manifold made. none will fit,i also have the shock towers to contend with. Pics of my truck at turbols6.com click on gallery, scroll down to TYHOONZ06. THANKS
Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

those brackets look nice. you could most likely market and sell them!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

lees high tech makes that same(almost looks exact) bracket its hard to tell without seeing them side by side...nice job though
Old 10-08-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

where did you get the headers from?
Old 10-08-2005, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sparkwirez06
Hi David, NICE WORK, Is your steering shaft going to run thru the headers? Gonna be tight.
Yes, the steering shaft runs through the headers. After I got the motor positioned where it needed to be, I installed the modified Jeep Cherokee steering shaft and built the headers with plenty of clearance to the shaft and everything else.

Your truck looks good. Did you think before you started it would be as much work as it has turned into? Years ago, when I put the L98 TPI in my truck, it wasn't half as hard as this LS1 is turning out to be. Even though, I think it will be worth it when it is done.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SatisTraction
those brackets look nice. you could most likely market and sell them!!!

Yeah, but even if I could get $400 each for them, (fat chance!) I'd still lose my a$$ because of all the time I have in them!

Originally Posted by s10-den
where did you get the headers from?
I made them.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by s10-den
lees high tech makes that same(almost looks exact) bracket its hard to tell without seeing them side by side...nice job though

Does Lees High Tech have a website... or contact info? Please PM me.

Wondering if the pictured A/C bracket would fit in an 03 S10? I'd buy one

Does Stainless Works make a set of headers that will fit in the last model S10's? I haven't talked with Al in awhile... maybe I should give him a call. BTW, nice headers

Bill
Old 10-09-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

lees does not have a web,some other crap comes up if you enter their addy.,they are here in south florida...i have all,well hold on.....727-344-1800..his name is lee,tell him what you need and he has it or will make it..last time i talked to him he was making the s10 headers for the s10-ls1 conversion..dont know if he has them yet or not...anyway give him a call...
Old 10-09-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I'll call
Old 10-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Teching In

billreid, let me know what you find out on the headers. I'm in need of a set also.
Todd
Old 10-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Looks sweet! Do you have to take the body off the frame to do the swap? I want to know how hard it would be to swap a LS1 with a M6 into a 1992 S10 4.3L (longbox). Any idea on 1/4 mile times?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s10dreamer
Looks sweet! Do you have to take the body off the frame to do the swap? I want to know how hard it would be to swap a LS1 with a M6 into a 1992 S10 4.3L (longbox). Any idea on 1/4 mile times?

No, it was just easier while I was fabbing up the headers to raise the cab up off the frame with the lift after checking fit. The LS1 swap isn't all I'm doing with the truck. Many other mods, plus bodywork, paint, interior, yada, yada, yada. Maybe one day I'll have it back together......

It isn't really hard to swap into an S-truck, but it is a lot of work to do it right. Anyone with decent mechanical skills and lots (lots!) of patience can do it. Oh, yeah, don't forget to bring a bunch of money!

With a stock LS1, quarter mile times will be roughly similar to a stock LS1
F-body. The S-truck isn't as light as most people think, unless you have a 2wd regular cab short bed with no options. My 2wd extended cab with most power options was over 3400lbs.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the weight thing. Even though my truck has the half fiberglass stepside bed on the back it weighed about 3430 with me in it I'm 200 lbs. So the truck is about 3200 even. That's a reg cab truck with a 4.3 in it. It's not super super light like most people would think. I would compare it to a Z06 in terms of weight more than anything but again I have probiably the lightest combo truck you can get out there.

Also, I would like to comment on Lee's High Tech. The guy does great work, but he doesn't get things to people in the most timely manner alot of times. Now, his stuff is expensive but you do get what you pay for also. He may not even have a set of LS1 headers out yet. I know they were talking about it but who knows if anything ever came of it.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.I presume it would be cheaper to swap a 350 or 383 stroker into a S10 then it would be to do an LS1 swap. Can the price of an LS1 S10 swap be ballparked?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

I'm doing this on my 91.. but as for the weight comment, the weight of my truck right now is 2650 with me NOT in it. all stock

are you building it for just something nice or bagging it or are you coilover/4 link/hot rod style? I'm doing mine for 1 season of racing in the Super Stock class in the EFI nats, then its to do it the way i want.. shockwaves all around, 4 linked, etc..

nice work so far, it looks reallllllly good.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by s10dreamer
Thanks for the info.I presume it would be cheaper to swap a 350 or 383 stroker into a S10 then it would be to do an LS1 swap. Can the price of an LS1 S10 swap be ballparked?
The price depends how far you wanna go... what do you wanna use? The LS1 long block, computer and harness is around 2500.. then you need a tranny.. you can use a 4l60e in your 92 or use a 700r4 like I plan to and already have. You will need to get some codes turned off, so might as well get it tuned, so add 400-500 for a good tune (i prefer nelson peroformance).. you can use the stock manifolds, but if you want headers, its gonna cost ya to have someone do it or cut up some f-body headers.. you need a radiator like the one from be cool and that's 500 bucks there, plus a fan, b/c the LS1 is an e-fan setup.

you're looking at ~3500 if you have the 700r4 and want a stock swap... even more if not... i'm building mine piece by piece.. gonna cost more, but its what i can afford right now. (dont forget motor mounts and the nickle and dime ****)
Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

dcdime Thanks for the price range. What style suspension are you going to use when you race in the EFI Nats. I've seen a bunch of S10's at the drags in super stock or stock class.They had wheely bars and pieces cut out of the rollpan so that the wheely bars could move.

Quick Reply: Progress on my S-truck swap