Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in 73 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ls1 in 73 camaro

hey guys, I'm looking to see if I can put a 99 ls1 into my 73 camaro. If so is there anything I need to do to make this work?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharp1
hey guys, I'm looking to see if I can put a 99 ls1 into my 73 camaro. If so is there anything I need to do to make this work?
It can be done. I have one in my garage right now. As far as making it work...There is multiple things you will have to do. You will need to fabricate some motor mounts. You will also have to update your fuel system to handle EFI flow and pressure. Figure out how you want to controle it, stock pcm, standalone engine management. Search this forum for more on that stuff.
you can see some pics of mine HERE
Go to the bios click on the 73.(some of the info is no longer correct) Mine is more of a custom race set up. but there are more out there that appear more stock or street. Goodluck

Last edited by camrsz; 10-22-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI wasup sharp1? I have a 71 camaro and have started doing this swap. I am yet to purchase the LS1/T56. I have my fuel system all ready and the clutch pedal is setup to. I have not fabrication skills but there is a bunch of parts that I can purchase to do this swap.

For the motor mounts, I am going to go with adapter plates that you can get from S&P (hotrodlane.cc) or go to ebay and type a search for ls1 motor mounts...you can get these plates for $39. If you have fabrication skills....more power to you.

As for the trans mount, I am going to go with one from BRP hotrods. Once again you can make the T350 trans crossmember work.

As for the fuel system, I bought an in tank pump setup from Tanks Inc and and new gas tank off eBay. I cut a section off the top ( about 9' x 13 ) and welded a 1' deep plate/box (so that the fuel fittings would clear the trunk floor). I then cut out two holes for the sender and fuel pump assembly. I am also using a Corvette fuel filter/regulator. I went with -8AN for supply and -6AN return braided lines

As for the computer and wiring harness, i believe if I set my mind to it, I can make it work...but I am not willing to go through all that husle so I am going to send the harness and ECU to speartech.

if you want more specific info post this quest in the forums of this website. www.nastyz28.com There is a guy who did this in his 71 camaro and he loves it. He has given me lots of help.

PM me if you have further questions...I'll try and help.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pics of a 71 with an LS1 in it. I have seen the car, the guy posts on this board from time to time, that's how I met him. I don't know a lot of the details, but hopefully the pictures will help.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails ls1 in 73 camaro-s-camaro-002.jpg   ls1 in 73 camaro-s-camaro-001.jpg   ls1 in 73 camaro-s-camaro-003.jpg  
Old 10-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Teching In

hey guys, thanks for the tips. Any more will be muchly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Schitzo
As for the fuel system, I bought an in tank pump setup from Tanks Inc and and new gas tank off eBay. I cut a section off the top ( about 9' x 13 ) and welded a 1' deep plate/box (so that the fuel fittings would clear the trunk floor). I then cut out two holes for the sender and fuel pump assembly. I am also using a Corvette fuel filter/regulator. I went with -8AN for supply and -6AN return braided lines

You wouldnt have any pics of the fuel tank would you? This is pretty confusing for me. I've been considering mounting an external tank outside and below the original tank but im not sure about how to sump the tank.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Ken
You wouldnt have any pics of the fuel tank would you? This is pretty confusing for me. I've been considering mounting an external tank outside and below the original tank but im not sure about how to sump the tank.
wow, 2005 seems like a long time ago. Lots has changed since then. There are way more options available now for fuel systems in 2nd gens. Anyway, you can find more info on my setup in the link below.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2073647/3
Old 02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

do any of you guys have pics of the fuel system? or part numbers??
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

You can get a Spectre bolt in EFI fuel tank from RockAuto for around $450.00 after you use a 5% off coupon. Search on google for a coupon code.

If your stock tank is in good shape the Tanks Inc setup would be another good route to go.

I think the Spectre tank is well worth the money. The quality is great and it bolts right in.

Quick Reply: ls1 in 73 camaro