Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 into 96 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005 | 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 5.3 into 96 Blazer

I have a 96 Blazer I'm putting a 05 Suburban 5.3 into. I would like to keep the electronic throttle body. What inputs are required to do this. Ie wheel sensors etc. Also, would I be able to use the Blazer cruise control switch on the column, just wiring it to the 5.3 computer. My understanding is the computer controls cruise via the throttle body. No cruise control module required. Also, where would be a good place to find the gas pedal assembly?Anybody make the motormounts for putting the 5.3 into a 4x4 96 Blazer. I'll be removing the front differential and shafts.
Old 10-30-2005 | 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Me thinks you need to do some digging.... Not sure if anybody here has the answer to give you regarding the computers. I don't think you're going to be able to eliminate the '96 computer (from what I've seen). You'll need it for the gauges and such to work properly (unless you're ditching them).

Motor mounts are available from Turbotime. They should also have an oilpan available soon to clear the front diff.

I'm not sure you can safely remove the front axle shafts completely. You may have to dissassemble the axle shaft so that you keep the "stub" on the wheel end....Seems to me I heard it keeps the hub together. May vary depending upon year. You'll need to research that too....

And, lastly, I'm not sure if there are any headers or manifolds that fit without serious modifications. This is one area I'm not sure what I'm going to do....

'JustDreamin'
(soon to be putting a 6.0l into a 1999 Olds Bravada)
Old 10-31-2005 | 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 5.3 in 96 Blazer

Thanks. I'll be making my own mounts and headers. Plan on going with a 2x 4l60e built up. I'm going to set the engine and tranny back alittle and just a little lower. I know i'll have to keep the computer from the 96 and the 2005 Suburban. I just decided I want to keep the electronic throttle body if possible. The oil pan I plan on modifying myself to fit. Cut a little off the bottom and it should fit without the differential in the way. Looking at some tubular a arms with coilovers to replace the front suspension and torque arms.
One of the syclone sites has this setup, but it still is 4x4.
Old 11-01-2005 | 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

None of the guages are controlled by the factory pcm. Except for the tach and speedo the new pcm has the capability to run the tach and speedometer in your factory cluster. The drive by wire will do away with the factory cruise box on your 96. The throttle actuation module controls the throttle body and cruise funtions. I am not sure if cruise is class two communications to the t/a module or a hardwired function. Or it could be hardwired to the pcm then class two data to the t/a module.
Old 11-02-2005 | 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
None of the guages are controlled by the factory pcm. Except for the tach and speedo the new pcm has the capability to run the tach and speedometer in your factory cluster.
Are you sure that the '05 PCM will interface with the '96 BCM to run the gauges? I was under the impression that the '96 & '97 trucks, while being OBD2 do NOT use the Class 2 data link, and therefore you can't get the BCM and PDM to play nice directly. Please correct my impression if it is not accurate.

Now if his truck was a '98 or newer (like my '99 Bravada) he (and I) should be able to make everything work off of the LSx PCM without any difficulties (PCM will talk with the BCM and such without issue since they're using the data link). Again, if I'm wrong here, please enlighten me. I don't want any suprises when I do my swap.

'JustDreamin'
'99 Bravada waiting for a 6.0l