AWD TT Trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Pics of your Dad's Lamborghini please?
Originally Posted by 530transam
dude i dont even have pics of my own car.Plus do you know how many times ive been demanded to prove it?You learn after a while that its stupid to care if someone beleives it or not.A lambo is just a car just like anything else.If people didnt buy them they wouldnt be making them now would they?Anyway i was thinking-wouldnt the austrailian gtos awd parts fit our cars?dont the use the same transmission?does anyone have any contact info for recyclers in australia or a holden dealership?its caled the holden manaro over there right?Do you think they even know what a trans am is over there?
DUDE How would I know how many times you have been asked for anything? I don't know you. And where in my above post did I "demand you prove it"??? I asked for pics of the car because I LOVE those cars. Pardon the hell out of me for thinking someone with the kind of money your family seems to have that you just might have a picture of a sweet-*** ride. Nor did I ever say, claim or insinuate that you were lying or not being truthful........you have 11 posts here, get a grip, grow up, chill the f**k out and realize that people here like to see pics of things that others have or have seen. Forgive us for being human and appreciating nice things.

Originally Posted by FastKat
I don't think anyone's trying to call you out on whether or not you're being honest.... we just want to see some Lambo pics!! As you spend some time on the board, you'll see that EVERYONE likes to see pics of EVERYTHING... whether it's a sweet car, a sweet-*** girl or a melted down turbo engine.... we like pics!!
I concur although this kid jumped on the "I don't have to prove anything to you guys" bandwagon so fast I would be willing to believe he is full of Someone was awfully defensive about something that was never said or suggested (that he was lying). :shrug:
Old 11-14-2005, 04:39 AM
TECH Pimp

Hey guys you don't need to be so rough on the kid.. Don't worry Kid they gave me the same hard time when i told them about the time Paris Hilton and I took my lambo out to meet with my dad the Czar of china, but hey I showed them.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:18 AM
TECH Addict

No one has to believe him, although I have a hard time of it... but here's my argument:

How can you compare AWD vs RWD between a z28 and a LAMBO!? The differece you would feel is the insane italian engineering of lambo to make a TIGHT handling car. There really can't be an established comparison there.
Try and find a vehicle that has been made in both fasions and drive them both. That will be the test. Oh, and of course make sure they are both stock for a good comparison.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Teching In

There are some misconceptions in this thread.

I had a ~350hp WRX (no awd dyno in the area, but comparablely modded wrx's had 350hp). I broke 3 trannies, 2 rear diffs, and 3 center diffs.
Why?
A. The wrx tranny is made of toothpicks and bubblegum
B. Wheelspin is your friend, it keeps things from breaking.

what I'm saying is if you really did want to carry through with this scheme, wrx parts are crap.

My high 1.7 60' were nice, but a nitrous ls1 f-bod on good rubber out 60' me at the track.
A well setup RWD car will out handle a well setup AWD car, AWD (sans trick torque splitting tech, read $$$$) plows, and wastes power. A Z06 will hand a diablo it's *** on a tight road course.

As for the cyclone/typhoon transfer case. They can't handle over 500hp in a 2600lbs car (According to either steilow or lillard, forgot who, that built the famed quadradeuce). If you were to do a tt ls1 with awd you'd need a beefed up escalade transfer case. I have a friend, who is very hooked up, and is an engineer, who is building a turboed AWD '68 firechicken, and he's using the escalade bits. He's really wanting to do it to be an innovator.

...and whoever said the czar of China... China doesn't have a Czar.

-Matt

Last edited by MattSEG; 11-14-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _Zac
Hey guys you don't need to be so rough on the kid.. Don't worry Kid they gave me the same hard time when i told them about the time Paris Hilton and I took my lambo out to meet with my dad the Czar of china, but hey I showed them.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Pimp

Thank you Pat for having a sense of humor.. Aparently our boy Matt above you there wouldn't know sarcasm if it were to slap him in the face..
Old 11-14-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

I think this is an amusing thread.....

The concept of an AWD TT Trans Am is an interesting idea. Not sure how practical it'll be to stuff all those parts into a '99 f-body. Personally, that sounds like you'd need to put a completely new front subframe (or a total tube chassis) to be able to do AWD. But still a cool idea.

AWD certainly has some advantages and disadvantages. I think all of the WRC cars are AWD, and I don't really think anything that is FWD or RWD would be faster. Those guys throw those cars around. And a number of the Pike's Peak hill-climb record holders are AWD. Any application where you've got more power than rear tire grip is an excellent candidate. I'm sure the NASCAR guys would love to get some additional forward bite by sending power to the fronts. But it does take some revisions to your driving skills. I watched a driver competition that was taped in France. Jimmy Johnson was running one of the WRC-type cars against a WRC driver. Jimmy was doing fine until he got it sideways (into a nice powerslide around a left hander) and then mashed on the gas (to keep it sliding) and then the front end "grabbed" and instantly hooked right, slamming him into the outside berm. Pretty much ended his chance of victory. Was that the car's fault? No, it did exactly what it should have, its just Jimmy has never raced AWD vehicles, all his experience (Nascar and off-road trucks) is with RWD. But there is definitely more weight to pull around, and likely more power stealing drag. And if you don't have traction issues, then why bother with the extra hardware?

Anyway, the some of the points Matt made above are valid. The WRX stuff won't hold any power or more precisely torque (which is what big V8 motors are all about, right?). The BW4472 transfer case (Syclone, Typhoon, Bravadas, etc) probably is only good to about 500hp in a manual transmission application, because of the extra shock loading involved.

In an automatic application (where the shock loading is reduced somewhat) the transfer case will live much longer. There is at least 1 Syclone (in Sweden no less) that is running low 9's (on a V6) with the factory transfer case and basically full weight (of probably 3400 lbs) and he's driving the truck 300 miles round trip to go to the dragstrip. (Side note: How many 9 second cars have a level of dependability that you'd feel comfortable to run a 150 mile trip to and from the dragstrip?). There are a number of other Sy's and Ty's that are pushing 9's and 10's, all with the factory t-case. They do fight front axle wheelspin/hop however. And are busy breaking other things like the transmission (700R4 is not quite up to 600+ hp and AWD) or the weak 7.5" rear axle (which isn't up to the task either).

I think the sarcasm is hilarious (can't you just picture Ross Perot?). Czar of China.

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-14-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Best post ever.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first off-rottluver;im sorry i jumped your *** so fast.When i saw your smily in your thread i thought he was laughing is why i got pissed.Now that i look at it i see hes smiling and nodding.Let me tell you all something about the lambo-Havnt you ever wondered why when you see lambos they have practically no miles one them?Its becuase they break all the time.The interior sqkeaks and weve had four lug nuts just snap off.The air ducts that open up on their own have been stuck open since the first week we had it,Im not complaining about that one it looks a lot better.This car is longer than people think.And you think our fbodies are hard to see out of?The lambos great on a racetrack but if you drive it through the city its more of a chore than a pleasure.Anywho- my dad and i went to a meet once and this guy asked to drive my trans am.I didnt know why but i said "if i can drive your car"he had a diablo vt.he let me since my dad said he lets me drive his car when i want.My dads murcialago is awd,this dudes vt is rwd.The vt was out of control.Kind of in a fun way but its scary when you cant see anything out of the car when your sliding sideways.The mercy(as we call it) is way more in control and has an attitude of "lets get there before them" as opposed to the vt which was more like"well get there first if you can keep me pointed in the right direction" that was what made me want all wheel drive.Not comparing my brothers car to my dads.

On a different note-i cantacted a holden dealership in some part of australia(i used the "find a dealer near you"option on the holden homepage.The Parts manager which also happens to be a member of holden racing infomed me that there is no awd gto/manaro.They have a differnt car which is a station wagon that uses the hummer four wheels drive system that engages electronically off of the abs sytem.I was so surprised to learn they used hummer parts.He said i would need the sump driveshafts and tranfer and to modify the floor pan.He said on my own it would be hard but with a team itd only take a week or two. I have a lot of thinking and sorting to do.I have a lot of different ways i can go If anybodies from california and wants to get in on this action let me know.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know this may be overkill,bu i also plan on making a flush headlight kit similar to that of a modenas(no nobody in my family owns a modena lol).And maybee a front bumper.i want to make a new front bumper that eleminates all that ugly over hang.I also want a new rear bumper that deletes that hideous bump but i dont know what that intails.I'll make a drawing wraping up all my ideas and post it here.I do in fact have pictures of my cars but evertime i try to post it says its too big of a file.Does any one know how to fix this or can i email them to someone to resize them?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Teching In

sorry, I was slow this morning, I had just gotten up.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'm pretty sure they do in fact make an awd GTO. May not be a GTO but it sure looks damn close to the same. Try this link its called the Coupe 4 http://www.hsv.com.au/cars/vz/main.a...frame_main.htm
Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Teching In

That is a GTO. There was a post about it earlier in the thread.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious how you went through 5 T/As in 4 years of driving? How many do you still have? How many have you balled up?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.ive had my car completely apart if you take all my experience and add it up.
Did you do a frame off on your 99?

Would you be doing the work yourself, or have a shop do it?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

my dads lamborghini murcialago and awd feels awesome as opposed to my trans am my brothers a28 and my moms zo6.Ok the z06 is pretty sweet regardless.Plus'i like doing things that are really different to my cars.
Ok, it sounds like your family has money. anything is possible with enough money. If you really want to make an awd TT Trans Am i say talk to a custom fabricator like Mike Moran or someone of the nature and tell your daddy to pay for it. From the likes of it he'll probably say yes.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

howd i go through 5 tas in four years?Well.there was 5 fbodies i should say.When i was 9 my dad bought a totaled 1988 firebird v-6.Over about a years time me and my uncle completly restored it-it was gorgeous.I was in love with that car.We used a camaro hood and fenders and custom fitted everything it looked bad ***.Then when i was 14 my mom took me and we traded it in on a 1994 firebird v-6.All i knew is i wanted a newer model firebird i didnt understand there was a v-8 or v-6 or firebird or trans am.I love that car to death its my baby and i still have it in the showroom at my house i only put about 100 miles on her per year now.Then when i turned 18 i wanted a v-8 so i got a 1994 trans am gt.Decided i wanted the newer style so i sold that one to my brother and bought a 99 trans am.I like this one all most as much as my v-6.Lol i know im crazy.Oh yea and in my junior year high school i bought a 96 camaro r6 cause my freind needed money so i bought her car.She wont accept charity.So i had it for 2 days then the bus driver literally ran it over.Since i didnt have insurance yet the school wrote me a check.i paid off the loan and dissassembled the car i took off every bolt there was on that car.Then i reassembled it and gave it to the school.They turned it into a class project and made it really really nice and Gave it away in a raffle to raise money for school supplies.They raised over $50,000 selling tickets at $50 a pop!

ok the hsv quattro coupe-i contacted hsv and they are a seperate company from holden.They buy monaros and convert them like saleen or ruf to porcshe,its a little bigger than slp to pontiav becuase they are considered a sepaerate car company.He said i should be able to bolt up their parts and modify only my floor pan.The catch?You have to have a vin number and australian registration with id to purchase their parts!I also learned they buy monaros and convert them to gtos and simply ship them here!so gtos are way less pontiac than we thought.

Have i done a frame off-simpy put-no.

Am i gonna do the work myself?-uh,no.I dont trust myself enough.i can take a car apart and put it back together but i dont want to try to custom fabricate something that is going to effect my car this much.I can do body work easy ill make headlights and such but only becuase if it doesnt work you just bolt the old ones up. I would like to find a custom fabricator but i know of none in the area.If i find one i would love to hang out while he workd on my car and help in any way i could that would be so much fun.

And for the record-my parents are loaded.They have a lot a lot of money.Me?not so loaded.I work 12 hour days at $9/hr and am putting myself through very expensive school and paying for my car.My parents think its necesary for my growth and ill agree to that.I was a spoiled little bitch but now im just a normal guy.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Pimp

LOL I think my dad (the Czar) can beat your dad up. What about that?
Old 11-22-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL I think my dad (the Czar) can beat your dad up. What about that?
I got $5 on your Dad
Old 11-22-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you are gonna build an AWD Twin Turbo LS1 car on $9 an hour with NOOOOOO help from your rich daddy?

Bull ****.

Lets assume you pay nothing for food, rent, insurance, clothing, gas, cable, power, or any other things required for life, and you make $8 an hour after taxes.

The assume $20k for all of the parts and free use of tools, shop, etc... and you do EVERYTHING yourself (paint, welding, allignment, etc). BTW, IF you work 12 hours a day and go to school, so when are you gonna have time to build it?

Anyways, at $8 take home into $20k in parts, thats 2500 hours... at 12 hours a day, thats 208 work days.

Just a normal guy my ***...

Bull ****.

Quick Reply: AWD TT Trans am?