Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD TT Trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD TT Trans am?

ok as my car sits now its an automatic ls1.99 trans am.In the near future i would like to convert it to a t56,and twin turbo charge it.I would also love to have it converted to all wheel drive.Has anyone ever done this before?What would it intail?a whole new tranny or adding a transfer case?Where would i get the parts?Is anything from a wrx compatible since suburus part gm?any help would make me happy.like most my ideas,ive never heard much of this or i take that back,ive never heard anything at all on this topic so i dont know where to turn.Think about the pull a tune ,win turbo ls1 with all four wheels going, would feel!What about the sound?would i brake traction in 2nd gear?i think i would my friends 2005 audi tt barks second and that only 225 horsies think about 600!
Old 11-05-2005, 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

converting to a t-56 ain't nothing...do that if you want to have a fun driving car. if you want a full out drag car that will whoop *** stay automatic and upgrade the hell outa your car and your tranny. my friend (a girl believe it or not) has a 99 trans am automatic and she has borla exhaust, shift kit, stall, intake, and she runs 8.00's in the 1/8 mile..and she is wicked off of the line

how about this...buy a subaru or lancer and swap an ls1 in it or even better swap a ls6 or even the ls7 in one of em'

dude...our cars don't have the room to do that. I don't mean to put you down or anything but how long have you had your 99 trans am?? and how much do you know about it? it just doesn't seem like you know a whole lot right now to be thinking about all that. I'm not trying to be an *** i just want you to realize what you are getting into. I have an 01 trans am ws6 and I do everything myself, I have only gotten to tuning my car with my computer and I want a turbo....its a little $$ but if i wait and save i will have it and know how to tune it.

basically if you want a fast *** drag car that can bracket race and can beat anyone off of the line stay automatic

if you want a fun car to drive and shift gears in and have fun racing go with the t-56...or even an upgraded t-56..they are weak stock
Old 11-05-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

become better at rwd? awd is a crutch unless its snowing..
Old 11-05-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8KickassRS9
become better at rwd? awd is a crutch unless its snowing..
or wet, or there is anything on the road

get a GTO, order the AWD parts from Austrila, convert it and have a sick car
Old 11-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

You could try seeing if parts from the AWD Montana minivan would work (though it's probably a longshot). Good luck.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

zl1killa;just to let you know this is my fifth trans am at the age of 20.ive had my car completely apart if you take all my experience and add it up.

People always says there no room for things but have you checked out an evo?or a mustang?theyre smaller and they make it fit.anything can be done if you want it theres always a solution. i only want a t56 for fun.i realize an automatic usualy has a gain at the strip but im trying to stay away from the strip and do some gt event type driving.As far as getting a gto thats a killer idea but get rid of my ta for a hoat?not happening anytime soon!Ill check into the minivan parts or you just reminded me that vibes are awd as well.there has to be someone whos done this.And to let everyone know-im not trying to have the fastes drag car.ive driven my brothers awd eclpipse gsx and my dads lamborghini murcialago and awd feels awesome as opposed to my trans am my brothers a28 and my moms zo6.Ok the z06 is pretty sweet regardless.Plus'i like doing things that are really different to my cars.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

awd and trans am shouldnt be in the same sentence
Old 11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Look you can do it...but you need to use the tranfer case from a typhoon or cyclone...and you will need to rework the k member. Thats really the only way to do it. Its about the only tranfer case i would put in it due to the proved ability to hold all that horsepower. I also beilive that the firewall would have to moved back a bit to fit better. I have a few more ideas but that could get you strated, If you are looking for someone to do it, pm me Its something that i could do with a little time.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cop Car
or wet, or there is anything on the road

thats called knowing how to drive for certain conditions... hell le mans races in the rain and a lot if not all of those cars are rwd.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I have always thought about awd cars. I own a WRX. Guys with 300hp are in the 12's. That's fast for that power. Besides I can blaze corners at 90 mph in the rain like nothing. I have driven as fast as 90mph in the snow. Car sticks like glue. There is a WRX here in the middle of an LS1 conversion and he deleted the front drive because of space. I was going to look into the new Ford 500 for AWD and lowered stance when I do my next truck. Everyone always says why would you want AWD. They just haven't lived with one to understand that traction is king, not HP.

Let us know what you come up with. I would be very interested.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 530transam
ive driven my brothers awd eclpipse gsx and my dads lamborghini murcialago
Pics of your Dad's Lamborghini please?
Old 11-11-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude i dont even have pics of my own car.Plus do you know how many times ive been demanded to prove it?You learn after a while that its stupid to care if someone beleives it or not.A lambo is just a car just like anything else.If people didnt buy them they wouldnt be making them now would they?Anyway i was thinking-wouldnt the austrailian gtos awd parts fit our cars?dont the use the same transmission?does anyone have any contact info for recyclers in australia or a holden dealership?its caled the holden manaro over there right?Do you think they even know what a trans am is over there?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I ruin the end of films...

zl1killa;just to let you know this is my fifth trans am at the age of 20.ive had my car completely apart if you take all my experience and add it up.
Well then you've obviously been under the car to realize there isn't enough room to put a transfer case and front drive axle under one of these cars. Toss in the tubing for a couple turbos and I don't see any way to make it work.

Of course, what do I know...I've only owned one TA.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM actually built an AWD Trans Am. I have seen the car in one of their project garages. It can be done, but is was not easy. They used the AWD transfer case from a cyclone. I spoke with one of the garage guys and not a single panel in the floor of this car was stock. I believe they also had an oil pan with a pass-thru for one of the front axles. There was a ton of custom work done to make everything fit. But I was told that it was fun to drive. I believe they just added a corvette motor with a hotcam.

I had dreams to make my car TT and AWD as well. Maybe someday.....
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, you're not ignorant, you're stupid. Is that what your saying?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sharpe
So, you're not ignorant, you're stupid. Is that what your saying?
no need to be a dick, like he said in his earlier post, anything can be done. How much time and money do you have? thats the real question. with the line up of cars your family has, i would assume you have a little chunk to get you started....good luck, and post pics of progress to show people in here that are narrow minded that anything can be done with some cash and some time.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why would that make me stupid? where would i find parts off of a cyclone?Those are prett rare right?i mean theyre kind of before my time but ive only saw one my whole life and the guy was a sort of a car colector.His daily driver is a viper rt 10 and once in a while youd see him in a pantera or his cyclone.One day i was pumping gas at the chevron he owns and i asked him why he doesnt drive the cyclone more because i think theyre really cool little blazers.His response was"when was the last time you saw a cyclone as clean as mine?"well the answer is ive never saw another one.His is the only one.So do i have to hunt down a wrecked cyclone or is there a part number still in exsistance?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
GM actually built an AWD Trans Am. I have seen the car in one of their project garages. It can be done, but is was not easy. They used the AWD transfer case from a cyclone. I spoke with one of the garage guys and not a single panel in the floor of this car was stock. I believe they also had an oil pan with a pass-thru for one of the front axles. There was a ton of custom work done to make everything fit. But I was told that it was fun to drive. I believe they just added a corvette motor with a hotcam.

I had dreams to make my car TT and AWD as well. Maybe someday.....
I rember that I was going to post somthing about that
Old 11-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cop Car
You would really need a LHD car, the steering shaft would get in the way if you used a GTO.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think anyone's trying to call you out on whether or not you're being honest.... we just want to see some Lambo pics!! As you spend some time on the board, you'll see that EVERYONE likes to see pics of EVERYTHING... whether it's a sweet car, a sweet-*** girl or a melted down turbo engine.... we like pics!!

dude i dont even have pics of my own car.Plus do you know how many times ive been demanded to prove it?You learn after a while that its stupid to care if someone beleives it or not.A lambo is just a car just like anything else.If people didnt buy them they wouldnt be making them now would they?Anyway i was thinking-wouldnt the austrailian gtos awd parts fit our cars?dont the use the same transmission?does anyone have any contact info for recyclers in australia or a holden dealership?its caled the holden manaro over there right?Do you think they even know what a trans am is over there?

Quick Reply: AWD TT Trans am?