Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 3rd gen exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like some F-body shorty headers would work, or some truck headers. I was thinking of going with some truck headers, I have a hawks K-member on order so I should have a little more room than stock
Old 11-17-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

shorty's dont flow much better then the stock manifolds. The hawks headers fit great, i had no issues at all and it tucks awsome. My car is lowered about an inch and i scrap very rarley on the y-pipe, not the headers. I have a pair of 01-02 manifolds if anyone is intersted.

Justin
Old 11-17-2005, 10:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
shorty's dont flow much better then the stock manifolds. The hawks headers fit great, i had no issues at all and it tucks awsome. My car is lowered about an inch and i scrap very rarley on the y-pipe, not the headers. I have a pair of 01-02 manifolds if anyone is intersted.

Justin
do you have a before and after dyno # or track times with the headers?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

sorry i do not, i did it all at once, but i'm sure they would be very much like they are on the 4th gens.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenK
crainholio, you arnt even being slightly usefull in this thread, your just stirring the ****, so kindly STFU and get out unless you have some usefull input.
Pointing out a clueless individual talking out his butt about headers shown to fit several normal LS1/thirdgen combos is valuable service. No need to thank me, but you're welcome anyway!

(And if you could spell at least at the middle-school level, your comments would carry more significance.)
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio
Pointing out a clueless individual talking out his butt about headers shown to fit several normal LS1/thirdgen combos is valuable service. No need to thank me, but you're welcome anyway!

(And if you could spell at least at the middle-school level, your comments would carry more significance.)
I guess the other people that has problems with the headers are lying. Go to some of the swap sections on other boards and read. And the school level comments are played out. Get some new material and try again.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skippydn
I guess the other people that has problems with the headers are lying. Go to some of the swap sections on other boards and read. And the school level comments are played out. Get some new material and try again.
Arguing with idiots is at the bottom of my priority list so there's not likely to be new creative material out of me.

On the other hand, if you've really been hearing the school level stuff a lot maybe it's time to get the message and pick up a book.

Repeating monkey-spank you've read on other boards is lame...step away from the keyboard and get some experience of your own.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Arguing with idiots is at the bottom of my priority list so there's not likely to be new creative material out of me.

On the other hand, if you've really been hearing the school level stuff a lot maybe it's time to get the message and pick up a book.

Repeating monkey-spank you've read on other boards is lame...step away from the keyboard and get some experience of your own.
Then why do u keep running your dicktrap about the subject. The lame school level quotes just shows what a true dumbass u are. I am working on a swap right now. Are u to slow to understand that? So how much did u pay for your swap? If u would like to keep this chat going then pm me. I don't feel like getting ban.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Then why do u keep running your dicktrap about the subject. The lame school level quotes just shows what a true dumbass u are. I am working on a swap right now.
Not sure about the "running your dicktrap" thing, if that's some type of mouth reference I'll just ask if you make a habit of talking while you type. I just use my "dickskinners" when I'm posting, but if your cognitive process requires your lips to move in order for you to form a thought and type it that's interesting.

As you're researching your (probably nonexistent) swap and trying to sort thru all the noise, you'll notice there is a lot of garbage mixed in with what you're looking for. Posts like yours, sharing unverified 2nd-hand information, are worse than no info at all.

Are u to slow to understand that?
I'll admit I have a tough time interpreting bad spelling & grammar into legible English.

So how much did u pay for your swap? If u would like to keep this chat going then pm me. I don't feel like getting ban.
No thanks. Go ahead and respond if it'll make you feel better, I'm done. I sure hope you don't get "ban" either, that would be a huge loss...nobody to tell us about un-named other boards where someone of questionable ability had problems making a part fit.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Angry

Not sure about the "running your dicktrap" thing, if that's some type of mouth reference I'll just ask if you make a habit of talking while you type. I just use my "dickskinners" when I'm posting, but if your cognitive process requires your lips to move in order for you to form a thought and type it that's interesting.

As you're researching your (probably nonexistent) swap and trying to sort thru all the noise, you'll notice there is a lot of garbage mixed in with what you're looking for. Posts like yours, sharing unverified 2nd-hand information, are worse than no info at all.

I'll admit I have a tough time interpreting bad spelling & grammar into legible English.

No thanks. Go ahead and respond if it'll make you feel better, I'm done. I sure hope you don't get "ban" either, that would be a huge loss...nobody to tell us about un-named other boards where someone of questionable ability had problems making a part fit.
I didn't know thirdgen.org was an un named board. Shows what a dumbass u are. Since u don't want to pm(but still want to run your mouth), how about u tell me where u are located so we can handle this in person. Don't be a ***** all your life.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

PM sent, we're all done.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

crainholio. none of the talk started until you posted.

As for other people having fitment problems. Thats the nature of hot rods and after market parts. Sometimes things dont fit perfectly and you have to modify either parts or your ride to make everything work. Its the nature of the beast.

The headers I received dont fit MY car perfectly. However, they fit, and thats whats important.

So for people that did read past all that, and are looking for headers on a thirdgen. Go with Hawks or something custom, 4th gen stuff won't fit.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

my hawks didnt fit at all.
had to cut a large portion of my bellhousing on my th350 on each side.
bang the frame in on the passenger side, relocate fuel lines, brake lines, etc.
bruce said they were close.... but when the header was bolted up, it was pushing hard against my lines, i couldnt even snug the header up. the 02 bungs are useless. no room for an 02 sensor.
these headers would be an extremely tight fit if you had a powerglide or a th400 in the car.
im sure they were built off a t5 or t56 setup, where there is more room.
i dont doubt that.

for the price, and the quality, it was worth it.
when you buy one of the 1st ten sets of headers, you cant expect them to fit, or the man selling them know where and what they dont fit on any given car.

good luck guys.
lets keep it on topic.

they are on, and ill have my y pipe welded up tomorrow.
holidays will be hard to get to the track, it may be a couple of weeks for some results.
i hope they pick up some et for me!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I will stick with the 01+ manifolds.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

For those interested, don't make the same mistake I did. I've got a 2000 LS1, and wanted to get the 01+ manifolds because of !EGR and they are supposed to be the ones to get.

Well I got them in.. They are identical except that the holes for EGR are not cast. I've still got to get AIR block-off plates (doh! forgot about that). I'm thinking about just buying the three piece set of plates and not even taking the 2000 manifolds off the engine.

I thought the 99 and 2000 manifolds were the same, so the only difference between them might be needing a $4 block off plate.

Kevin D.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

TJ, you should post up some pics from under the car when you get the Y Pipe made, I would really like to see how they are done. I'm gonna take my car somewhere to have teh header back exhaust done so pics might be good to take with me. What did you do with your o2 holes if you said you didnt have room, im curious about that as well.

shr00m, my 2000 already had the EGR blocking plate on it luckily, dont forget to turn it off in the ECM too!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:48 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by exodus
I think I will stick with the 01+ manifolds.

Thanks for the help.
the headers are a great choice, dont let me stop you from buying a set.
mine didnt bolt on perfectly... thats not to say the next set wont.
with any part there is always a lil fabrication involved.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:49 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StevenK
TJ, you should post up some pics from under the car when you get the Y Pipe made, I would really like to see how they are done. I'm gonna take my car somewhere to have teh header back exhaust done so pics might be good to take with me. What did you do with your o2 holes if you said you didnt have room, im curious about that as well.

shr00m, my 2000 already had the EGR blocking plate on it luckily, dont forget to turn it off in the ECM too!
the y pipe is TIGHT.
ill get some pics up this weekend for you.
got a front seal leak on the converter seal, so if you see some gunk in the pics... its tranny fluid.

if a th350 aint leaking, it aint running right.
hehe.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

just do a custom tt setup and run the dp's to a custom y-pipe
Old 11-24-2005, 12:51 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 8KickassRS9
just do a custom tt setup and run the dp's to a custom y-pipe
im thinking of doing a big single blow thru.
i wont decide until this stock motor lets go, then ill build the new one to fit.
nitrous is so much cheaper, tho filling the bottle gets pricey over time.
turbo is free once bolted up.