Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring up the alternator to mate with my original harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring up the alternator to mate with my original harness

I'm coming to the home stretch of my LS1/T56 swap into my '67 Camaro, but I just ran across something I hadn't previously thought of. How do you wire up the LS1 alternator to mate with the original Chevrolet wiring harness?

My original alternator had three wires, 12 gauge red wire, 14 gauge white and 14 gauge blue wire. The LS1 alt only had one tan wire connected which was extremely small, however the plug has open connections for three other wire terminals. How do I intergrate the two?

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:13 PM
9-Second Club

Default Re: Wiring up the alternator to mate with my original harness

I just finished the swap on my 67, and ran into the same thing, i removed the factory regulator(toss it!)out of the 4 wires that went to the regulator one is key power (don`t confuse this with the 12v constant)run the key power to the terminal plug in the alt. The blue & white wire the old square(factory car harness) plug just remove them as they are no longer needed, and run the battery 12v to the stud on the back! it works great!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I've already got the loopback connector that bypasses the voltage regulator and the plug that converts the connection from the generator style to the alt plug. So you're saying eliminate the white and blue wires and just use the big red one on the alternator stud, right? Which wire are you saying to wire into the alternator plug? If you know the color that would help.

Thanks for the feedback.

<small>[ September 10, 2002, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Brian Bowlin ]</small>
Old 09-16-2002, 07:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is how it worked out on my chevelle, maybe the color codes are the same. The wires that were on my original voltage regulator are a large red, then smaller orange, white and blue. I soldered the red and orange together,then ran it to the positive battery. The white is not used. The blue is conected to the yellow on the corvette alt, not sure if it is the same as f-bod. The way this works is the blue gets power with ignition on and energizes the field for the alt, and the red provides power to the fuse box. I don't remember what the orange does. The red from the alt, not the same as the red described previously, charges the battery. This has worked flawlessly, in fact, once my belt broke and the gen idiot light came on and in return I shut it down. Most likely saved the engine from over heating. Good luck, Blake

Quick Reply: Wiring up the alternator to mate with my original harness