Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into 58 Impala???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 into 58 Impala???

Ok, I just discovered this site and wanted to ask for help. I have a 58 Impala. I was planning to install a 454/400 into it but a friend of mine has a 1998 Corvette LS1 that I can get. I am very mechanically inclined and have worked on numerous projects but never have worked with newer motors. As far as installing I am sure I can figure it out, but what about electrical? I know he has the harness and computer. Is that needed/ Do I need another computer? I have a 400 trans, will it bolt on? Also you guys refer to F-bodies and such, what does that mean. Whats the difference in a corvette LS1 vs a camaro? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Troy
Old 12-09-2002, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Default Re: LS1 into 58 Impala???

There are many people on here more knowledgeable than I am, but I will hit what I know.

"As far as installing I am sure I can figure it out, but what about electrical? I know he has the harness and computer." Get a stand alone harness from John at www.speartech.com. Or better yet, John can rework your harness and reprogram your computer to bypass VATS (Vehicle Anti Theft System)
"I have a 400 trans, will it bolt on?" LS1's have different bolt patterns. Also, you wouldn't want to run a new engine and not have an overdrive trans to get the full benefit out of it. This motor will get good MPG, even in a sled like yours, with a 4L60E transmission.
"Also you guys refer to F-bodies and such, what does that mean." F Body = Camaro / Firebird Y- Body = Vette
"Whats the difference in a corvette LS1 vs a camaro?" Oil Pan, Exhaust Manifolds, Coil Pack Covers.

I did my best. Anyone else care to fill in...
Old 12-09-2002, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: LS1 into 58 Impala???

I'd only add a few things. First, purchase a set of Service Manuals from Helms for the vehicle the engine came out of. You'll need them sooner or later and you may decide to modify your own harness (wiring diagrams in manuals). You can use a TH400 on a LS1. Not exactly sure how, but there are a lot of guys running TH350/400's. Do a search in the drivetrain section. You'll need the computer out of Vette. The only other difference in the engines that Derek 357i didn't mention would be your accessories are situated different than on a F body.

Quick Reply: LS1 into 58 Impala???