Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car wont start. little troubleshooting help please?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 05:20 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car wont start. little troubleshooting help please?

ok, i tried to fire up the beast today with no luck... (93z28 with 99ss guts) the fuel pump comes on and primes, but i dont seem to be getting juice to the starter solenoid. no click click click. the gauges are just about all lit up i think, and the speedo is pegged. i let down the parking brake and the night illumination came on?!?!
there is nothing in the car remaining from the 93, its all 99, even the gas tank/lines, ect.
here are some things i was thinking might be causing some gremlins;
-dont have a maf or iat hooked up yet
-may not have any gas in the tank
-both the pcm and ibcm took a hit in the wreck i pulled them out of.
-the bundle of wires going thru the firewall under the pcm was cut through by a sawzall and had to be soldered back together. some of the wires in there had duplicates, and im wondering if i might have gotten a couple of them soldered to the wrong thing. i think there was 2 greens and 2 greys the same identical size and color. i assumed they were in the same circuit so i didnt think it would matter.
any help would be fantastic.
thanks,
jeremy
Old 12-16-2002, 10:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: car wont start. little troubleshooting help please?

You should have power to the starter even with the conditions you describe although I would think that you would have made sure that you have gas in the car!!!

Time to get an ohm meter out and verify your wires for power. Get the shop manual out and start checking the power from the steering column ignition switch to the solenoid.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

thanks for the reply... i spent some more time on it last night. i put 5 gallons of gas in there, so im now sure it has gas :-).
im almost POSITIVE its the wires that were cut. not sure if youll remember which ones im talking about, but its the small bundle that has a 2" grommet around it. theres a blue connector and a white connector that plug into matching connectors that hook into the dash/bcm.
there is 3 grey wires that look identical, but 1 has 10v on it, another has 5v and the other has a different reading. so i dont want to do the guessing game anymore. the next step is buying a shop manual for a 99 with a wiring diagram.
jeremy
Old 12-17-2002, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need to hook up the wire to the solenoid to your starter. I would use the wire from the original starting system. You also need the BCM wired up to get the injectors to fire. This includes the correct resistance. Do you by chance have an ignition key for the car the engine came out of??? LS1.com has pin outs for all years including 99 you could use those and a DMM to figure out what they are. I don't know what you have or don't but you are going to have to get power to the injector and coil packs. All pink wires need 12V+ in crank and run
Old 12-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

i used EVERYTHING from my donor car. basically i just swapped the bodies. the '99ss now resides in my '93z28. every single wire,hose,nut,bolt,and component. :-)
i just ordered my repair manual ($120) but in the meantime...
can anybody tell me what these wires go to?

2- green with white stripe wires
2- plain green wires
3- grey wires

remember, this is in the section of harness that goes into the passenger side of the firewall just below the pcm. 16-18 wires total i believe, with 2 connectors; 1 white 1 blue.
the rest of the wires im sure i got connected to the right thing, since there was only one... (only one pink wire, only one yellow wire, ect.)
i have alot of wire chasing to do. for now,
im going to check around on ls1.com... thanks guys!
jeremy

<small>[ December 17, 2002, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: vtec ]</small>

Quick Reply: car wont start. little troubleshooting help please?